Can a crew member on NCL Epic hang out with us and/or have dinner when off-duty?

CruisingSwedes

I've tried to find any information about this with no luck and would be thankful if anyone can help.

We'll be on Epic next week and we'd like to be able to have dinner or socialize with a crew member that we haven't met. Sounds strange I'm sure but let me explain.

For many years we were fortunate enough to have a wonderful woman from the Philippines helping us out around the house until she moved home and got engaged. Her fiance, whom we have never met, works in the engineering department and we've made plans to have dinner together via her (he hasn't been in the conversations). He's not an officer and I think he is more a repairman of some sort and he wears the blue suit uniform. I mention this because I believe the different levels of employment affect if crew members can socialize with guests, but I hope I am wrong and that everyone is able to go wherever on the ship they want.

We've extended an invitation to Cagney's and/or for a drink. We've also asked if he can join us on one of the port days, but she said he is working every day until 8PM during the entire cruise.

Our 9 year old is going to be the flower girl in their wedding so we're very much looking forward to meeting him! We're also bringing some special things from Sweden to send home with him to our friend.

What are the rules? I thought I heard before it is only officers, entertainers, guest activities staff, and spa employees that are allowed to go everywhere on the ship. I hope that is not the case. We don't want to put him in an awkward position.

Thanks in advance!

I would ask an officer or senior staff - like the cruise director - as soon as you board. As someone else said it's technically against the rules, but there's always someone who can bend them. In this case, as it's a passenger request it would be good PR for them to allow it.

If you're in a suite, send the request in to the pre-cruise concierge.

We were on the Spirit (15 day Med. cruise) in July. The first night (at Cagney's) we had a really, really attentive and professional server (Jesper). I had heard/read that it was possible to invite a staff person to dinner - so we asked. He had to clear it with his boss (the maitre d') and it took a couple of days to schedule, but we were able to invite him to dinner (we let him pick the restaurant - Le Bistro). It was the highlight of his (and our) cruise - 8 years as an NCL server and no guest had ever invited him to dinner. His wife (the hostess in Cagney's) was super excited for him as well (she bought him a new dress shirt in port the day after we asked). He was also able to have a drink with us as he had the night off. We'll see him (and his wife) again on our Escape cruise in July (his new contract is with the Escape) and I am sure that he'll remember us!

So, yes, it can be done. Ask early and be sure to find out who needs to approve of the request so you can appeal to them directly.

~Bob

It may be tough. From what I understand, unless you're an officer/entertainer, you don't have passenger deck privileges.

On our behind the scenes tour on the Escape, we were told that the crew has the option to dine at specialty restaurants on their off nights. They paid the regular prices, and availability was limited to whatever slots were left after all guest bookings. While I can't state definitively, it certainly seemed that this privilege extended beyond officers & entertainers.

Edited by TheDougOut

So, yes, it can be done. Ask early and be sure to find out who needs to approve of the request so you can appeal to them directly.~Bob

Maybe maybe not.. you site hotel staff not ships crew.

Just to add caution as there are very different rules for non-hotel staff on the ship and interaction with passengers. It is also a different reporting structure, the CD would have to make a request to the ship side and the Staff Captain for someone who "works in the engineering department". Chief Engineer would be top of his department before the Staff Captain.

Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director all lead their own departments and are equals under the Ships Master (Captain).

You should ask him to get the email for his supervisor and put your request to him. Also the chief engineer and staff captain would be good people to contact. You would be amazed how much time engineering staff spends on Facebook and the internet.

Also, if you ask them now, they may allow him a day off while in port. Coming from a passenger, they are much more likely to accommodate your request, particularly if he is a valuable employee (which I assume he is).

It is definitely possible, however as noted, there is a very specific process and in this case because he is not in a deck position, it may be more difficult. (deck positions are non-officer/senior staff customer facing positions such as servers and retail). There are also restrictions on alcohol consumption on board in public areas.

PRIOR to embarkation, I would contact them if possible (seems like you have), which will also allow them to possibly adjust their work schedule (most staffs allow a little shift trading).

The employee will also usually need to have an above average rating to get a privilege like this.

And finally, remember they work LONG days, don't be upset if he begs off to get some rest - also, a thought, Filipinos eat a lot less meat in general, so perhaps a different venue might be preferred.

Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director all lead their own departments and are equals under the Ships Master (Captain).

The Cruise Director reports to the Hotel Director. See for example this interview with former NCL CD Gary Glading:

The Cruise Director is one of the major senior officers onboard - I have 3½ stripes. There is only the Captain, the Staff Captain, the Hotel Director and the Chief Engineer who are above me, so in an emergency, I have a major role and I take that part of it very seriously.

I have seen "below deck" crew in the specialty restaurants, eating as a group with an officer (probably some kind of reward for good performance).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

We were on the Spirit (15 day Med. cruise) in July. The first night (at Cagney's) we had a really, really attentive and professional server (Jesper). I had heard/read that it was possible to invite a staff person to dinner - so we asked. He had to clear it with his boss (the maitre d') and it took a couple of days to schedule, but we were able to invite him to dinner (we let him pick the restaurant - Le Bistro). It was the highlight of his (and our) cruise - 8 years as an NCL server and no guest had ever invited him to dinner. His wife (the hostess in Cagney's) was super excited for him as well (she bought him a new dress shirt in port the day after we asked). He was also able to have a drink with us as he had the night off. We'll see him (and his wife) again on our Escape cruise in July (his new contract is with the Escape) and I am sure that he'll remember us!

So, yes, it can be done. Ask early and be sure to find out who needs to approve of the request so you can appeal to them directly.

