Should I book an accessible room?

txwriter

Hello!

I'm talking my mother to Alaska May 2017 on the Star Princess. Mom will be almost 74 at the time of our trip. We are planning approximately 10 days on land pre-cruise at our own pace. Mom usually gets around fine without assistance, but due to a back issue does need her walker/rollator from time to time as it helps her do more walking without experiencing pain in her back or legs as well as provides stability on uneven ground.

We are booked in a non-accessible room at this time. I don't believe the walker will fit through the door without collapsing it, but that is ok as she does. Of need it all the time. Does anyone know if Princess will allow us to keep non-accessible room and use walker? I have emailed them but have not heard back yet.

Would you recommend we switch to an accessible room? I hate to take a room from someone who may need it more. Also, we were really looking forward to our ocean view room. If we switch, we'd have choices of obstructed ocean view or inside OR pay a lot more for balcony which would mean losing time on land.

Mom has wanted to go to Alaska for years, and we probably won't be able to afford going back, so I'd like to do as much possible within reason.

Any help is appreciated.

The biggest differences with HA rooms are floor space, no step up to enter the bathroom, and a larger shower. If you are confident she can manage without these things, then stay where you are. The cruise line does not care as long as you do not leave the walker in the hall and do not expect them to provide personal assistance in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise!

The biggest differences with HA rooms are floor space' date=' no step up to enter the bathroom, and a larger shower. If you are confident she can manage without these things, then stay where you are. The cruise line does not care as long as you do not leave the walker in the hall and do not expect them to provide personal assistance in the cabin.

Enjoy your cruise![/quote']

Thank you. do you know if we will need to fill out a form to bring walker aboard?

How do you picture yourself using that ocean view? Many OV rooms, especially those that have bunks for a third.fourth person, have the head of the bed under the window. You have to get up on your knees and kneel on the bed in front of the window to see out. If you have the twins separated, the night stands are in front of the window. Even if the beds are on the side wall, the majority of the OV rooms on Emerald Deck are obstructed in some way and your view will not be great. And the windows are too high to allow for a good view from the only chair if sitting by the window. Since you will want to be out on deck to see much more, and hear the naturalist telling you about the scenery and wildlife, I would spring for the accessible cabin. If you haven't sailed Princess before, the bathrooms have a step up into them and the showers are tiny. In an accessible room, there would be no step up and the shower would have a bench that folds down, and grab bars by the toilet.

You are talking about a cruise more than a year in advance. You do not know how Mom will be in a year. by then, she might have more issues that would require an accessible cabin, and there would not be any left. EM

The ocean view is Mom's request due to a slight problem with claustrophobia. I agree that if we switch, we need to do it now. Our room is on the Plaza deck, so the view is not obstructed. I've already explained to her that if we switch, there is not much point in keeping an ocean view room since it will likely be fully obstructed. I know we will probably spend most of our time on deck for good views. I'm also aware that she may need it more next year than this, but the truth is she's actually much better this year than last year, so you never know.

Can we get a chair for the shower in a regular room? I think that in shower would really be helpful; it might sway me more towards an accessible room.

You do not need to fill out a form just for the walker. However, it is always good to let Special Needs know of her situation. This will get you a more comfortable location for muster drill. Also, let your room steward know; he/she will be her help in the event of an emergency.

As for the shower chair, Essiesmom is correct. There is not sufficient room in a standard shower to use a chair. The accessible bathroom is more like a wet room -- the shower is merely a large curtained section of the room with a drain in the floor. Very easy access and plenty of room for the chair.

I got a shower stool on Princess and it took up so much space in the minuscule shower that we had to turn it on it's side to be able to stand and move. EM

Very good to know! I won't be asking for one in that case. I won't worry with trying to get a shower stool. (I thought maybe they'd have one like we have at home which is very small and triangular and would fit even in that 27 inch shower).

To all who have responded: We've talked it over again, and we both feel it's important to leave the accessible rooms for people who really really need them. We will be able to manage in the regular cabin. Thanks for helping set my mind at ease.:)

Edited by txwriter

I have used a rollater/walker in a standard room. It is fine, just difficult in getting in and out of the door. I bring a door stop with me, and found it to be helpful.

Great suggestion! Thanks.

How do you picture yourself using that ocean view? Many OV rooms, especially those that have bunks for a third.fourth person, have the head of the bed under the window. You have to get up on your knees and kneel on the bed in front of the window to see out. If you have the twins separated, the night stands are in front of the window. Even if the beds are on the side wall, the majority of the OV rooms on Emerald Deck are obstructed in some way and your view will not be great. And the windows are too high to allow for a good view from the only chair if sitting by the window. Since you will want to be out on deck to see much more, and hear the naturalist telling you about the scenery and wildlife, I would spring for the accessible cabin. If you haven't sailed Princess before, the bathrooms have a step up into them and the showers are tiny. In an accessible room, there would be no step up and the shower would have a bench that folds down, and grab bars by the toilet.

You are talking about a cruise more than a year in advance. You do not know how Mom will be in a year. by then, she might have more issues that would require an accessible cabin, and there would not be any left. EM

I absolutely agree with booking an accessible cabin NOW! I use a rollator myself, an over the loo chair raiser, and grab rails near the loo and in the shower. I can manage with a lower loo as long as I have the grab rails to help me get safely to my feet.

My original cruise was booked 14 months out, was cancelled "For Operational Reasons" and I've ended up with an extra day aboard; AUD$55 in On Board Credit "For My Inconvenience" and a price reduction of AUD$35! I originally planned to book a Balcony Stateroom, but was told about the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite on the Golden Princess. It's only AUD$500 extra, and I get the Suite perks, and am 6 decks lower, so hopefully no seasickness!

It is much less stressful to book for a worst-case scenario, than try to change your booking.

Alaska is on my Win Lotto Bucket Cruise List. Enjoy your travels!