Independence/Navigator in August, many kids?

Hi all,

We're already planning our 2017 potential cruise (we haven't even been on our Indy cruise yet in June, but we like to be preapred!).

Anyway, does anyone have any experiences of sailing from the UK in August on either Indy or Navigator, and whether there tends to be a lot of kids on board in the summer hols?

Mum is reluctant to book a summer holiday cruise and have lots of kids running riot, is cruising popular amongst people with children?

I have told her about the solarium area but she thinks that's full of old people! (despite the fact I'm 24 and I spent time in there in the quiet), can't win, I think she'd be happy if it was just her on the ship! ;-)

Anyway, any experiences?

I think you have to be prepared that any ex UK cruise in peak school holidays will be busy. Most cruises on Indy/Nav during this period will have 1200+ children of varying ages and there are few truly quiet locations. It depends what your thresholds are....We went end July on Indy in 2014 and are going again this year. It was busy with kids but there are upsides depending on the ages your children are. My then 13/17 olds made friends and had a wonderful time - so much so that they asked to go back on the same ship and same date to meet up with kids they've stayed in touch with. It may not suit all but we had a good experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Red-arrow

Both Independence and Navigator are great ships for families and kids. To expect anything other than a lot of kids when school is on vacation is a bit naive. Either prepare yourself for it or don't go. And don't count on the solarium as a safe haven unless you get up early and stake out your territory. The seating fills up fast.

Both Independence and Navigator are great ships for families and kids. To expect anything other than a lot of kids when school is on vacation is a bit naive. Either prepare yourself for it or don't go. And don't count on the solarium as a safe haven unless you get up early and stake out your territory. The seating fills up fast.

Yeah Mum wants to give it a miss, gunna go on the 8th July one instead! :) I was lucky on a few occasions in the solarium, but agree it does fill up fast, the pool is gorgeous though, so wamr it's like bath water! And nice and quiet, I only learnt to swim on my last cruise so liked practicing lengths in that pool as it was quieter :)

• 2 weeks later...

You may find that the Scottish schools have broken up for the summer for the 8th July cruise?

We went last year on Explorer end of July-kids running riot,it was the talk of the ship with the couples we met. Having said that,we are still planning on going on Indy this August. I think the Explorer felt cramped when compared to our cruise on Liberty a few year ago-we're going to give it a go anyway, as we have to cruise summer time due to my job:(

If it's a choice between being at home and being surrounded by kids I'll take the latter :)

You may find that the Scottish schools have broken up for the summer for the 8th July cruise?

We went last year on Explorer end of July-kids running riot,it was the talk of the ship with the couples we met. Having said that,we are still planning on going on Indy this August. I think the Explorer felt cramped when compared to our cruise on Liberty a few year ago-we're going to give it a go anyway, as we have to cruise summer time due to my job:(

If it's a choice between being at home and being surrounded by kids I'll take the latter :)

We went on Explorer last August and yes the kids just ran riot!! I didn't mind it during the day but it seemed worse on the night. It peed me off a few times to be honest. We took our 11yr old with us but he stayed by our side on the night.

We are going on Indy june 18th so hopefully not as many kids. Fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Yeah Mum wants to give it a miss, gunna go on the 8th July one instead! :) I was lucky on a few occasions in the solarium, but agree it does fill up fast, the pool is gorgeous though, so wamr it's like bath water! And nice and quiet, I only learnt to swim on my last cruise so liked practicing lengths in that pool as it was quieter :)

I know people going on the Independence at start of July as Scottish Schools and Northern Ireland Schools break up at end of June until Mid August. English and Welsh Schools break up around 3rd week of July until start of September.

Steven