ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

I am not really concerned about the decor of the dining venue. We will be in a group of 8 enjoying each others company. What I am disappointed in, is losing the different menus that we would be experiencing each evening. We booked all our restaurants and we asked our travel agent to link our reservations with the others so we would all be seated together, she said that RC told her that they don't link reservations for purposes of DD. She told our agent for us just to tell each restaurant when we arrive. Our TA said she insisted they do it, but told her the best they would do was to note on our reservation that we were with 3 other couples.

That did not sit well with me, so I emailed RC Dining and a day later they responded and linked all reservations so we would be at 1 table for 8.

Now this. So I wonder what is going to happen to our reservations at the Grande and Chic? Also now that Solarium Bistro is for suite guests only, where

are they going to put us that night?

I could only expect that when they make the announcement official, their whole cruise planner web site will crash with everyone trying to adjust their reservations. Or we could make changes now like someone else did to avoid the rush. But then what if the information posted was not exactly what they are doing. I truly believe the poster, but what if the Maitre d was wrong?

Same here. We are 8 all RC linked all of our reservations together too and it took me 3 hours to get it done.

5 pages of 100% pro DD comments on this thread since I posted yesterday.. So where has all this DD love been the past year???

Too late everybody!!!

Truth is, people prefer complaining to complimenting. People are more likely to hop on a site named cruise CRITIC and have a moan about something than to come on here and tell us about a fabulous time they had.

Anyone have an idea on how much notice they'd give if/when the change happens? I'm on the April 30 cruise. If we don't hear anything from RCI before boarding and our DD choice reservations continue to show up in the cruise planner, can we reasonable presume it's not happening yet, or should we be prepared to have this sprung on us after we get on the ship?

I would hope they give you notice, but with Royal, be prepared for change with no notification, I'm sure if they change it on April 30th, then 2017 will arrive before they correct the website.

Pardon me in advance for being late to this party.

The Royal website does not show any changes to DD. I am booked for fall and chose DD choice ("The next era of dining at sea") I already have dining reservations for every evening. I will be a bit peeved if they take away the options, reservations, or limit me to an unpopular dining room because a of a few complainers.

I totally agree with this. I spent a lot of time planning and coordinating with our cruise mates to setup a dining schedule that worked for all of us. I will be very disappointed if this was wasted time and effort. First off, we were really looking forward to the different menus, second I have much better things to spend my time on then spinning my wheels only to have our plans "re-done" for us due to some people who are too clueless to make their own plans.

I am hoping that if/when thry change our reservation times will be kept just in the assigned restaurant. They really should work since only a portion of the dining room is DD and the rest is traditional the reservation times should work

I don't think Patti would do that. Also, the rumors of changes started long before April 1.

Yes I agree. I seriously doubt that Patti would do that, and you are correct that this change has been in the wind for quite a while. I called Royal Caribbean to speak with them about this possible change, I called multiple times talking to agents in different call centers, as far away as Central America. I also spoke with C&A, and all said they were aware of the rumors, and (drum roll please) "Categorically Deny" that there is even any consideration of making a change. So with that being said, and we all know how their information is not always correct, I guess we can expect.....?

Edited by dedosr

5 pages of 100% pro DD comments on this thread since I posted yesterday.. So where has all this DD love been the past year???

Too late everybody!!!

This ⬆️

Exactly, It's crazy when DD first came out everyone was complaining. Now that they say they are changing it, everyone is coming out of the woodwork saying how much they want it. Where was everyone in support of DD when people were complaining?

And this ⬆️

Anyone have an idea on how much notice they'd give if/when the change happens? I'm on the April 30 cruise. If we don't hear anything from RCI before boarding and our DD choice reservations continue to show up in the cruise planner, can we reasonable presume it's not happening yet, or should we be prepared to have this sprung on us after we get on the ship?

From a public relations standpoint, if they do announce a change in DD, the start date would have to be a certain date in the future, to allow everyone time to adjust to the change, and have time to change their dining reservations if necessary. I seriously doubt that they would announce the change say on May 1, 2016 and say that it is effective immediately.

They should really announce the change and make it outside of the penalty period. We are sailing in May and I don't think we would have booked it without DD. We had wonderful service and food on our January Anthem trip and were looking forward to having the same choices in May. We just returned from the Grandeur and I found the 10 night dining room menus boring. The service was outstanding, but we spent four nights in the specialty restaurants and ordered the Chops steaks in the dining room on many others. We are not foodies and I don't think we are particularly picky. The regular dining room menus have been around a while now and I think it's time for a change.

