Anthem Review- March 7-19, 2016

It sounds like they are just adjusting how it's presented. Like on my 3 day Anthem all four restaurants served the same menu each night. You will just stay at the same table every night I'm guessing. And just like now they will limit the number of classic seatings, still offer MTD, and tons of people will still opt for the specialty dining rooms since that is one of things that ship is known for.

Actually sort of interesting the uproar here when they said these ships would have dynamic dining and no MDR and now they are switching to a more traditional concept again and there will be another uproar. :)

I don't think there will bean uproar because they eliminate Dynamic Dining, but more so because everyone will have to scramble to re do all of their dining reservations and or make sure that they are placed in the correct dining time to accommodate all the show reservations they made.

I'm not sure how they can do that without adding many more tables. The capacity that I've seen posted here for each of the restaurants:

American Icon = 430

Chic = 434

Silk = 434

Grande = 432

Coastal Kitchen (Suites) = 125

Total: 1855 x 2 seatings = 3710 (this assumes suite guests are assigned to eat in Coastal Kitchen and cannot go to the other 4 dining rooms).

Maximum Ship capacity = 4905

So that would mean 1195 guest would have to eat in the specialty restaurants or buffet or other dining options, such as Johnny Rockets, Sorrento's or Room Service.

How would they assign dining for the 1195 guests that cannot fit in any of the included dining rooms?

Even if they have MTD as an option there would still be difficulty fitting everyone in without expanding capacity.

Any thoughts from others who have been on the Anthem, is this do-able?

When I was on the Quantum they had exactly that problem, and they added izumi as a complimentary dining venue. They might do something like that again. They could possibly make Izumi, and Jaimie's, complimentary so as to have enough tables for everyone.

Edited by dedosr

So what you are saying is that there will be a early seating and a late seating, no MTD, and the time you eat will be determined by your cabin??!!:eek::(:mad: OMG, what a nightmare that is going to be!!!

No! What I'm saying is you will have early or late seating in the same dining room that you will be assigned to for your entire cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure how they can do that without adding many more tables. The capacity that I've seen posted here for each of the restaurants:

American Icon = 430

Chic = 434

Silk = 434

Grande = 432

Coastal Kitchen (Suites) = 125

Total: 1855 x 2 seatings = 3710 (this assumes suite guests are assigned to eat in Coastal Kitchen and cannot go to the other 4 dining rooms).

Maximum Ship capacity = 4905

So that would mean 1195 guest would have to eat in the specialty restaurants or buffet or other dining options, such as Johnny Rockets, Sorrento's or Room Service.

How would they assign dining for the 1195 guests that cannot fit in any of the included dining rooms?

Even if they have MTD as an option there would still be difficulty fitting everyone in without expanding capacity.

Any thoughts from others who have been on the Anthem, is this do-able?

Hey, I'm just relaying what we were told personally by the head of all dining rooms (David). I guess they will make it "do-able". I do t think they care whether the passengers think it can be done or not. What they have now is not working and they are changing it!!

Of all the good and bad things I have read about Anthem, I don't think I ever read about anyone having serious issues getting a table for dinner. It does not seem like there are crowd issues, it seems like there are presentation issues (food being served cold for instance) which could be from trying to serve 4 different menus each night and moving your staff around each night.

I only visited one of the four restaurants for muster drill. I think a lot of people choose the ship for the many other dining options. I have read lots of people talk about Anthem and say they didn't want to have to sit through a two hour meal. If the ship is generally accommodating the passengers now, I just don't think there's reason to be certain it will be a disaster when they tinker with how it's all presented.

Edited by MattInFLL

We had a great cruise. Just some bad experience in the dining part. I can tell you that we were told by the staff that spoke to us that the current dining program is not working out as they had hoped and that within the next few cruises they will be turning the current 4 restaurants into "main dining rooms".

Confused. How will they be able To do that when people cruising have already made all their dining and show reservations especially while the ship is sailing t full capacity?

You and me both.

Someone on our April 18th Roll Call said changes would be happening in May.

How can they do this by cabin especially if you are sailing with a group and have already made dining reservations to eat together each night at different restaurants?

And..............what about those folks that have to eat early due to health reasons????:eek:

Actually myself and another couple I am traveling with have that problem. We are both diabetic. Would they take that into consideration?

Actually myself and another couple I am traveling with have that problem. We are both diabetic. Would they take that into consideration?

Yes, and you should contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] and inform them of your condition and dietary requiremements.

In classic early seating is 5:30. How much earlier would you want?

We just booked 4 cabins on the Anthem for the July 9, sailing a week ago. At that time our travel agent told is something is really strange with the dining. She said Classic Dynamic dining is CLOSED. No wait list or anything, just closed. All we could do is Dynamic Dining. When I went to the cruise planner, we got premium times with no trouble at all 4 dining rooms. I was shocked since we booked so late. SOMETHING IS UP!! :confused::confused:

We are on the same sailing. I was on with the RCCL rep yesterday and moved out of Classic because we wanted to select which night to go the Grande. Might go more than once.

I don't think there will bean uproar because they eliminate Dynamic Dining, but more so because everyone will have to scramble to re do all of their dining reservations and or make sure that they are placed in the correct dining time to accommodate all the show reservations they made.

With all due respect, but we booked our upcoming b2b2b on Anthem while on the Inaugural Cruise on Quantum back in November of 2014. I was able to make all dining reservations at the restaurants we wanted and at the times we wanted back in April of 2015. We booked Anthem because we so enjoyed DD Choice and all the new menus and variety of foods. The menus on the other ships are getting old and boring.

