Grand Cayman with a 5 year old??

chelle1019

Hello All :)

So I was hoping to get some advice or tips :) It is just myself, hubby and our 5 year old son cruising on Disney Fantasy (1st week of May) and I am having the hardest time planning our excursions. With my son being 5 I am finding we are limited to the excursions we can participate in.

Grand Cayman: I was thinking of doing the turtle farm. I have ready pretty good reviews. Those of you who have 5 or 6 year olds have you done this before? Is it a whole day thing of should we plan on something else as well like the beach?

Thank you :)

I haven't been to the turtle farm in years, so maybe someone could offer their help there :)

Seagrapes Public Beach is a great family beach. There is a nice playground at that area of the beach, as well as bathrooms, changing rooms and food/ drinks at Calico Jack's, plus vendors like Seymour's Jerk Chicken selling food right on that area of the beach.

Edited by CocoCandy

I'm curious about this as well. We are going on RCL Navigator in April and it seems like the island tour that includes "Hell" Turtle Farm & Stingray city is a bit too much for my 5 yr old in one day. Would really like to go to Turtle Farm, has anyone been their on their own outside of a tour?

Just my thoughts... last summer we took our then 3 and 5 year old on a boat to stingray city. This was the highlight of our cruise for them. My husband held the kids and then our guide brought a stingray for them to pet. They loved it so much we are doing it again on our cruise in June. We used a private company and paid a fraction of the price.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm curious about this as well. We are going on RCL Navigator in April and it seems like the island tour that includes "Hell" Turtle Farm & Stingray city is a bit too much for my 5 yr old in one day. Would really like to go to Turtle Farm, has anyone been their on their own outside of a tour?

I have been on my own when I used to live there. It was interesting, but honestly I would never go again. I was on island last week and went to the beach : )

Although it has been a few years since my turtle farm visit, what would you like to know ?

The public bus can take you there directly on the yellow line 1. You can catch the bus 2 blocks from the port and it cost $2CI pp to ride. Tell the driver you are going to the Turtle farm when you get on.

More info on the Turtle farm website: https://www.turtle.ky/faq

Edited by CocoCandy

Just my thoughts... last summer we took our then 3 and 5 year old on a boat to stingray city. This was the highlight of our cruise for them. My husband held the kids and then our guide brought a stingray for them to pet. They loved it so much we are doing it again on our cruise in June. We used a private company and paid a fraction of the price.

Who did you use?

I can help with the turtle farm. We did a DCL excursion on our first cruise when my daughter was 5. It included lunch and transportation. We really enjoyed it.

For our Feb 2016 cruise we chose to go back to the turtle farm but on our own. We bought tickets online and saved 20%. We purchased the package that includes the whole place. You can snorkel with turtles in a salt water pool, see and hold baby turtles, birds and a very nice freshwater pool with water slide.

We shared a taxi from the port for $8 pp to get there and caught the public bus back for $2.50 pp - very easy.

The food is good and there is a nice gift shop. With all the activities you could easily spend all day there IMO.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree, we did the same when ours were 2 and 4, they loved it. We booked with Stingraysailing.com, they were great.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, we were cruising with my mom, so snorkeling was out. We were going to rent a car, but our little guy (2 years) was not ready to get off the ship when the tenders started, so we opted to just walk around town. We found the Cayman Islands National museum not too far from the pier, and there was an interactive fish exhibit there that our son loved. http://www.museum.ky/#_=_

He also liked crawling around the old fort, which not much, but he had a good time running around the cannon, and my husband liked reading about the history. http://www.nationaltrust.org.ky/index.php/info-sheets/fort-george-cayman-islands#_=_

I just wish they had the pirate ship running the day we were in port.

I haven't been to the turtle farm in years, so maybe someone could offer their help there :)

Seagrapes Public Beach is a great family beach. There is a nice playground at that area of the beach, as well as bathrooms, changing rooms and food/ drinks at Calico Jack's, plus vendors like Seymour's Jerk Chicken selling food right on that area of the beach.

That would be Seven Mile Beach Public Beach, not Seagrape.

We did the turtle farm with our 8 and 5 yo. They both had a good time. Did it through the cruise line with lunch so we didn't need to worry about the possibility of missing the port (since it is a tender port) and not getting a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app