Houston - questions from a novice

karoo

I have just booked a cruise that leaves from Houston the Bayport terminal. I will probably book my flight to Hobby as airfare is the same to both, and my research so far as said this is the closer one??? It is also the same price whether I fly in Wednesday or Thursday for a Saturday embarkation. Here are my questions.

I could stay near the airport, but I've read there's nothing around to walk to.

I could stay at Sea Brooke-once again nothing around except for NASA and Kemah Board walk which aren't walkable.

I could stay in Houston, I'm assuming there will be things to walk to and do.

The advantages of staying at the airport-super shuttles wherever I want to go.

Seabrooke-once again shuttles from airport, to port and hopefully attractions not too far away.

If I stay in Houston is downtown the best area?

Is there public transport other than cabs to NASA, the Kemah board walk and the port?

Where am I best to stay? I won't be driving as solo, come from OS where we drive on the left, so it will be public transport or walking.

Am interested in people's thoughts, ideas, suggestions as I'm starting with a blank slate. Hopefully someone out there, who is familiar with the area and port will have suggestions.

Normally I stay in the touristy areas pre cruise.

Houston is not a walking city. It is HUGE and everything is spread out. However, if you stay downtown, you could use the light rail to go to the museum area. Uber would probably be cheaper than using cabs. Don't even think of staying around Hobby if you are there for a few days. Too bad you're not sailing out of Galveston as there's a lot more to do there in a contained area. Must be "late" planning as the last ships leave Bayport in about a month and then it's a ghost town again!

Houston is not a walking city. It is HUGE and everything is spread out. However, if you stay downtown, you could use the light rail to go to the museum area. Uber would probably be cheaper than using cabs. Don't even think of staying around Hobby if you are there for a few days. Too bad you're not sailing out of Galveston as there's a lot more to do there in a contained area. Must be "late" planning as the last ships leave Bayport in about a month and then it's a ghost town again!

Thanks for your reply. Yes late planning-I'm on the Transatlantic leaving next month. It won't be Hobby as in the end, Bush was more direct. One connection only in LAX, so I arrive the 13th April mid afternoon and embark on the 16th. At this stage I plan on visiting NASA, Kemah and probably doing a city tour or HOHO bus, whatever is available. I'm happy to do Kemah the day of the cruise as I'm definitely not one who likes to board early. Would rather get there around 2-2.30 or 3pm. I haven't checked the embarkation time yet and hopefully not get caught up with all the crowds of people who arrive super early. Just trying to work out the logistics of getting around and where exactly to stay. A light rail sounds a good idea.

Downtown Houston is a GREAT walking city nowadays. A lot to see and do. We go downtown almost every weekend. You can also rent bikes downtown and they have drop off areas all around the city now and bike paths. A lot of great restaurants, bars, parks, etc. They are in the middle of a transformation right now due to the Super Bowl coming back to Houston. A lot of great hotels downtown as well.

Hobby is closer to Bayport Terminal. Kemah is not far from the terminal and a few nice hotels around Kemah. Kemah is a lot of fun to walk around and some great little shops, places to eat, and things to do.