Suitcases - locked or unlocked?

j3000

Cruise lines may not have the keys for these locks but I'd rather go to the naughty room to open my bag if they suspect there's any prohibited items than to tempt a baggage handler.

They have no trouble unlocking the TSA locks if they need to. If a baggage handler wants to go in your bag, locking it may only slow them down by 5 or 10 seconds. Maybe because its locked they may just open the next bag instead, OR maybe because its locked now they think your bag has more valuable things in it and it a bigger catch. Don't keep anything super-valuable in checked luggage, ever.

Zip ties for me. If someone wants in they need not damage my zippered bag. It keep the zipper shut.

+1 That is a very good idea actually. They be more hesitant to cut off the zip-tie than to just open the TSA lock and it would likely stop a snooping baggage handler.

Always locked. With TSA locks, of course. Maybe they can get in, but maybe they will move on to those y'all leave unlocked. I can't fit my kilt and accessories in my carryon, so, yes, there's something expensive, but it is custom fitted to me, so of no value to someone else. I hope they realize.....:cool: Meds and jewelry in carryon, of course.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

We don't lock our suitcases. Only thing we check are clothes and toiletries. Everything of value is in our carryon. As someone else posted, the suitcase is probably more expensive than anything in the suitcase.

$300 computer and $200 camera are in my carry on.

$500 suit (plus other clothes) are in the suitcase.

I lock it.

Even if locked, something can go missing when the TSA is involved and it it not theft, just incompetence.

We checked our locked suitcase in Houston. When we arrived in Australia with it, there was a note saying the TSA had opened it up for inspection.

There also was someone else's jean jacket inside.

So someone had a jean jacket go missing when TSA could not properly put items back in the suitcases they came from. And, when we returned to the USA and tried to give the jean jacket to TSA, they had no interest in taking it and attempting to find its owner.

I used to work for a major airline- I started out in the lost luggage department. Locks and zip ties are really good for helping keep zippers together (if you have a habit of over stuffing your luggage you really need to secure your zippers). Not so good for keeping anyone out- I've had to open plenty of suitcases in order to identify them and reunite them with their owners, and never had any real problems- the TSA are even better at it. Very good advice on here so far about what not to put in checked bags- and believe me, people put all kinds of things in checked bags that shouldn't be there!:eek: