Ice water lots of it?

Agentwho

Hey guys, great site and love reading all the info here but the search isn't really giving me the answer I'm looking for. Lots of hits on the Ice Bar and Ice cream lol

My question is about ice water. I'll be going on the May 22 cruise of the Getaway and plan to do several shore excursions. I like filling my Camelbak pack with all the ice the 2L bladder will hold then topping it off with water. This gives me cold water to sip on for a long while and creates a nice cool spot where it rest on the back.

On to the question, I've read there are no ice machines for passengers so I'm thinking the easiest way do this is to stop by one of the bars and ask them to top me off.

-Will they be willing to do this for me?

-Do they have enough ice on hand to spare me taking a nice bit of it?

-If you know of an available ice machine where is it?

-Any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks for any reply's :)

I always make it a point to introduce myself to my room steward as soon as possible. You can ask any crew in the hallway where your room is located and they likely would assist finding them for you. I usually have a few simple requests and prefer to talk to them (as opposed to leaving a note).

My (2) ideas:

You could ask yours for a bucket of ice on port days (or any other time)...I'd even show him the Camelbak. I don't know what your schedule is, but something like a approx 1/2 hour before disembarking.

If he isn't cooperative, try ordering room service (the free continental breakfast) the night before and ask for a large bucket of ice.

Good luck....looks like a nice accessory, btw!

Hey guys, great site and love reading all the info here but the search isn't really giving me the answer I'm looking for. Lots of hits on the Ice Bar and Ice cream lol

My question is about ice water. I'll be going on the May 22 cruise of the Getaway and plan to do several shore excursions. I like filling my Camelbak pack with all the ice the 2L bladder will hold then topping it off with water. This gives me cold water to sip on for a long while and creates a nice cool spot where it rest on the back.

On to the question, I've read there are no ice machines for passengers so I'm thinking the easiest way do this is to stop by one of the bars and ask them to top me off.

-Will they be willing to do this for me?

-Do they have enough ice on hand to spare me taking a nice bit of it?

-If you know of an available ice machine where is it?

-Any other ideas on how to do this?

Thanks for any reply's :)

There are plenty of ice machines in the buffets in deck 15 and 16

So there is an ice machine I can use, Great! That just makes things nice and simple. I was pretty sure I could get it done at any of the bars but it is nice to know I have options.

Thanks for the helpful responses :)

So there is an ice machine I can use, Great! That just makes things nice and simple. I was pretty sure I could get it done at any of the bars but it is nice to know I have options.

Make friends with your room steward. The stewards always have an ice chest with ice in the halls to service the rooms. She/He can get you a bucket of ice (more than the little ice bucket in your stateroom).

Thanks for the helpful responses :)

This is not an ice machine where you scoop out from a bin, it is an ice dispenser for beverages. As the previous poster stated, you will need to fill an 8oz glass tumbler from the dispenser, dump this in the camelback, refill the tumbler and repeat dumping into the camelback until full.

This is not an ice machine where you scoop out from a bin, it is an ice dispenser for beverages. As the previous poster stated, you will need to fill an 8oz glass tumbler from the dispenser, dump this in the camelback, refill the tumbler and repeat dumping into the camelback until full.

I thought back on this after posting and wondered if that was the case. I don't want to be the guy holding up the cup ice machine for everyone and certainly don't wanna be the person who uses up all the available ice filling his 2 liter container haha. I'm not so keen on having a big bucket of ice in the room, it's a solo studio and don't see the need to take up more space. Sounds like I'll be making friends with some bartenders... At least I have practice at that ;)

You're on the Getaway in a studio? I haven't stayed in there but I think that there may be a drink dispenser with ice machine in the studio lounge. I did a ship tour of the Breakaway and I am almost positive I saw one there. (And yummy cookies, too. :D ) If not, just let your room steward know that you would like the ice to fill the Camelbak on each port morning. My guess is that he or she will make sure you have what you need with no problem.

Also, the ice from the drinks dispenser is crushed ice, not cubed. Seems to me that it'll melt very quickly in your camelback.

Also, the ice from the drinks dispenser is crushed ice, not cubed. Seems to me that it'll melt very quickly in your camelback.

I am just off the Getaway yesterday and the ice dispensers in the buffets are small cubes, not crushed ice.

I'm not so keen on having a big bucket of ice in the room, it's a solo studio and don't see the need to take up more space.

Being in a Studio, you'll have your own personal bartender right there in the lounge. They will be happy to take care of you!

• 2 months later...

After cruise update

Hey there everyone. I wanted to touch back on this topic after my cruise and let you know what I found to work best.

The bar in the studio lounge is only open from 5-7 at night so getting ice from that one was out. The first port day I went to Manwell (one of the great bartenders) at Sunset bar. They had no problems filling it for me but I took so much of their time and felt bad for holding drinks up from everyone else.

After that I decided to take the great advice given here and just have the ice bucket in the room filled. I was quickly able to fill my Camelbak by hand. Couldn't help but wonder what the room steward thought I was doing with it all haha. Topping it off with water from the sink was a bit awkward but after figuring out the best way to hold it all was well.

Thank you all for the great advice and I hope this can help someone in the future. In hot humid weather it is very important to stay well hydrated and this is one of the best that I have found.

After cruise update

Hey there everyone. I wanted to touch back on this topic after my cruise and let you know what I found to work best.

The bar in the studio lounge is only open from 5-7 at night so getting ice from that one was out. The first port day I went to Manwell (one of the great bartenders) at Sunset bar. They had no problems filling it for me but I took so much of their time and felt bad for holding drinks up from everyone else.

After that I decided to take the great advice given here and just have the ice bucket in the room filled. I was quickly able to fill my Camelbak by hand. Couldn't help but wonder what the room steward thought I was doing with it all haha. Topping it off with water from the sink was a bit awkward but after figuring out the best way to hold it all was well.

Thank you all for the great advice and I hope this can help someone in the future. In hot humid weather it is very important to stay well hydrated and this is one of the best that I have found.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know how it worked out.

Thank you for the update. I hadn't seen your original post and will be on the Escape in a studio in December. That's a great idea to take a Camelbak for the water and something I now plan on doing in December.

Carrie