~Bob

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. Very generous of you and I loved reading about how excited and appreciative he was, and especially that his wife and co-worker was also very excited for him and bought him a new shirt to wear to the dinner!

First off, for Brighton; the CD is under the Hotel Director, and the Chief Engineer heads his own department. The triumvirate under the Captain are the HD, CE and Staff Captain. Now that I've got the pecking order straight; :D

The ability to go into guest areas when off duty varies by rank. Most crew, whether hotel or deck/engine cannot do so unless it is a special occasion. Things like a reward for getting the most comment cards, etc. Perhaps a situation like this one, can't say for sure. This is strictly up to the department head's discretion. And "hanging out" would not be possible in most circumstances. A meal is one thing, spending time in a lounge or on deck might be pushing it.

Junior supervisors and junior officers have to get their department head's permission, and it is up to the maitre 'd to decide if there is space available. This again, is limited by rank as to how many times a month this can happen.

Senior supervisors and deck/engine officers can also use the guest bars if allowed. Watchkeeping deck and engine officers have a zero alcohol policy while onboard.

Senior officers and department heads can go almost at will, again subject to the maitre 'd.

Use of other guest facilities like gym, spa, etc. are pretty much limited to guest entertainers.

It sounds as if he is an unlicensed engine department rating. As such, depending on his job, he may be a watchkeeper, meaning he stands a 4 hour watch in the engine room, twice a day. Watches are 12-4, 4-8, or 8-12, plus 4 hours of maintenance work. So, his watch schedule may not meet with your dinner plans, and it may have to be lunch. If he is a dayworker, usually working 0600-1800, his time is a bit more flexible.

My suggestion is to have a letter addressed to the Chief Engineer explaining the circumstances, and go to the Front Desk immediately upon boarding, and ask for the Group Services Coordinator, explain to that person, and have them deliver the letter to the Chief. He should then contact you about whether, and when the crew member could be available.

Remember, as others have stated, he will be tired after a long day in heat that can range to 130*F, and noise you wouldn't believe, and you are asking him to change, shower, and put on his shore clothes so he can be "presentable" as a representative of NCL when he is with you. He must wear his nametag on his clothes, so folks may come up to him when they see you together to ask questions, and don't invite him to your cabin. Lots of crew and officers just don't want to bother (especially the officers who have to change uniform for the evening).

As I say, a letter to the Chief explaining your circumstances should set the wheels in motion.

Edited by chengkp75

First off, for Brighton; the CD is under the Hotel Director, and the Chief Engineer heads his own department. The triumvirate under the Captain are the HD, CE and Staff Captain. Now that I've got the pecking order straight; :D

So, would you have granted the request if possible had it come to you?

I apologize if I'm confused. It sounds like the female has been in contact with her fiancé on the ship. Can't she ask him on your behalf? Wouldn't he know if it was allowed or not? Or is this intended to be a big surprise?

I apologize if I'm confused. It sounds like the female has been in contact with her fiancé on the ship. Can't she ask him on your behalf? Wouldn't he know if it was allowed or not? Or is this intended to be a big surprise?

I'm not sure if there was communication, but it would require an initiative from the guest to really start things along. He can prime the pump a little bit, though by feeling out the Chief.

DD and I were on Alaska cruise and one of the activities staff invited us and another mom and daughter on a hike to a lake in Skagway. We had a great time, took him out for a meal afterward. He, Dd and the girl he introduced us to are still in touch. We also took him on our kayak trip in Ketchikan. He had to get time off approved but it didn't seem like a big deal to do so.

I'm not sure if there was communication, but it would require an initiative from the guest to really start things along. He can prime the pump a little bit, though by feeling out the Chief.
At the very least, his fiancée should give him enough warning so that when his supervisor talks to him about the OP's request, his reaction is not "I have no idea who these people are."

Since the OP doesn't know this man, either, I can just picture some mix-up leading to them having a lovely dinner with completely the wrong person. :p

Thank you so much to those who wrote the very informative and helpful replies!

I just emailed my friend now asking her to find out if her fiancee has already requested to be able to meet with us. She is checking and will get back to me. She gave me his extension and told me to call him when we get on the ship. If everything isn't cleared up by him already, or if I don't hear back before we leave for the airport, I will email to contact the Hotel Director, and then look for them when we are on board. We have a large meet and mingle (116 signed up) so I'm guessing some officers will show up there too, although I know that's the day after we board.

Again, much appreciation to those who offered helpful advice!

I promise to report back on how everything went and the actual procedure and rules when I find out from the fiancee.

~Bob

What a lovely story. Thanks for sharing that! :)

On our behind the scenes tour on the Escape, we were told that the crew has the option to dine at specialty restaurants on their off nights. They paid the regular prices, and availability was limited to whatever slots were left after all guest bookings. While I can't state definitively, it certainly seemed that this privilege extended beyond officers & entertainers.

I'd guess it should be the same way on Epic then - no reason for it to be any different.

Doug I read your wonderful review of Escape and that is what made me make up my mind to book it! Going on Halloween!

It is definitely possible, however as noted, there is a very specific process and in this case because he is not in a deck position, it may be more difficult. (deck positions are non-officer/senior staff customer facing positions such as servers and retail). There are also restrictions on alcohol consumption on board in public areas.

PRIOR to embarkation, I would contact them if possible (seems like you have), which will also allow them to possibly adjust their work schedule (most staffs allow a little shift trading).

The employee will also usually need to have an above average rating to get a privilege like this.

And finally, remember they work LONG days, don't be upset if he begs off to get some rest - also, a thought, Filipinos eat a lot less meat in general, so perhaps a different venue might be preferred.

Yes we will be mindful that he has just worked 8am to 8pm every day in a row. I don't know how these crew members do it really!