I do hope that RCI is considerate and informs those that have already booked their dining venues and times about any new changes before they board.

Same here. My husband is on an insulin pump and eating early and at the same time each night is important to him.

Edited by cruisenfever

I was on the 3/7 and was told in two different restaurants that they are changing to MDR an MTD in May. The MDR will be Chic and Grande with 2 seatings and MTD will be American Icon and Silk. There's also Solarium Bistro, Costal Kitchen,WJ and the pay restaurants.

If they have MTD in two restaurants they should be able to accommodate everyone with seatings from 5:30 until 9:30. We were finished dinner in most of the restaurants in 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. I'm hoping it's not going to change. I like dining in different places each night.

Also the restaurants were never crowded when we were there during prime time of 7:00. Some were less than half full. I don't know where everyone was eating, but there were always a lot of empty tables, and I never saw a line waiting to eat.

Edited by gaylemh

I was on the 3/7 and was told in two different restaurants that they are changing to MDR an MTD in May. The MDR will be Chic and Grande with 2 seatings and MTD will be American Icon and Silk. There's also Solarium Bistro, Costal Kitchen,WJ and the pay restaurants.

If they have MTD in two restaurants they should be able to accommodate everyone with seatings from 5:30 until 9:30. We were finished dinner in most of the restaurants in 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. I'm hoping it's not going to change. I like dining in different places each night.

Also the restaurants were never crowded when we were there during prime time of 7:00. Some were less than half full. I don't know where everyone was eating, but there were always a lot of empty tables, and I never saw a line waiting to eat.

Will there be one menu in all like in the Mdr on other ships?

NCL seems to successfully keep a smaller MDR for traditionalists and then offer lots of options for everyone else with all the other dining options they offer and not to run into problems. Anthem could do the same. But probably a lot of headaches as they transition, and lots of outcry.

The real tragedy would be if they switched to a Mojo, Saffron, etc menu. That needs to go away/get re-imagined on all ships :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by MattInFLL

The real tragedy would be if they switched to a Mojo, Saffron, etc menu. That needs to go away/get re-imagined on all ships :)

Noooooooooooo. That would be a real step backwards.

NCL seems to successfully keep a smaller MDR for traditionalists and then offer lots of options for everyone else with all the other dining options they offer and not to run into problems. Anthem could do the same. But probably a lot of headaches as they transition, and lots of outcry.

This is awful news for me personally... I loved the ultimate choice and flexibility of DD. I guess now if I ever meet Clarea, John, MadFlyer, Beachnative, etc or any other CC'er on Anthem like I did with Merion_Mom, I'll be stuck in my MDR table/chair without the ability to change my dinner seating daily like I did with Merion_Mom and others when I sailed Quantum. I thought it was a fabulous concept and added a new and exciting experience, much much better than MTD overall, plus an excellent change-up rather than seeing the same RCL menu like on every traditional ship over and over again.

I bet we'll see an outcry from cruisers (ie. plenty of CC posts to be seen) who cannot book an "early seating" cabin cause they're all sold out while there's hundreds of "late seating" cabins avail. Oh well... we asked for it.

I feel Anthem will become like MTD... shouldn't be called MTD at all, should be called "Don't Bother Showing Up When You Want, Reserve Months Before You Sail Else You Wait Until Late Dining"

I bet we'll see an outcry from cruisers (ie. plenty of CC posts to be seen) who cannot book an "early seating" cabin cause they're all sold out while there's hundreds of "late seating" cabins avail. Oh well... we asked for it.

Where did you ever hear they were doing dining by cabin? That's insane.

They would never be able to book dining times by what cabin you have. If anything they will do the dining like on other RCCL ships. You'll be able to pick early or late or MTD. I'm still hoping that what I was told is just a rumor, and they will keep DD, but I have a feeling there are changes coming.

One of the waiters told me that the change was because many of the C & A upper tier levels were complaining.

When I was on the Quantum they had exactly that problem, and they added izumi as a complimentary dining venue. They might do something like that again. They could possibly make Izumi, and Jaimie's, complimentary so as to have enough tables for everyone.

Not Izumi.

Devinly Decadence.

Where did you ever hear they were doing dining by cabin? That's insane.

They would never be able to book dining times by what cabin you have. If anything they will do the dining like on other RCCL ships. You'll be able to pick early or late or MTD. I'm still hoping that what I was told is just a rumor, and they will keep DD, but I have a feeling there are changes coming.

One of the waiters told me that the change was because many of the C & A upper tier levels were complaining.

Our information came from Daniella (the"Boss") at Chic and David (the "Big Boss) of all the dining rooms. .. And you are all misunderstanding what I said about "each cabin ". Let me re-phrase... Each reservation booked will choose either early or late seating. They will then be assigned to one of the restaurants which will be referred to as dining rooms as there will be one menu per night, and will report to that particular restaurant for either early or late seating each night. No switching, no separate menus, everyone gets the same menu. They said that dynamic dining is going to be gone. They did not mention anything about My Time Dining. The Bosses said that the reason is because they know that the current dining plan is not working.

Edited by Lady Luck T

With all due respect, but we booked our upcoming b2b2b on Anthem while on the Inaugural Cruise on Quantum back in November of 2014. I was able to make all dining reservations at the restaurants we wanted and at the times we wanted back in April of 2015. We booked Anthem because we so enjoyed DD Choice and all the new menus and variety of foods. The menus on the other ships are getting old and boring.

I do hope that RCI is considerate and informs those that have already booked their dining venues and times about any new changes before they board.

Same here. My husband is on an insulin pump and eating early and at the same time each night is important to him.

They said the new dining would be happening within the next few cruises.