Zenith Questions

sea-jay

I'm new to Celebrity but not to Cruise Critic as I mostly frequent the RCL and Scuba boards.

Our travel club has just reserved cabins on the December 29, 2006 sailing of the Zenith and I have a few questions I hope someone can help with.

When is Zenith going into Dry dock? I read on some of the posts that various mentions were made of dry dock but no one said when. What is expected to be done during this time?

I have a friend that has a serious problem with heights and DW and I would like them to join us for this cruise. Does Zenith have open (glass sided) elevators? Is there a high atrium aboard? Will he have any problems with heights over one story anywhere inside as long as he doesn't get to the edge of the ship?

Is there any advantage to booking a suite vs. Concierge cabin? What does the butler give you as far as additional amenities? Is it worth the extra cost?

What Spa services are offered? Does Celebrity have the Rasaul (couples) treatment?

Does Celebrity do a good job on excursions? I have always enjoyed the RCL excursions and would probably book some thru the ship since we will have 5 port days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi..I can answer a few questions. Zenith drydock is scheduled for 10/23-11/11/05...back in service 11/12. No one really knows what will be done but speculation says mostly engine, propeller, mechanical type work and maybe some sprucing up of rugs, drapes, bedspreads. No major rennovations as far as we know.

I don't think your friend will have any height problems with Zenith. There are no glass elevators and there is no high open atrium on the ship. I would stay away from the upper level open aft decks if he has the height problem, otherwise I think he will be just fine.

There is a spa but don't know about the couples rasaul service. I did my own excursions, except for the trolley ride (1 hour around Hamilton).

That's an interesting story. On that first cruise I met my husband who was my handsome Italian waiter. Since then we have always spent our vacations in Italy (23 trips in 20 years) which left me no time or money for cruising. Not that I'm complaining about going to Italy which has since become like a second home for me. His entire family lives there. But this year was a special birthday for both of us and I wanted to celebrate that on a cruise. I think I waited long enough :D . Also I had some trepidation about cruising since I was terribly seasick on that first cruise. Of course back then there were smaller ships and no stabilizers. I also had a cabin in the very front of the ship in a very stormy sea.

Anyway, we picked Celebrity since we like the formality of the line and we enjoy good food and service. Our cruise in June was sooo perfect, soooo wonderful that I couldn't wait to go back. So we got a good deal in September and I prayed for calm seas and no hurricanes and off we went. We did have some effects from Hurricane Nate and had to leave Bermuda a day early. We had some rocking and rolling but I was prepared with Bonine and SeaBands and didn't feel a thing. In fact, I discovered I like the rolling of the ship! We had an extra sea-day which I like and beautiful weather on the way home so it all turned out well.

So that's the story of my long cruising draught. You can be sure though that it won't happen again. I'm already looking into my next cruise ;) on Celebrity, of course.

Hi Brooklyn Girl,

Really not much to add, but as a former Brooklyn girl who took a first cruise on the Home Lines, I just had to say hi. I haven't been back since my MIL passed away in 1998, but plan on a foodie, eating visit again soon. Nothing like the original Nathan's and Italian food from the "old country".

Sea-Jay, as for the Zenith, I have a fear of heights; a bit less extreme than your friend. I had no problems, even ate outside twice. As the upper decks are not as far out as the lower decks, you don't feel as far up when seated.

Have a ball, she's a great ship with wonderful staff.

The dates for the drydock are actually 10/23/05 thru 11/4/05 returning to service on 11/5/05 with a 5 nighter to the Western Caribbean. (I know this because I'm ON the 11/5/05 sailing!)

I concur that there are no areas aside from outside at the railing where your friend might find issue with the height. All floors are only 1 deck, including the lobby and dining room.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the extra cost for a suite or CC on Zenith. There are no balconies, and the CC benefits are (to me, anyway) not worth the extra cost. Rooms are the same size as any other outside cabin.

We did not use ship's excursions, we booked our own so I cannot help you there.

