Terrible disembarkation at Port Everglades 3/26

mupt87

Off the serenade this morning too. Worst experience in all of our 30+ cruises. They had one of our bags at the lost luggage even though still had the tag right there on it clearly viewable.

The staff from intercruise is terrible and very rude. The woman making sure that the long line kept moving was one of the rudest people I have ever met. She was yelling at a small kid and mother and once they passed this woman kept going on and on about the kid. Not sure why this lady had to be so nasty so loud.

Customs line was terrible long with 3 agents (maybe 4 by the time we exited about an hour after leaving the ship)

We disembarked the Allure yesterday (Easter Sunday) in Fort Lauderdale. Our luggage tag no. 5 was called 15 minutes early at 7:45. We were through customs and on the Park n Go van in less than 30 minutes. Plenty of customs agents and they were quick. Such a surprise for a major holiday and a perfect ending for a great cruise!

Dennis

I've only sailed out of Everglades 5 times, but I see a definite correlation between the number of ships in port vs debarkation time. Makes sense. I believe there are X number of agents +/- a relatively small number. So, if there are 6 ships unloading pax - you can count on a slow day.

On our recent Navigator cruise (Terminal 29), there were (at least)6 agents, and the line just flew through. Once we had our luggage, we were through the door in less than 10 minutes. But, there were only 4 ships in port - and no Oasis class ship - so, I guess we had more agents than we would have if there were more ships. Having said that - I've had debarkations take FOREVER (add 3 hours) - and there were more ships in the port (specifically an Oasis class).

I've picked up a few tricks and tips on how to get off the ship fast but it's all for naught if there are only 2-3 customs agents working in your specific terminal.

Edited by Toddcan

I'm also noticing that those on Oasis class ships tend to have better debarkation experiences - sounds like they fully staff that terminal - often at the expense of any other ship in port?

True there may be even more staffing shortage with the holiday but others are reporting long delays other weekends as well. While I realize things happen from time to time it sounds like this happens quite often in PE.

And there have been plenty of posters that have experienced just fine debarkation service time at PE. I believe it is 'unrealistic expectations' of cruisers, that fosters misappointing end results.

I can use my last cruise on Navigator. DH always hope to be out of the terminal waiting for the shuttle to our car by 9:30am. We do self assist off the ship. So as is our plan we have all of our luggage packed and we go off to breakfast in WJ. We return to our cabin to pick up our luggage usually around 7:30. We know we might have to wait for a few elevators to get in...that is fine. We arrive generally before 8am into the queue line to leave the ship as self assist, wiggle our way through the line that is snaked through the dining room generally and then off the ship...then down to Customs. as usual we face another wiggling line....it moves, we have all our doc's in hand and viola somewhere between 9 and 9:30 we are making our way to pick up the shuttle to our off site parking. Usually in our car by 10am off to home. Could it be a little off, one way or the other -- sure. Many times earlier.

What really irritates me are the passengers that KNOW they need certain documentation, and no matter how many people tell them to have their things ready -- they DON'T.

We got off Independence on 3/26. Initially we had an 11:20 flight scheduled. After reading about slow disembarkation, I rescheduled our flight to 2:25. Thank God I did! I took almost 3 hours from our scheduled disembarkation time of 9:15 am to get to Customs. We weren't called out of the the theater until about 10am Then, stood in the stairways and hallways for at least another hour until we were off the ship. Then, more lines outside and in customs. Oasis was in port as well as 2 other ships. Don't know if this is how bad it usually is. We have cruised >15 times and have never seen anything like it! Don't know if it is a RCCL issue or a port issue.

When we got off of the Seranade in Feb.,there were only 2 agents,that was terrible,so we know what you went thru.Our flight was 1159,thanks to a snow storm up north the flight was delayed and that is why we made it

Bingo....those with short memories have forgotten this vital fact.

Complaints of long lines began immediately upon sequestration measures.

If that were 100% true, then all Terminals would be bad, but they aren't. At some Terminals you can be on the ship @ 8:30 AM and 20-minutes later be in a cab on the way to the airport. Even in Port Everglades there is a big discrepancy in time in Customs depending on which Terminal you're at.

For our cruise on April 16th and when we get back into the port we have a late flight so looking into the valet service and find something to do for the day in FLL so won't be in a hurry to get off the ship..;)

I'm also noticing that those on Oasis class ships tend to have better debarkation experiences - sounds like they fully staff that terminal - often at the expense of any other ship in port?

Not for Jan/Feb B4B on Allure. They didn't have many Officers and it was quite slow.

Being B2B we didn't get back onto the ship until 12:30? with one sailing. We were boarding with all the embarking passengers as they had so many in the Terminal waiting, once the ship cleared they let them start.

We had to wait for the Officer to check our passports, before we could be cleared to embark.

