ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

The change will be happening based on the email responses I received from RC.

So may I suggest everyone relax a little and see how they plan on rolling out the changes. Maybe the delay in announcing the change is to have a system in place to adjust everyone's reservations. I know we all booked with a certain Dining Plan in mind, however sometime things change. The cruise is not all about food, and a changed menu should not ruin anyone's vacation.

For those that just want a "Food Cruise" check out the article on the new RC cruise advertised in "The Onion"!!

I saw that article! Very funny!!

For those that are on the ship and have been told about this was there any information on what the menus are changing to? Are they going to be the same as other RCCL ships or will it be something like, night one current Silk menu in the all four restaurants, night two chic menu in all four restaurants, etc. We were looking forward to the different menus.

Fingered crossed they keep the same menus and just rotate them each night. Their basic menu on the other non Quantum ships is very boring!

This person was doing the standard galley tour, with a large group of people. The executive chef was clearly trying to get the word out.

Thanks Carol. I suspect, as I read in a post earlier today, that they are working on how to make the transition with existing reservations, and will make an announcement once they have more details.

I don't see the Bistro being added to the mix - they'll need that to relive the crowding of the 4 main venues.

From what I was told, SB will only be available to those in Suites and PC Members. I believe this may very well include any JS cabin for dinner.

A FB friend also currently onboard yesterday confirmed the identical details from the executive chef on board.

The same info was given at the Galley tour yesterday.

Edited by cruisenfever

From what I was told, SB will only be available to those in Suites and PC Members. I believe this may very well include any JS cabin for dinner.

The same info was given at the Galley tour yesterday.

Thank you for the information you have been providing, was there any mention on whether the menu items are changing or if they are simply offering the same menus but changing the way they are doing the Classic / Dynamic seating. My concern is that if suites are only at Coastal Kitchen how varied the menu will be on a 9 night cruise. We were looking forward the different menus at the the different restaurants with the rest of our meals at CK

Edited by jonj

I agree with that too. It's almost like they want us, the consumer, to spread the word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They want to soften the shock when the announcement is made. It's like when I was a teenager, I would casually mention to my Mom, that some of the kids were going somewhere days or weeks before we were actually going. When the time came to go I would say, but Mom I told you about it weeks ago.

Edited by gaylemh

Thank you for the information you have been providing, was there any mention on whether the menu items are changing or if they are simply offering the same menus but changing the way they are doing the Classic / Dynamic seating. My concern is that if suites are only at Coastal Kitchen how varied the menu will be on a 9 night cruise. We were looking forward the different menus at the the different restaurants with the rest of our meals at CK

Currently, CK changes the dinner menu nightly. Lunch menu changes every fifth day and breakfast is the same menu every morning.

As for the other restaurants, currently they change the menu every fifth day. What will happen when they change to Traditional & MTD has not been clarified. I would assume it would be like on all the other ships in the fleet, which is a different menu every night available in all venues.

But we must remember it's only a small percentage of the cruising population that are on Cruise Critic or that other social media site.

Most will probably not hear about it until they are notified by RCCL.

I'm wondering is there any chance this could be a trial balloon and they are checking the reaction to the change....Kind of using CC and the social media site as a focus group?

I'm wondering is there any chance this could be a trial balloon and they are checking the reaction to the change....Kind of using CC and the social media site as a focus group?

Not given the input of the executive chef on board.

I don't know the answer to that however the trustworthy person currently on board posted that as one of the things that she had been told.

I changed all of our dinner reservations to Coastal Kitchen and Solarium Bistro because on the Quantum and Anthem we like the menu in those two restaurants very much. If they system changes and reports are good about the 4 Main Dining Room we will not have regrets.

On our last 4 cruises on the Oasis we never went to the Main Dining room and ate all our meals in either Coastal Kitchen or specialty restaurants because we like the service and food.

Thanks Gail. I see Patti came on and did clarify that SB will be for suites and P's.

We ate in CK and Devin's restaurant on Quantum and both were delicious.

Thanks Carol. I suspect, as I read in a post earlier today, that they are working on how to make the transition with existing reservations, and will make an announcement once they have more details.

... and this is the missing piece that has everyone anxious (me certainly). I am going to patiently (as patiently as I can...) wait to hear how existing reservations for Dynamic Dining will be handled. Either way I know we will have a wonderful cruise. I just spent a good deal of time coordinating my group's desire's and schedules. Once whatever announcements are made we will just have to digest the changes and move forward from there.

I don't mind eating dinner at the same time. I still travel with a child, albeit he turns 13 in a month. Still, we try to eat dinner at the same time every night, absent my wife getting stuck at work or soccer practice or a track meet running long.

It seems to me with Dynamic Dining, there is too much temptation to start scheduling too many things in the late afternoon. Then comes the question, such as "Are we eating at 5:30 or 7:00 tonight?" If you know that dinner is 6pm every night, then you plan around it.

Last week on the Majesty, we skipped a trivia event, because it was right up against the first seating for dinner.

If you make dinner reservations in advance, then it becomes too tempting to reschedule them because of trivia, a one-hour sale, an unexpected show in the theater, and so on.

It seems to me with Dynamic Dining, there is too much temptation to start scheduling too many things in the late afternoon. Then comes the question, such as "Are we eating at 5:30 or 7:00 tonight?" If you know that dinner is 6pm every night, then you plan around it.

I don't see what you are talking about is any different than My Time Dining, which is not new. You can make reservations in advance at different times for that, too. I always preferred the set dining times but I refuse to eat dinner at 5:30. With DD/MTD I can eat at 6:30, which is more to my liking. I do miss having the same server each night.

I really don't care if we don't have the same waiter every night. They hyped up Quantum Class and advertised it as a new type of dining. Great restaurants to choose from and now they're turning something that was new and exciting into something even less than ordinary by sticking us in 1 of 4 smaller restaurants. If I have to be stuck in 1 restaurant for 12 nights, I'd rather it be in a large beautiful formal MDR like on their other class ships.

Heads up folks ... at least for my Nov 10th cruise earlier dining times (between 5 and 7 PM) just started opening up for DD Choice at the 4 main venues. I was finally able to move some reservations around to more preferred times. For those only seeing late dining times available, you may want to re-check now.

Of course this could all get blown away in a month or so, but at least I was able to get some decent reserved times for now

I really don't care if we don't have the same waiter every night. They hyped up Quantum Class and advertised it as a new type of dining. Great restaurants to choose from and now they're turning something that was new and exciting into something even less than ordinary by sticking us in 1 of 4 smaller restaurants. If I have to be stuck in 1 restaurant for 12 nights, I'd rather it be in a large beautiful formal MDR like on their other class ships.

My thoughts exactly. I really hope this change doesn't go into effect until after my May 14 sailing, but it's not looking good. Seems possible we'll be the first sailing with the changes.

They are still advertising Ovation as having all the restaurant variety in their latest email link where they invite us to 'explore more about Ovation' 'after announcing the extra sailings being added to the Australian season & confirming she will come to Australia in the 2017/18 season.

I'm not overly concerned about DD being MTD because as long as they retain the varied menus & the different restaurant décor it's much the same thing.

If they do make the 4 main included restaurants all the same menu then that will be annoying & basically false advertising!

Maybe Anthem is the only ship in Quantum class changing since she is the US based ship? Ovation being Australia & Asia based may do things differently based on what our reaction is?

All those people that couldn't stand any change from their set ways on just a few ships in the fleet may have ruined the whole new experience for everyone else - & before we even had a chance to try it. :(

At least we still have the paid restaurants to try some variety in if they do dumb down the menus in the free ones.

All those people that couldn't stand any change from their set ways on just a few ships in the fleet may have ruined the whole new experience for everyone else - & before we even had a chance to try it. :(

I was on anthem and I loved DD. My only issue with food had to do with inadequate temperature. Don't blame us all-- I'm disappointed, too!![emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are boarding the ship on May 5th and the one of the reasons we choice to go on the Anthem was so our Daughter and son in law could experience DD.

We were on the Quantum from Barcelona to Dubai and Loved DD.

We also had the best food on any cruise we have ever been on.

We have been on over 75 cruises with lots of different lines.

When I posted here on CC that we loved DD I was flamed as people who had never been on the Quantum but hated the idea of DD

What a shame if DD is taken out of the mix of dining.

We are boarding the ship on May 5th and the one of the reasons we choice to go on the Anthem was so our Daughter and son in law could experience DD.

When I posted here on CC that we loved DD I was flamed as people who had never been on the Quantum but hated the idea of DD

I agree and what a shame. As I have stated before...we have only had it once on NCL'S Breakaway and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. Loved the different venues and loved that we were not rushing back to the ship in time to shower and dress for dinner at a specific time. :) We were soooo looking forward to having the same wonderful experience on the Anthem.:(

Seems pretty common, a few spoil it for the rest

FEW bring Rum Runners aboard

REST pay more for their drinks

FEW turn up late to the ship

REST have to sit and wait

FEW don't have dining the way they've been used to for 30 years yet still booked the ship with different dining anyway or just didn't book the ship and continued to moan about it anyway

REST have to put up with a dated dining format that loses the pizzazz that was advertised to them.

You have to remember QUANTUM and DD dining only had a 46% approval rating.Most people did not like DD dining. :)

I could not agree with you more.

I, was one that really enjoyed DD on the Quantum. However, I had all of my reservations in hand and did not have to be turned away. My takeaway in talking with some pax was their ignorance in making reserves ahead of time--they just expected to show and be seated. The other sour note was the spotty service from one restaurant to another.