ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

6 weeks from now? That sure sounds like my May 14th sailing or the following sailing. I really hope it's the following. Wouldn't want to be on the first sailing for the change...I can only imagine the chaos and confusion.

And the people complaining because they are expecting DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more than 7 months out from my Nov 10th Anthem cruise, doing DD Choice. Decided to check my cruise planner to maybe move around some reservations. It's now showing no open reservations for any of the complimentary restaurants before 7:30 PM! I just find it hard to believe that everything is booked solid this far out?

I called RC and they said it looks like everything is indeed booked and if I wanted to change anything I would have to select the later times.

At this point I'm leaning towards cancelling the cruise. Even if they do change around the dining, there has been no official info from RC, and how crazy can it be that early DD Choice times are booked solid more than 7 months out! Based on show schedules I'm not eating late every night, and I didn't pay this kind of $$ to eat at the Windjammer every day. RC did mention there are plenty of early openings in the specialty restaurants :mad:

I'm more than 7 months out from my Nov 10th Anthem cruise, doing DD Choice. Decided to check my cruise planner to maybe move around some reservations. It's now showing no open reservations for any of the complimentary restaurants before 7:30 PM! I just find it hard to believe that everything is booked solid this far out?

I called RC and they said it looks like everything is indeed booked and if I wanted to change anything I would have to select the later times.

At this point I'm leaning towards cancelling the cruise. Even if they do change around the dining, there has been no official info from RC, and how crazy can it be that early DD Choice times are booked solid more than 7 months out! Based on show schedules I'm not eating late every night, and I didn't pay this kind of $$ to eat at the Windjammer every day. RC did mention there are plenty of early openings in the specialty restaurants :mad:

I've been on the ship twice, with number 3 in less than 2 weeks. If DD is still available when you sail, it's easy to change your restaurants or times once onboard. We had not problem, and had no waits to get in any restaurant around 7 each night.

I've been on the ship twice, with number 3 in less than 2 weeks. If DD is still available when you sail, it's easy to change your restaurants or times once onboard. We had not problem, and had no waits to get in any restaurant around 7 each night.

I guess what I keep bouncing around in my head ... is it normal for DD Choice to be booked solid this far out (7 months)? If so, what am I getting myself into with a packed cruise ship of passengers who filled all the reservations so far in advance? I'd like to eat around 5:30 for a few nights (and why I tried moving some reservations) ... hoping that is not an issue like you said I can just show up.

I can accept that there may be an issue with the reservation system, but RC told me today that it just looks like everything is indeed booked for now.

Guess I've got some thinking to do ...

I guess what I keep bouncing around in my head ... is it normal for DD Choice to be booked solid this far out (7 months)? If so, what am I getting myself into with a packed cruise ship of passengers who filled all the reservations so far in advance? I'd like to eat around 5:30 for a few nights (and why I tried moving some reservations) ... hoping that is not an issue like you said I can just show up.

I can accept that there may be an issue with the reservation system, but RC told me today that it just looks like everything is indeed booked for now.

Guess I've got some thinking to do ...

They always leave reservations open for people to book when onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again folks for the replies. I'm OK with just showing up at the restaurant, but I definitely need to discuss with the family. They're really not too happy seeing the 'nothing available' message on the cruise planner. Also, when we called RC today, their official line is still that DD Choice is 'sold out', and the only thing available 7 months out is late seating (8 PM) classic seating. I checked again with a fake booking and indeed the website is still showing what the RC rep mentioned ... no DD Choice and only 8 PM classic

I think it was mentioned previously or in another thread ... how do you sell out of DD Choice? It shouldn't be this confusing, and RC should be giving a straight answer if the website and online bookings are in a transition period. If RC doesn't at least come clean and say what's going on, it's getting to be a tough sell for my group that want some sort of confirmation ... of which things could change at any time in the coming weeks anyway

Thanks again folks for the replies. I'm OK with just showing up at the restaurant, but I definitely need to discuss with the family. They're really not too happy seeing the 'nothing available' message on the cruise planner. Also, when we called RC today, their official line is still that DD Choice is 'sold out', and the only thing available 7 months out is late seating (8 PM) classic seating. I checked again with a fake booking and indeed the website is still showing what the RC rep mentioned ... no DD Choice and only 8 PM classic

I think it was mentioned previously or in another thread ... how do you sell out of DD Choice? It shouldn't be this confusing, and RC should be giving a straight answer if the website and online bookings are in a transition period. If RC doesn't at least come clean and say what's going on, it's getting to be a tough sell for my group that want some sort of confirmation ... of which things could change at any time in the coming weeks anyway

There was nothing available earlier than 7:30 in the 4 main dining rooms for our October 6 Anthem cruise. However earlier times were available for Coastal Kitchen, and specialty restaurants. I agree with you…it is odd.

Edited by beachnative

There was nothing available earlier than 7:30 in the 4 main dining rooms for our October 6 Anthem cruise. However earlier times were available for Coastal Kitchen, and specialty restaurants. I agree with you…it is odd.

It's not that odd. Coastal Kitchen is for Suites / Pinnacles only. Speciality restaurants are chargable.

The majority of cruisers will be sticking to the complementary restauarants which is why the early times are sold out.

The majority of cruisers will be sticking to the complementary restauarants which is why the early times are sold out.

I don't think that's what they are referring to as "odd"-- DD choice is "sold out". Apparently because they are getting rid of it.

NOT SO FAST-- it's the ONLY option available for next February's cruise on the anthem. Perhaps they're using it as MTD?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't think that's what they are referring to as "odd"-- DD choice is "sold out". Apparently because they are getting rid of it.

