Verizon on Partial Panama Canal Cruise

TexasHikers

I searched, but I could not find exactly what I was looking for. Sorry to be so dense, but hoping someone who has experience with this can help me.

My mom is 92, still living alone and in pretty good health, but I am an only child and will be gone for 12 days. It happens that our grown children will also be gone as well. So, I looked into getting an international plan added to my Verizon phone for while we are gone. There is a plan for $40 for 100 minutes/text/data. My thinking is to call mom when we are in port. She doesn't text, so my only interest is in calling her.

I believe I need to be away from the ship so that my phone does not automatically connect to their tower. Is this correct?

$40 is fine, but I just want to be sure that I will be able to call her. Would appreciate anyone's experience or knowledge.

While in ports, the ship cell service is turned off. Whether you will have a Verizon (probably roaming) service signal on the ship while in port or have to move off the ship, I can't say.

I use a Verizon Global dumb phone, only phone and text, no data. Remember that you will want to have the phone off or in airplane mode while the ship is underway, "under" the ship's cell service, to avoid data charges for updating your apps, unless you want to use the ship cell service ($2.50 per min plus your phone service normal charges).

I used texting while on the ship while at sea and did not incur extra charges, just my normal text charge. This was my experience on Volendam, others may have more specific info for you. m--

While in ports, the ship cell service is turned off. Whether you will have a Verizon (probably roaming) service signal on the ship while in port or have to move off the ship, I can't say.

I use a Verizon Global dumb phone, only phone and text, no data. Remember that you will want to have the phone off or in airplane mode while the ship is underway, "under" the ship's cell service, to avoid data charges for updating your apps, unless you want to use the ship cell service ($2.50 per min plus your phone service normal charges).

I used texting while on the ship while at sea and did not incur extra charges, just my normal text charge. This was my experience on Volendam, others may have more specific info for you. m--

While in country, check the Verizon site for the list of countries included in the international plan. This will fall under the $40 plan limits.

Same goes for on the ship: HAL ships are considered the same as just another country: same plan, same limits. One thing I do is disable all apps for data usage under the "use cell date for" section. Then I enable ones I may want to use, such as Facebook Messenger, that use very little data. It's $25/100MB if you go over your limit.

jdg

Thanks so much! I have enrolled in the $40 International Plan. The person I spoke with at Verizon could not tell me much about the ship, but I will do what you said -- like another country -- and see if I can figure it out. Also thanks for the tips on disabling things. I will do that for sure.

We are going to the Panama area in April. I stopped by Verizon Cellular Sales Store the other day. The guy I spoke with travels to the Caribbean frequently. He said that the Verizon international calling plan is for calling each other in the country you are visiting. You cannot call the US on the plan. He suggested buying a burner phone. Maybe that is the same thing as a Verizon Goble Dumb Phone.

I talked with Verizon today and told her that I needed to call my mom while on a cruise and she signed me up for the international calling plan -- 40.00 for one month. She then sent me instructions on how to place calls while in Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica to the US with country codes etc Sure hope it works The instructions also included how to call within the country.

I talked with Verizon today and told her that I needed to call my mom while on a cruise and she signed me up for the international calling plan -- 40.00 for one month. She then sent me instructions on how to place calls while in Aruba, Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica to the US with country codes etc Sure hope it works The instructions also included how to call within the country.

Exactly. Call Verizon and ask instead of following advice found on the internet.

Turning your phone off or placing it in airplane mode means you will be unable to receive any calls or texts even those notifying you of a family emergency. You can prevent apps from updating by turning data off in your settings. This will still allow you to receive calls or texts. Verizon doesn't charge for calls you do not answer meaning you can screen your calls without incurring charges. Texts are only five cents.

In any event, call your service provider for complete instructions.

Speaking of emergencies, if there is an emergency at home is there a HAL phone number someone can get a hold of you on the ship?

From HAL's website:

Telephone: Shore to Ship

Connecting to a Holland America Line vessel at sea is simple by using Ship Dial Service. A credit card is required for all inbound phone calls to a ship. The rate is $US16.00 per minute and billing begins at the time specified. Please have the ship's name, your party's name and stateroom number before you call.

Instructions:

Dial 1‐800‐993‐5483 (US). From outside the U.S. access 1‐321‐837‐6106.

Listen to the announcement.

Listen to the menu and select the number that corresponds to the ship you are calling.

If you receive a busy signal or message, please hang up quickly and try your call again.

Checkout the new Verizon "Travel Pass." It is something like $5-10 a day and you are only charged if you use it. There is a list of countries and charges on the Verizon site. Supposedly you can use your phone just like you do at home.