They should really announce the change and make it outside of the penalty period. We are sailing in May and I don't think we would have booked it without DD. We had wonderful service and food on our January Anthem trip and were looking forward to having the same choices in May. We just returned from the Grandeur and I found the 10 night dining room menus boring. The service was outstanding, but we spent four nights in the specialty restaurants and ordered the Chops steaks in the dining room on many others. We are not foodies and I don't think we are particularly picky. The regular dining room menus have been around a while now and I think it's time for a change.

So if they call it MTD and traditional but keep the DD menus everyone would be happy?

So if they call it MTD and traditional but keep the DD menus everyone would be happy?

Probably not as it does not sound like folks will be able to choose which menu they get. Unless you are proposing a super menu that includes all items from all the former DD restaurants.

Probably not as it does not sound like folks will be able to choose which menu they get. Unless you are proposing a super menu that includes all items from all the former DD restaurants.

They'll rotate like they do now, but to make it more manageable there would be fewer DD choices and sprinkle in traditional menu choices along the way. RCI probably has the numbers of the menu items that are popular from the DD menu. Deck 3 traditional could be the existing menus from the rest of the fleet.

They'll rotate like they do now, but to make it more manageable there would be fewer DD choices and sprinkle in traditional menu choices along the way. RCI probably has the numbers of the menu items that are popular from the DD menu. Deck 3 traditional could be the existing menus from the rest of the fleet.

I like tradtional dining, but would love to see some items from the DD menus added to the old, boring menus they have on the rest of the fleet.

When we sailed on Quantum I raved about DD we were 5 for dinner every night and not one problem. We enjoyed going to 4 different dining rooms with different designs. Now we are booked for Oct. on the Anthem with all my dining chosen and looks like we'll only be going to 1 dining room for MTD. Bummer!!!

When we sailed on Quantum I raved about DD we were 5 for dinner every night and not one problem. We enjoyed going to 4 different dining rooms with different designs. Now we are booked for Oct. on the Anthem with all my dining chosen and looks like we'll only be going to 1 dining room for MTD. Bummer!!!

I would have expected them to make some sort of announcement by now.

I cannot see that at all as a possibility. If they scrap DD then I'm sure MTD and traditional set dining will have exactly the same menus. No way would deck 3 have the rest of the fleet menus and deck 4 have a mix of DD menus,

It's not the menu's I will be missing...the same menu can be served in any venue.

What I liked about DD was going to a different venue every night. To me it was like going out to a new restaurant every night. Different decor, ambience and servers.

We booked our May Anthem sailing specifically because we enjoyed eating in different venues when we were on the QOS last year....so I am hopping it's all rumor.

I very much feel, if this does follow through, passengers definitely deserve some sort of OBC or complimentary drink package. Or possibly some up-charge restaurant credits.

Everything MTD for this style of ship is the way to go. Still offering unique menus. You like a set time? Then just book that same time every night. Food and Dining is a highlight for a big majority of cruisers. Many passengers will book a cruise simply on food alone, especially in the case of a ship like Anthem. This specific method and style of dining/variety of tastes in unique dining rooms has been a major target selling point to getting potential guests to book. Half the time the moment people get on the ship the first thing they want to do is go directly to the food.

Completely dismembering the dining experience just to turn what is supposed to be unique, into just another boring(though not to stay not tasty) mass menu, is not the proper way to go about this. Especially when you have guests who may have spent hours organizing their reservations. Not to mention, those looking forward to four different complimentary settings as opposed to the same restaurant every night. You can already get that on most other(cheaper) ships.

I am currently set for the June 2nd Anthem sailing. Be our first on the Quantum Class. No dining reservations as I prefer to just walk-up when I want and not worry about a set time. If I have a small to medium wait, no big deal. You will never go hungry on a cruise. However, I LOVED the idea of having the option to mix it up and chose 1 of 4 restaurants. Especially on longer cruises. Not only would they be limiting food options, but dining rooms as well.

Best way to go about this, IF it even does, to me would be either get rid of classic or have all 4 restaurants share a menu with each having 1-3 or so top dishes per category, unique to each venue.

Yes I agree. I seriously doubt that Patti would do that, and you are correct that this change has been in the wind for quite a while. I called Royal Caribbean to speak with them about this possible change, I called multiple times talking to agents in different call centers, as far away as Central America. I also spoke with C&A, and all said they were aware of the rumors, and (drum roll please) "Categorically Deny" that there is even any consideration of making a change. So with that being said, and we all know how their information is not always correct, I guess we can expect.....?

In my experience RCI and C&A have always Denied Rumors until they are confirmed in writing. The same thing has happened at work.

I think that might be a great idea (I haven't been on the ship yet, but will hopefully be experiencing the DD menus on April 18th cruise). They could rotate the 8 menus (2 from each dining room) in all 4 dining venues. If Royal did that then it might prove that the change isn't related to cost, but really is due to complaints. I still think it's a cost reason, but it sounds nice to make people think that Royal listens to complaints.:D