They do have a Rasul on Zenith. My husband and I had a Rasul session our first cruise on Zenith.

Enjoy your cruise. I will be reporting back on the updates when we return from our 5 nighter, so look for the posts. :)

The dates for the drydock are actually 10/23/05 thru 11/4/05 returning to service on 11/5/05 with a 5 nighter to the Western Caribbean. (I know this because I'm ON the 11/5/05 sailing!)

I concur that there are no areas aside from outside at the railing where your friend might find issue with the height. All floors are only 1 deck, including the lobby and dining room.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the extra cost for a suite or CC on Zenith. There are no balconies, and the CC benefits are (to me, anyway) not worth the extra cost. Rooms are the same size as any other outside cabin.

We did not use ship's excursions, we booked our own so I cannot help you there.

They do have a Rasul on Zenith. My husband and I had a Rasul session our first cruise on Zenith.

Enjoy your cruise. I will be reporting back on the updates when we return from our 5 nighter, so look for the posts. :)

We look forward to your review as our granddaughter is getting married on the Z in December. NMNita

Sea-jay: W like Concierge Class but only if we get it for not much more than the highest grade of outside cabin, which is often the case. And on the Zenith I would pay for concierge but not a suite unless you could pay for the Royal Suite. The Zenith suites are just a littel bigger than the regular cabin. Of course you get a tub if that is important to you. With concierge you get fresh flowers and fresh fruit everyday. A bottle of bubbly in your cabin. A pillow "menu" to choose from and a full breakfast room service menu. Also a very nice vinyl tote bag at the end of the cruise. On the Zenith the cabins (other than suites) are all the same so only go for it if you are not paying too much more. We also like being on deck 10. Only one flight up to the burger grill and inside to coffee and everything else. Great location!

The spa is full service like other ships and lines. I saw a special on port days for a couples Rasul on our recent Bermuda cruise. I had a basic manicure and pedicure and the Frangipani scalp and neck massage (THAT is GREAT!) They have pretty much the same thing in other spas but as it is an older ship they do not have the whole persian garden thing. They do have a sauna in the spa.

Excursions are pretty much the same on every line, I think. Depends on the port but I think they all use the same services on shore. You can check out excursions for a specific port on the Celebrity website.

All in all Celebrity provides a very nice package. You will love it! Marilyn

BrooklynGirl - I was last in Italy in 1978 with my, then 13 year old son. We had been in the middle East and were on our way home. We backpacked thru Europe for two weeks with him complaining all the time. Now tho, he remembers that trip with the fondest memories. Go Figure!!:D

CaroleSP, Luckyroot, newmexicoNita, mjmagee - Thanks for your input. I am going to try and convince my friend that he will be ok on the ship. Hopefully, they will join us.

Looks like I may start frequenting this board as well as the RCL one. Sounds like a lot of nice people here.

Again, thanks to y'all.

• 5 months later...

Just an update to my prior posts. Our travel club has now booked 128 members for the 12/29/06 sailing to Panama and the Western Caribbean departing out of Tampa.

Unfortunately, our close friends elected not to go with us. However, the good news is that we took a short cruise to the Bahamas in November with another couple (also close friends-they were in our wedding party 17 years ago) and they are joining us for the Zenith cruise. Then there are the 120 or so other 'close' friends from our travel club.:D

I want to thank everyone that responded to my original questions. I have been reading a lot here on the Celebrity board but not posting much at all lately except with the standard threads I ususally follow over on Scuba and RCL.

One thing I really likedis that my TA has already enrolled us in the Captain's Club at the Select Level (which is the equivalent RCL Platinum level).

Hi John:D good to see you over here!

You know I am going back on Zenith next month.....I will be

glad to give you further updates upon returning home.

Oh, Tell Cheryl hi from me too:)

CC cabins on Zenith are the same size as the other outside cabins [172 square feet] the Zenith Suites are 270 square feet, we spend a lot of time in our cabin so to get the additional 100 square feet, makes it well worth the additional cost for us.

Archived