Hotels in Vancouver - 2016

Lisa77064

I've read so many threads and posts to the point of total confusion. Hopefully I can get some updated information by starting a new thread.

Flying into Vancouver in June, arriving at noon, and leaving the next morning for an RCI Alaskan cruise. Looking for an affordable hotel in Vancouver somewhere between the airport and the cruise port. Free airport and/or cruise transport included would be nice. Would like to spend a little time exploring Vancouver on day of arrival. Limited mobility.

Any recommendations on where to stay and what is nearby based on hotel location? Airport and cruise transfer tips?

Thanks!!!!! So excited for this cruise but just so lost on hotels and locations relative to airport and cruise port.

Flying into Vancouver in June, arriving at noon, and leaving the next morning for an RCI Alaskan cruise. Looking for an affordable hotel in Vancouver somewhere between the airport and the cruise port. Free airport and/or cruise transport included would be nice. Would like to spend a little time exploring Vancouver on day of arrival. Limited mobility.

Any recommendations on where to stay and what is nearby based on hotel location? Airport and cruise transfer tips?

In general... most budget travelers are targeting YWCA, Blue Horizon and Hampton in as forum favs.

I noticed on another post you are cruising on June 17th... prices from booking.com in USD

$80 YWCA

$164 Century Plaza

$165 Day's Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal. Check reviews if it's suitable for you

$188 Holiday Inn Downtown

$206 Blue Horizon » a forum budget fav

$213 Residence Inn Marriott

$299 Metropolitan

$258 Pinnacle Hotel Harbourfront

$260 Caramana Plaza

$282 Georgian Court

$289 Delta Vancouver Suites » big rooms 6 blocks from cruise terminal

$305 Sutton Place

$309 Auberge » 6 blocks from cruise terminal

$313 Hampton Inn » a fav for Hilton Points

$330 Hyatt

$344 Westin Grand

$355 Fairmont Waterfront » across from cruise terminal

$390 Pan Pacific » above cruise terminal

Edited by xlxo

Because you are arriving at noon... a downtown hotel will be more practical than by the airport. You also get better restaurant choices.

Airport choices

$80 Coast Vancouver Airport » great price, airport shuttle. Transit not the most convenient. Neighborhood is somewhat industrial. Traffic noise may be a problem.

$183 Radisson » subway is across the street, downtown in 25 minutes. Lots of Oriental restaurants to explore. It's like a free ticket to Asia!

Edited by xlxo

We've stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle (downtown, 1 block from cruise dock), and it was very nice. We also stayed at the Granville Island Hotel, on Granville Island (on the back side of downtown, on False Creek). We loved everything about Granville Island, especially the market. From there, it's a 5 minute cab ride to the ship. There's lots to do on G.I. Restaurants, shopping, walking along the boardwalk, and the scenery is fantastic. Please don't go to Vancouver and spend a whole day there in some econo-box out by the airport. :rolleyes:

Arriving early afternoon on June 16th and cruising on the 17th. Hopefully something around $150.00 or less. Have some mobility issues - not up for long physical walks. Not really interested in shopping malls. Site seeing would be nice.

I guess we need to figure out - airport location, downtown? or port. The rest should fall into place.

Is CityCentre considered downtownish?

We have stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle numerous times and I can tell you that it is more than one block from the cruise terminal at Canada Place.

Google maps shows the hotel about 500 meters from the dock. Where I come from, a city block is 400 meters, about 1/4 mile. So when I say it's about a block from the hotel to the dock, that's what I mean.

Instead of saying how nice the hotel is, and answering the OP's question, you carp about the distance. This is what's wrong with this forum. I'm out.

Please come back with a pithy comment, I won't be here to read it...

The actual downtown core of Vancouver is relatively small. The cruise port is located in the downtown core at Canada place. After looking on expedia the prices for a hotel downtown that i am familiar with is around $300CAD. You can check out the Sandman Suites on Davie which is $194CAD. It is a 10 minute cab ride to the cruise port and 7 minute cab ride to Pacific Centre mall near Robson where lots of restaurants are located.

WhiteRockCruiser - that is exactly what I needed to read! THANK YOU. I just couldn't get a grasp on the logistics and locations in Vancouver. I don't know why I am having such a brain block about this. Good grief, I am known "The Google Queen". I guess I have lost my title :(

I found about 10 great selections and with your location info, we're ready to select.

Thanks again.

I think that basic geography and plenty of hotel options have been covered already above, and it sounds like you now know enough to go ahead and book. I'd concur with the advice given to stay downtown in order to maximise your sightseeing time - and frankly unless you are willing and able to use transit, the cost of taking a cab downtown and back from an airport hotel wipes out the savings compared to a downtown hotel of similar standard anyway.

Just one additional word of warning: be sure to double-check the address of any hotel you're considering, as there are two other cities called Vancouver (West and North) just across the water from the real thing, and also a few similarly-named hotels in different locations (e.g. since the Marriott Pinnacle was mentioned already, there's another Pinnacle almost nextdoor to the Marriott plus yet another over in North Van).

Google maps shows the hotel about 500 meters from the dock. Where I come from, a city block is 400 meters, about 1/4 mile. So when I say it's about a block from the hotel to the dock, that's what I mean.

Instead of saying how nice the hotel is, and answering the OP's question, you carp about the distance. This is what's wrong with this forum. I'm out.

Please come back with a pithy comment, I won't be here to read it...

I mentioned the distance because the poster has mobility issues and I didn't want he/she to get the wrong impression. I think you are over reacting a bit.

No one meant any offense, I'm sure. A "city block" can vary greatly based on where you live. As a kid growing up in NY we were taught that every twenty blocks equals one mile. That could be very wrong for all I know, but once a teacher puts it in your head that's what your mind remembers for the rest of your life. I am sure we are just trying to give the OP the best info possible. I have occasionally posted something thinking I posted correctly only to realize the next day that my info could be easily misconstrued. We all just want to have the best vacations possible. Good travelling everyone!

Hey Lisa I live in Vancouver and I work in the travel industry. I'm not in sales so I'm not trying to solicit business. The Marriott pinnacle is very close to the cruise port. As a mobile person it's about a five minute walk for me. You mentioned city centre earlier which makes me think you are looking at the holiday in city centre. This is not in the downtown core and not central to anything. I think technically it is the centre of Vancouver which isn't our downtown core :). Someone mentioned the ywca. I have stayed there it is clean and comfortable and a short ($10) cab ride from the port. The century plaza is reasonable. The location is good but would be a very short cab ride for you as this would be a 15 minute walk for me from the cruise port

. I believe the rate for a cab is about $35 and usually they have a locked in fare. There is also a train called the canada line which is about $8 and easy to use but it would depend on which hotel you decide on. I like the Granville island suggestion but I think they are referring to the inn at false creek which has closed unfortunately. Let me know if you have any other questions :)