Thanksgiving week cruises ?

imae39

On Holland America ships are there lots of children with parents/grandparents cruising the week of Thanksgiving? Has anyone experienced a HAL ship being loaded with kids during Thanksgiving week?

We sailed HAL a number of times over Thanksgiving and never felt overwhelmed with children. Sure there were family groups of three and four generation with children of all ages included. We hardly saw kids during the day which likely means they were happily amused at Club HAL. I think HAL brings on more staff for Club HAL for holiday cruises.

We very much enjoyed all of those Thanksgiving cruises and I would not hesitate to go again.

We have sailed on HAL for the last two Thanksgivings. We were told there were many (how many?) kids on board but we rarely saw many -- Club HAL keeps them so busy! I reluctantly admit that I am not crazy about sailing with lots of kids -- sorry! -- but I have been pleasantly surprised to not feel surrounded by kids on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam in the past two years.

It had a different feeling last Thanksgiving. Yes, there were teens but they were kept busy by HAL. Some small children were present but well behaved. No running around, temper tantrums and crying. The Crow's Nest was always very busy--teens played trivia with adults, children were playing games and there were about 5 jigsaw puzzles going on at the same time. I really didn't get the feeling that it was crowded with kids. Disney bothered me as there were always character signing going on with long lines in the halls. One couldn't get into the shops due to crowd but on the other hand, it was for the best!

On Holland America ships are there lots of children with parents/grandparents cruising the week of Thanksgiving? Has anyone experienced a HAL ship being loaded with kids during Thanksgiving week?

Our experience was notably different than what the other posters have experienced. We will not cruise over Thanksgiving week again :eek: Our cruise was loaded with kids and extended families.

Unfortunately for us, we were in an OV on a lower deck, surrounded by triple and quad cabins, which were filled to capacity. The hallways became playgrounds and race tracks, kids were playing, parents were yelling .... and nearly every cabin had their doors open to the hall most of the time, so there was plenty of shouting back and forth between cabins, too.

Just people being people, but it was close-quarters and got annoying after a while.

I have sailed over Thanksgiving the last couple of years and did not notice a large increase of kids aboard. I was however on a 10 day and an 11 day cruise at the time, so those longer cruises may have fewer than a 7 day cruise might.