18 year old drinking waiver

Savmom9801

I live in the UK and as a restauranteur am allowed to give 16 years olds beer wine or cider (cider ***) am I allowed to say that ?, with their meals. I have also been on an unbeknown to me US spring break cruise. Oh gosh, so very awful. Puking teens everywhere. Wanted my money back. Those kids had never had a wine or beer and were let loose on the rest of the world. Bless them.

Drinking is fine as long as you do not abuse it.. As an Italian/ Latvian family we introduced our children to wine quite early. We appreciate the flavours and little kick back from a fine wine. Our children have never felt the need to go out and 'get plastered' and ashame themselves. They are now in their mid 40's and still enjoy a drink but not too excess.

I think that molly-coddling children ,when they should be adults by 18 , is a huge mistake.

I agree with you totally. I think it's a cultural thing in this country that we don't seem anywhere near changing.

I agree with you totally. I think it's a cultural thing in this country that we don't seem anywhere near changing.

Along with the cabin restrooms on the Epic, that most of the rest of world find nothing wrong with.

I live in the UK and as a restauranteur am allowed to give 16 years olds beer wine or cider (cider ***) am I allowed to say that ?, with their meals. I have also been on an unbeknown to me US spring break cruise. Oh gosh, so very awful. Puking teens everywhere. Wanted my money back. Those kids had never had a wine or beer and were let loose on the rest of the world. Bless them.

Drinking is fine as long as you do not abuse it.. As an Italian/ Latvian family we introduced our children to wine quite early. We appreciate the flavours and little kick back from a fine wine. Our children have never felt the need to go out and 'get plastered' and ashame themselves. They are now in their mid 40's and still enjoy a drink but not too excess.

I think that molly-coddling children ,when they should be adults by 18 , is a huge mistake.

give or sell......;)

Along with the cabin restrooms on the Epic, that most of the rest of world find nothing wrong with.

Huh?

what he is saying is that on the epic, the walls of the separate shower/toilet are translucent so the kids can see mommy or daddy showering or sitting on the toilet when they are in the cabin. i don't like it but others don't seem to mind. i think the poster was implying that the rest of the world is fine with it but i disagree.....it's a personal issue, not a cultural one.

i think the poster was implying that the rest of the world is fine with it but i disagree.....it's a personal issue, not a cultural one.

It definitely is a cultural one, your personal thought process is very much affected by the culture you were raised in.

Coming from a culture where sauna (including nudity in mixed gender/age company) is a regular, everyday thing and has absolutely no sexual innuendos, I have to say that in my opinion most people from North America (especially from US) are from my point of view prudes because that is unusual for the culture there - and this shows also with their everlasting "privacy" issues of Epic's bathroom design.

In Europe setups like that are not unusual even in hotels and pretty much nobody bats an eye.

It definitely is a cultural one, your personal thought process is very much affected by the culture you were raised in.

Coming from a culture where sauna (including nudity in mixed gender/age company) is a regular, everyday thing and has absolutely no sexual innuendos, I have to say that in my opinion most people from North America (especially from US) are from my point of view prudes because that is unusual for the culture there - and this shows also with their everlasting "privacy" issues of Epic's bathroom design.

In Europe setups like that are not unusual even in hotels and pretty much nobody bats an eye.

i disagree but let me break it down. i'm american and wife is german and i lived in europe for 13 years as an adult so i've seen both sides of the fence. most of my explanation has to do with kids seeing parents nude.....even through tempered glass. we're not talking about being nude around strangers which definitely would be a culture thing, we're talking about being nude in front of your kids and that is not a culture thing, here or in europe. also tempered glass has poor sound insulating qualities and very few people enjoy the sounds of someone going to the bathroom, again either here or in europe. having travelled extensively in europe, i have never seen the set up that the epic has in europe in a hotel or b+b room. yes, there are nude saunas where you can sit next to a naked stranger and while it doesn't bother the wife, i don't care for it.....so that aspect is cultural. but there is no sauna i have ever been to that allowed kids younger than 16 and that.....along with toilet sounds.....is what turns me off to the epic.