Not for Jan/Feb B4B on Allure. They didn't have many Officers and it was quite slow.

Being B2B we didn't get back onto the ship until 12:30? with one sailing. We were boarding with all the embarking passengers as they had so many in the Terminal waiting, once the ship cleared they let them start.

We had to wait for the Officer to check our passports, before we could be cleared to embark.

If my theory is correct, then the other terminals would have been even worse.

The port is the biggest in Florida - perhaps in the USA?(world?) If there happens to be the day when it's full (8 ships?), then the customs staff is spread out thinner - but the Oasis class having some priority.

You most certainly can. The law for federal employees, which is codified at 5 CFR 550.1002(b), explicitly gives agencies the right to deny requests for leave on a religious holiday if it will interfere with the efficient accomplishment of an agency's mission.

In practice, most such requests are granted, but it is not an absolute right of the employee to unilaterally decide not to work on any particular day.

Thank you for stating that! Yes they most certainly can deny a worker a holiday off! My husband works for Homeland Security, a department which is operational 365 days a year. If a holiday happens to fall on his regular days off then great, however, if he wants any other day off, religious or otherwise, he has to put in a written request and depending upon staffing, he may or may not get his wish.

Disembarked yesterday 3/27 Navigator, there were at least 6 ships in port. Did self carry, left cabin with luggage at 6:30 and was at the airport before 7:30. I don't see myself ever putting luggage out again...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Easter Sunday is not a federal holiday. If an employee wants it off, they have to request it as a vacation day. After being an air traffic controller for 33 years I kind of forgot what holidays were. If there weren't enough customs agents there, don't blame them, blame congress.

That old terminal is the worst. Every time we come in there - Indy, Vision, does not matter - walk off, check bags, doesn't matter. It is awful!!!! Cannot wait for them to remodel that terminal. Hopefully things will be better then.

We were on Indy in Feb. Express walkoff. Still had to lug our luggage down 2 decks to get off. What a PITA. Then the LONGGGGGGGG walk to the terminal.

I like cruising out of FLL but HATE that old terminal.

Every time I have disembarked at terminal 24 there, it is awful and slow. I can think of 3 or 4 times where it took hours from assigned time to getting to my car. First you have to go down to the bottom deck. Walk a ways to the terminal. Go through long lines. Then a long walk to my car. It doesn't help that the parking garage is a bit of a hike from there too. Not a great way to end a vacation. They really need to look in to doing something to streamline that terminal.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

This has been an ongoing issue with Indy disembarking at Port Everglades for a while. A lot is dependent on the day you arrive. If you're in when one of the Oasis ships is there, you get relegated to one of the smaller terminals that are ill-equipped to handle a ship the size of Indy. Your experience mirrors mine almost exactly from back in January. We had tag # 1, and took at least 2 hours to get from the theater on board through customs.

We got off Independence on 3/26. Initially we had an 11:20 flight scheduled. After reading about slow disembarkation, I rescheduled our flight to 2:25. Thank God I did! I took almost 3 hours from our scheduled disembarkation time of 9:15 am to get to Customs. We weren't called out of the the theater until about 10am Then, stood in the stairways and hallways for at least another hour until we were off the ship. Then, more lines outside and in customs. Oasis was in port as well as 2 other ships. Don't know if this is how bad it usually is. We have cruised >15 times and have never seen anything like it! Don't know if it is a RCCL issue or a port issue.

SO ... hows that sound to all you people who open threads on here about "Can I Make a 9:30 AM Flight Out Of FLL?"

SO ... hows that sound to all you people who open threads on here about "Can I Make a 9:30 AM Flight Out Of FLL?"

Awww...you know they will skip over post's like these & just zero in on the ones that say..."I made an 8:30 flight with time to spare...";) :D

If my theory is correct, then the other terminals would have been even worse.

The port is the biggest in Florida - perhaps in the USA?(world?) If there happens to be the day when it's full (8 ships?), then the customs staff is spread out thinner - but the Oasis class having some priority.

We have been on Oasis class before with B2Bs and it was very quick! Been on Indy same time of year B4Bs and no real problems then. This time it was very slow.

The Allure staff commented there had been less Officers? The first B2B was quicker and the 2 other B2Bs not so much. We disembarked with a later time on our last cruise and it was OK for us. We had a 3 PM flight and were happy about that flight time, having no worries to make it.

Maybe they only have so many Officers and place different #s at the terminals and Allure got less for those times?

Just a heads up for those that like those early AM flights.

Awww...you know they will skip over post's like these & just zero in on the ones that say..."I made an 8:30 flight with time to spare...";) :D

.... u are so right !!

For our cruise on April 16th and when we get back into the port we have a late flight so looking into the valet service and find something to do for the day in FLL so won't be in a hurry to get off the ship..;)

From what some folks have said in the past, the longer you wait to get off, the longer the process takes.