When does the Park Road open all the way to Kantishna?

Cruise_More_Often

We're trying to make sure we plan our Denali visit for the correct date next year. Is the entire road open by June 8 every year? Right now we have a cruise tour booked. We would arrive in the Park on June 8, 2017 and do the shuttle to Kantishna on June 9. Are we cutting it too close?

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

OOPS, I didn't see the year.

Uh Oh. We'll be there June 5th next year.

That's the date when the road is open to the END.

Did you want to go all the way to KANTISHNA ?

If you're going to Eielson Visitor Center, you're good. That opens June 1 every year. All the starting dates are listed on the reservation site.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

If you're going to Eielson Visitor Center, you're good. That opens June 1 every year. All the starting dates are listed on the reservation site.

Thank you. I learn something new every day! After further review, it looks like we'll only be going to the Eielson Visitor Center.

• 3 weeks later...

mapleleaves, thank you for all the helpful posts!

Is there ever a time when the road opens a couple of days early or does the NPS just stay with the same date of June 1 - no matter the weather from year to year?

Is there ever a time when the road opens a couple of days early or does the NPS just stay with the same date of June 1 - no matter the weather from year to year?

I've seen bus trips cancelled at the end of the season due to weather, but never heard of an early opening. Can't imagine that happening, just due to the logistics involved ... having employees start early (drivers, dispatchers, ticket staff at the WAC and Riley), trying to fill buses when the reservation system didn't have openings, updating the computer.

Never "early". First- it won't happen with the buses, and employment fixed schedules.

Over the past 15+ years- ALWAYS- Eielson starts June 1 and Wonder Lake June 8.

We're trying to make sure we plan our Denali visit for the correct date next year. Is the entire road open by June 8 every year? Right now we have a cruise tour booked. We would arrive in the Park on June 8, 2017 and do the shuttle to Kantishna on June 9. Are we cutting it too close?

It is all private property in Kantishna and the shuttle is really used by overnight visitors. A lot more area is available, just going to Wonder Lake.

I've seen bus trips cancelled at the end of the season due to weather, but never heard of an early opening. Can't imagine that happening, just due to the logistics involved ... having employees start early (drivers, dispatchers, ticket staff at the WAC and Riley), trying to fill buses when the reservation system didn't have openings, updating the computer.

Never "early". First- it won't happen with the buses, and employment fixed schedules.

Over the past 15+ years- ALWAYS- Eielson starts June 1 and Wonder Lake June 8.

Thank you both! I knew I could get the answer here. :D