Will Emerald Lake be frozen?

ms sjsky

Been reading these boards to help plan our upcoming cruise in May. We'll be cruising from Seattle on May 15th and was wondering what the chances are that Emerald Lake will still be frozen if we take the ride up there. Right now we have a tour booked with Chilkoot but not going into the Yukon. May change it though if the Lake will not be frozen early in the season. Also, we're taking the bus up and train back. What side do we sit on to get the best views.

Thanks!

Been reading these boards to help plan our upcoming cruise in May. We'll be cruising from Seattle on May 15th and was wondering what the chances are that Emerald Lake will still be frozen if we take the ride up there. Right now we have a tour booked with Chilkoot but not going into the Yukon. May change it though if the Lake will not be frozen early in the season. Also, we're taking the bus up and train back. What side do we sit on to get the best views.

Thanks!

When I went in 2014 for Memorial day week (May 27) we rented a car and drove up there and it wasn't frozen at all but I am sure other people will know better than I.

Edited by ms1badtk

Sorry, I don't have the link. But, when I was researching this, for the last week in May, I know it should not be frozen. There was a great blog by somebody who had actually cataloged photos of Emerald Lake at different dates and on different years. If I remember correctly, May 15th there might still be some ice???? But I would not think that it would be frozen, like frozen over. The ice/snow caps on the mountains at that time should make for some gorgeous scenery. I understand that they have had a mild winter this year?

Given the very mild winter we've had, and the incredibly warm temperatures already, it's almost certain that the ice will be gone even in early May. The forecast for the Emerald Lake area for the middle of next week shows highs of 50 degrees!