i disagree but let me break it down. i'm american and wife is german and i lived in europe for 13 years as an adult so i've seen both sides of the fence. most of my explanation has to do with kids seeing parents nude.....even through tempered glass. we're not talking about being nude around strangers which definitely would be a culture thing, we're talking about being nude in front of your kids and that is not a culture thing, here or in europe. also tempered glass has poor sound insulating qualities and very few people enjoy the sounds of someone going to the bathroom, again either here or in europe. having travelled extensively in europe, i have never seen the set up that the epic has in europe in a hotel or b+b room. yes, there are nude saunas where you can sit next to a naked stranger and while it doesn't bother the wife, i don't care for it.....so that aspect is cultural. but there is no sauna i have ever been to that allowed kids younger than 16 and that.....along with toilet sounds.....is what turns me off to the epic.

I have been on the ship twice, and you can't "see" anything. Also, there is a curtain separating the shower / toilet area from the rest of the cabin. I have been on the Escape twice as well, and you hear way more "bathroom noise" from that enclosed bathroom then you do on the Epic!

Thank you. Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I believe that is the reason that the Epic was supposed to go to Europe and never come back to the States. If it was personal and not cultural that would not have happened.

Edited by zdcatc12

I have been on the ship twice, and you can't "see" anything. Also, there is a curtain separating the shower / toilet area from the rest of the cabin. I have been on the Escape twice as well, and you hear way more "bathroom noise" from that enclosed bathroom then you do on the Epic!

i have no idea how good your eyesight is but i could definitely see my wife's silhouette and flesh tones......use your imagination....while showering and on the toilet. while the showering aspect did not bother me ;) , the toilet aspect did and i would leave the cabin when she needed to use the restroom to provide some level of decorum for the both of us. for myself, i went upstairs and used the facilities on the deck since we were only 1 deck below. if it doesn't bother you, that's fine and you should feel free to enjoy the epic. as for us.....and i'm sure others, we won't ever sail the epic again due to their bathroom.....specifically toilet.....layout. i have never sailed the escape so i have no idea as to what their layout or sound proofing is like.

Ive read and seeing videos of cruise trips that have "kids" who get stupid

because they are drinking and get into fights, stubbling around like idiots....etc. Is this what cruising has become? Letting kids drink? Why? They cant drink back home....Id really like a good reason for this issue to even come up

In some countries the kids can legally drink before 18.

I didn't. :eek::cool:

Nor did I but then I come from a culture where he legal age is 18 and it isn't uncommon to let a kid have a drink while they are with their parents, either a wine (sometimes watered down) a beer ( or shandy) or even like my niece a about a teaspoon of sherry over some ice cubes ( probably get more alcohol from some cough syrups), but as is so often here if you dare disagree.......

I suspect this parental authority business started because people would go on a cruise, who were able to drink in their own country,methinks say a 19 year old from Australia, and NCL realized hat if they stopped them they would loose a bit of business.

Imagine the stink if they allowed parents to auto rise their 19 year old Aussie sone to have a beer but didn't let an American family do the same.

It really is a shame that a guy old enough to put on a uniform and defend his country cannot have a beer but thanks to our spineless congress(no upper-case letter for them any more, not worthy) they are sort of not allowed.

I'm pretty certain that the parent must be travelling with them to sign the waiver.

I wonder if a notarized letter from the friends parents would allow the adults traveling on the ship to be able to sign the waiver?

I wonder if a notarized letter from the friends parents would allow the adults traveling on the ship to be able to sign the waiver?

It did not in my case. Rules changed in the seven years between taking my nephew and my niece 7 years later. It worked for him but by the time I took her it was a no.

Edited by DMH15

It did not in my case. Rules changed in the seven years between taking my nephew and my niece 7 years later. It worked for him but by the time I took her it was a no.

Thanks, seemed like a possibility worth exploring