NOT SO FAST-- it's the ONLY option available for next February's cruise on the anthem. Perhaps they're using it as MTD?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ah right, apologies I must have mis-understood the wording.

Yes I suppose it is a bit weird that DD Choice can be 'sold out'. Maybe they have a lot of classic tables still open and want to get them filled?

Not sure

It's not sold out - just no early seatings available - which is not unusual. Everyone is reading way too much into current availability as a way to point to some supposed change coming. You have to remember that it's RCI's IT system we're talking about here - most of the issues could be blamed on that.

Even after it was officially announced that DD was cancelled on Oasis class, it took some time for the IT system to catch up and switch people to traditional. Don't look to their IT system to lead the issue.

I am sooo very confused. Really, I am. There are so many people saying different things. Can someone just answer one question for me? If it was just hubby and myself, I would not care...but my whole family is going on the Anthem in October and we are all linked for DD. I just checked all of our bookings and that still stands....BUT......it is showing on a NEW booking, that the only thing available is 6pm seating. Can someone just give be the bottom line? Should I change everything to the 6pm seating before this sells out? (BTW...none of us want to eat this early.

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

I am sooo very confused. Really, I am. There are so many people saying different things. Can someone just answer one question for me? If it was just hubby and myself, I would not care...but my whole family is going on the Anthem in October and we are all linked for DD. I just checked all of our bookings and that still stands....BUT......it is showing on a NEW booking, that the only thing available is 6pm seating. Can someone just give be the bottom line? Should I change everything to the 6pm seating before this sells out? (BTW...none of us want to eat this early.

Not if you don't want to eat at 6. As I tell everyone else who seems to stress over the little stuff - take a break from CC and don't look at this thread for at least a few days.:cool:

It's not that odd. Coastal Kitchen is for Suites / Pinnacles only. Speciality restaurants are chargable.

The other thing I find very odd is as that the complimentary restaurants are sold out over 7 months in advance. I can understand if this is a last minute booking, but we're talking a November cruise. I'd hate to hear from people that we waited to long to make reservations where we're still this far out. Did that many passenger already jump on-line to book all the early dining spots? ... again seems odd

Thankfully Coastal Kitchen is still listed as an early option for me, so for now I think I may just reserve a few more times there. Even if it gets repetitive, I've heard good things

It's not sold out - just no early seatings available - which is not unusual. Everyone is reading way too much into current availability as a way to point to some supposed change coming. You have to remember that it's RCI's IT system we're talking about here - most of the issues could be blamed on that.

Even after it was officially announced that DD was cancelled on Oasis class, it took some time for the IT system to catch up and switch people to traditional. Don't look to their IT system to lead the issue.

No, it's sold out. If you go to make a booking you cannot chose DD Choice, you have to have the late seating.

It's difficult to make an informed decision with the lack of info from the cruise line. I agree with Biker, wait a month or so, after this change is supposed to have taken place, and then revisit the decision.

It's not sold out - just no early seatings available - which is not unusual.

Just a week ago there was plenty of places within 6 o clock and then suddenly nothing before half 7, that certainly is unusual

DD choice is not the same as early seating. I think you are confusing the two.

No confusion here - the poster said there were no slots before 7:30PM available to which I replied that a lot of folks in Choice book early seatings (up to about 7PM) (like Classic) so the fact that there are no slots before 7:30PM in not necessarily unusual. My main point was that there are seatings available, just that they are 7:30 or later. Choice is not sold out. Now, if you couldn't get one at say 9PM, that far out, yes that would be a bit odd, but most of the time I would chalk that up to IT gremlins which will eventually be fixed.

Just a week ago there was plenty of places within 6 o clock and then suddenly nothing before half 7, that certainly is unusual

Not with RCI's IT system. Again, availability of any DD slots is not indicative of any changes coming - it is simply a confirmation of how poorly implemented RCI's DD reservation system looks to the general public.:cool:

Choice is not sold out.

I was told by RC on the phone yesterday that Choice was sold out for my November 10th cruise. The Rep confirmed that if I tried booking a new cabin on that cruise, my only dining choice would be DD Classic at 8 PM. DD Choice was sold out and would not be an available option for anyone currently booking. Sounds strange to me, but that was the official line the RC rep was giving me, and matching what I saw when making a 'fake' booking online.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but the RC phone reps are even telling me the DD Choice is 'sold out'

Edited by Brocktoon623

Thank you Biker and Bob. Just don't want to get stuck eating in the Windjammer for dinner. :(

Especially when one has a reservation, some have reported being offered dinner at an upcharge venue (like Chops) when the line at the reserved venue is too long. I can see that happening (alternatives offered) if this change does go through and folks show up at the DD Choice venues in much greater numbers than RCI anticipated.

Edited by Biker19

I was told by RC on the phone yesterday that Choice was sold out for my November 10th cruise. The Rep confirmed that if I tried booking a new cabin on that cruise, my only dining choice would be DD Classic at 8 PM. DD Choice was sold out and would not be an available option for anyone currently booking. Sounds strange to me, but that was the official line the RC rep was giving me, and matching what I saw when making a 'fake' booking online.

I'm not trying to start a debate, but the RC phone reps are even telling me the DD Choice is 'sold out'

Now see, this statement makes me think the change is a bunch of bologna. Is it possible that this is all just a rumor or is this change really going to happen?

My reply was to the poster (and subsequent ones that quoted that post) that said there were no seatings before 7:30PM, not yours. And again, DD Choice not being available at all is more likely an IT glitch and not an indication that there's a change coming. Some sailings show all sold out when RCI is doing some inventory shuffling - a day or two later, everything is back to "normal".