Please tell me about the Canary Islands -

We will be on the Splendour of the Seas in Nov. and one of the ports will be the Canary Islands. Would appreciate any info. from someone who has been there.

Thanks,

Cheryl and Ray

On a warm mountain ridge in WV

Thanksgiving on the Splendour

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03</marquee>

icon_cool.gifThe Canary Islands are all very different, so please let me know which one(s) you are going to and I can be more specific. Some were very tropical and scenic.

We were there in late Feb. in 1999 and I do keep a journal on thoughts and sights, so let me know and I'll try to help you.

Silverfox - thank you for the reply - our itinerary shows that we will be arriving in Tenerife, Canary Islands Nov. 18th.

Is this where you have visited?

Thanks for any info. you can share with us.

Cheryl and Ray

On a rainy mountain ridge in WV

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03</marquee>

Sorry to be negative but I found both Lanzarote & Tenerife to both be rather dull ports of call,with a visit to Mount Teide National park on Tenerife being the main attraction. Southern Tenerife is given over to mass tourism. Both are Volcanic Islands and appear to be strategic stopping points rather than interesting places to visit.

icon_cool.gifOf course everyone has different opinions, but we totally enjoyed each of the Canary Islands for what they were.

Tenerife had beautiful scenery along the sea shore, and the hilly drive over to Puerto Cruz was most interesting. Many seaside village scenes, lots of flowers and trees, and places to take pictures.

Puerto Cruz is, of course, a typical resort village, but we found the shops interesting and had a neat hour sitting outside a cafe people-watching and having a glass of wine.

To me, Lanzarote was an island of total contrast and was more than amazing. The homes along the seaside are all white and must (according to law) be trimmed in green. The ride through the Fire Mountains is like being on the moon -- nothing but molten rock! Awesome!

So enjoy Tenerife for what it is but you will find beauty there!

That's the fun of travel in new or unusual places -- looking for contrast and enjoying it.

Hi Cheryl and Ray,

We went on a Canary Island cruise last year on QE2.

Sorry to said that Tenerife is one of our least liked port. Yes, it is very commercial if you work right off the ship; it is just like down town SF. We did walk around the town a bit after our tour. It was quite interesting actually, with some very old building and some very modern artistic one next to each other. If you went on a tour, then you will experience that true image of Tenerife both desert and tropical forest on one Island.

Enjoy your trip; anything is better than stay at home icon_smile.gif

Thank you cwc, Mike Andrews and silverfox --for your input. I'll have my husband look at your posts and decide what we shoul do while there. I might stay on the ship and relax.

Ray is the one who enjoys the tours.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

Cheryl and Ray

On a chilly mountain ridge in WV

• 5 years later...

The most popular Canary Islands (Tenerife, Gran Canaria and Lanzarote) are popular European holiday destinations.

Tenerife is an island of contrasts, dry and arrid in the south (Plays De Las Americas) and green and lucious in the north (Puerto de la Cruz).

I belive the cruise ships dock in Santa Cruz, this is a commerical centre with large department stores.

The main attraction is Mount Teide which can be reached by cable car (weather permitting).

Playa de las Americas is not worth visiting as a cruise ship visitor.

Hope this helps.

Our TA next year out of Barcelona will include Tenerife and Santa Cruz, yet being our first TA are looking forward to seeing Barcelona for two days and the following Ports, Cartegna, Malaga, and Cadiz. We will enjoy the Canary islands for what it has to offer. The experience of doing our first trip to Europe will be our treat.

We will be stoping at Tenerife next fall, have been to Santa Cruz on Las Palmas and thought it was beautiful! A group pf 6 of us hired 2 taxis and saw quite a bit of the Island. We went to a winery & did a tasting. Bought a couple bottles of apertif. Went to the "volcano" which is a caldera at the southern tip of the island...San Antonio I believe it was called. Went to the small town of Tazacorte, they had beautiful views and a nice black sand beach. The main industry is banana farming. Look forward to our future visit to the Canaries.

We were in Tenerife, Canary Islands in December of last year. We LOVED it! We had the best tour guide EVER! She took us to the best lunch place too! If you want her name, let me know. I will be happy to get it for you!! Many people on our ship LOVED the shopping! The walk out of the Pier area is pretty far if your ship is the last one there. Let me know, mardi berry

We were in Tenerife, Canary Islands in December of last year. We LOVED it! We had the best tour guide EVER! She took us to the best lunch place too! If you want her name, let me know. I will be happy to get it for you!! Many people on our ship LOVED the shopping! The walk out of the Pier area is pretty far if your ship is the last one there. Let me know, mardi berry

yes please email with tour guide name...we are in the planning phase for next year. email below in signature

I think Cruise Critic rules allow you to mention the name and e mail address of the tour guide in the boards since other members are inquiring.

I would also like the details, thanks.

We thought las Palmas was also quite dull as a port. Nothing of interest to see. Nothing of interest to buy.

You didn't like Barcelona, Madeira and Malta either. Most of your posts about European ports are negative. Also the same comment on all your posts: "there was nothing interesting to buy". What do you like? Diamonds International?

cpawson: The Canary Islands are a popular holiday destination in Europe. Let's say the Puerto Vallarta of Europe, measuring by foreign tourists. People go there for the good weather year round. Probably you will have the best weather on your November cruise there. Tenerife has more than 10 million visitors a year. Most sunbathing tourists go to the south of the island, and not so much to Puerto de la Cruz, as the weather on one side of the island can be very different than the other, and the airport (TFS) is in the south. Prior to 1977, the north was the main tourist hotspot because the airport (TFN) was there. After the devastating KLM-Pan Am crash in 1977 a new airport was built in the south, and the north lost a lot of its tourist income.

Puerto de la Cruz has a nice marina. The Botanical Gardens and the Loro parrot park are nice too. Santa Cruz is the capital, with some old government buildings. The highlight of Tenerife is the Pico del Teide, the imposing volcano in the inland. The inland of the island is dry and dusty, quite different from the coast. The volcano and the National Park have UNESCO World Heritage status. In total, half the island is protected in National Parks. The beautiful historical town San Christóbal de La Laguna is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

As others have mentioned, the south coast consists mainly of holiday resorts and hotels, and is not interesting for the average cruise passenger. Unless you have a craving for English breakfast, German sausages and Belgian fries.:rolleyes:

Check out Wikipedia for a brief history and some pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from a transatlantic, visiting La Palma, Tenerife and Lanzarote. Of the three, La Palma was our hands-down favorite - walk off the pier into the little town and find scenery, black-sand beaches, shopping (if you like handcrafted silver jewelry, silk scarves, leather goods), good paella and gorgeous perfect weather. Shops close for siesta each day so do your shopping in the morning and your tours in the afternoon. The shops are mostly open on Sunday, despite what your ship's port person may tell you.

We found Tenerife to be the most commercialized, but explored the island's pyramids on a half-day tour and then walked around the port, enjoyed genuine Spanish gazpacho. Bought a fabulous coat.

Lanzarote had a beautiful toasted-sand beach and cute resort area - walk a little away from the waterfront for better restaurant prices. The remainder of the port looked a little..."bombed out", but others on our sailing did some great shopping and really enjoyed the town. We were probably in the wrong neighborhood! Had another good lunch, though...

Enjoy yourselves and don't just stay on the ship - it's an interesting place and the people were very welcoming.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived