Please tell me about the Canary Islands -

I realize this thread is about Tenerife, but wondered if anyone had been to Puerto del Rosario or San Sebastian de la Gomera? Looks like not much to do in Puerto del Rosario and San Sebastian would be Christopher Columbus-related (real and imaginary). Any ideas for what to see or do for these two places? Thanks...fran

We were in Tenerife, Canary Islands in December of last year. We LOVED it! We had the best tour guide EVER! She took us to the best lunch place too! If you want her name, let me know. I will be happy to get it for you!! Many people on our ship LOVED the shopping! The walk out of the Pier area is pretty far if your ship is the last one there. Let me know, mardi berry

Would love the name, etc., of the tour guide you used on Tenerife.

email: bonbru92101@yahoo.com.

Will be there in late November

Thanks!

We were in Tenerife on a TA cruise in April. We just got off the ship and strolled up the dock area until we found a cab driver who spoke fairly good English--not an easy task--and hired him for the day.

He took us along the east and north coast to Puerto Cruz. It was a beautiful drive; we stopped several places for photos of the coast line and volcano and made a short 'shopping' stop at a place that sold souvineers, had wine tasting, etc. It wasn't a hard sell at all; we browsed around, then walked around the picturesque town a little.

Then we went on to Puerto Cruz. Yes, it is a little touristy, but we had fun doing a little shopping and walking along the black sand beach and beachside attractions.

Just returned from a transatlantic, visiting La Palma, Tenerife and Lanzarote. Of the three, La Palma was our hands-down favorite - walk off the pier into the little town and find scenery, black-sand beaches, shopping (if you like handcrafted silver jewelry, silk scarves, leather goods), good paella and gorgeous perfect weather. Shops close for siesta each day so do your shopping in the morning and your tours in the afternoon. The shops are mostly open on Sunday, despite what your ship's port person may tell you.

We found Tenerife to be the most commercialized, but explored the island's pyramids on a half-day tour and then walked around the port, enjoyed genuine Spanish gazpacho. Bought a fabulous coat.

Lanzarote had a beautiful toasted-sand beach and cute resort area - walk a little away from the waterfront for better restaurant prices. The remainder of the port looked a little..."bombed out", but others on our sailing did some great shopping and really enjoyed the town. We were probably in the wrong neighborhood! Had another good lunch, though...

Enjoy yourselves and don't just stay on the ship - it's an interesting place and the people were very welcoming.

I'm on the Voyager of the Seas transatlantic in Nov. with my 83 yr old Mom. We're stopping at La Palma. I think this port is the reason she's going since our ancestors came from the Canaries. I read somewhere that it can be 1/4 mile walk at the pier there. Is that right? I don't think she can walk that far. If it is a long walk, is there any kind of transportation on the pier or are there taxi stands closer to the ship than that? I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

We were in Tenerife on a TA cruise in April. We just got off the ship and strolled up the dock area until we found a cab driver who spoke fairly good English--not an easy task--and hired him for the day.

He took us along the east and north coast to Puerto Cruz. It was a beautiful drive; we stopped several places for photos of the coast line and volcano and made a short 'shopping' stop at a place that sold souvineers, had wine tasting, etc. It wasn't a hard sell at all; we browsed around, then walked around the picturesque town a little.

Then we went on to Puerto Cruz. Yes, it is a little touristy, but we had fun doing a little shopping and walking along the black sand beach and beachside attractions.

May I ask how much it cost to hire the cab??

We will be on the Splendour of the Seas in Nov. and one of the ports will be the Canary Islands. Would appreciate any info. from someone who has been there.

Thanks,

Cheryl and Ray

On a warm mountain ridge in WV

Thanksgiving on the Splendour

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<marquee width = 45%> Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03</marquee>

We were in Tenerife and Las Palmas in December 2007. I like to go on wine tastings so I drug my husband to the fourth one in 15 days in Tenerife. It was by far the best one I have ever been to. If I ever go back I'll do it again. We took the ship-sponsored tour. They put the bottles on the tables and you could have as much as you wanted of each of five or six different wines. They also had about 8 different plates of tapas to taste. After they thought you were finished they came out with bottles of sparking wine! Red wines go straight to my head if you know what I'm talking about but I did buy a bottle of red there. I've saved the bottle so I know what to buy if I ever get there again!

Las Palmas wasn't spectacular - we just walked around. It was very nice and clean but no restaurants/bars we went to would accept credit cards and we foolishly used all our Euros in Barcelona so didn't get to try any of their local foods. I will know better next time.

Enjoy!

May I ask how much it cost to hire the cab??

I think, for the two of us, it was about $70 and lasted 5-6 hours. We could have toured longer if we wanted. We also gave a good tip as the driver was very personable and ready to please.

We walked up the street away from the ship for a couple of blocks, pricing taxi tours; our biggest criteria was a driver who actually spoke understandable English; lots of them didn't.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Tenerife, Canary Islands in December of last year. We LOVED it! We had the best tour guide EVER! She took us to the best lunch place too! If you want her name, let me know. I will be happy to get it for you!! Many people on our ship LOVED the shopping! The walk out of the Pier area is pretty far if your ship is the last one there. Let me know, mardi berry

We would also appreciate the guide name and contact info

Our e-mail is deangayle@rogers.com

Thanks

Please e-mail me this tour guide's name and contact info. Thanks, Elsie

emholliday@cox.net

We would love to have an e-mail contact for your guide....

clvali@charter.net

Thanks,

clvali

We were in Tenerife, Canary Islands in December of last year. We LOVED it! We had the best tour guide EVER! She took us to the best lunch place too! If you want her name, let me know. I will be happy to get it for you!! , mardi berry

Please e-mail the contact information for the Tenerife guide to me at dolittle@the-beach.net . We are going there on Eclipse towards the end of October.

Thanks

Anthony :)

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody ever rent a car in Tenerife? Costs?

Yes, we rented an Opel Astra 5 doors for €45.50 for the day, all inclusive (we only pay gas). Contact info is Carolina [Cicar] [info@cicar.com]. Web site is http://www.cicar.com/ If you need more info, send us an e-mail at deangayle@rogers.com and we will forward a copy of the confirmation e-mails

Just wanted to add my two cents (or Euros) in that we absolutely loved driving around Tenerife. And we also rented from CICAR. Driving through the National Park above the clouds was breathtaking. The trick with this island is getting out of town. We are talking about the worlds third highest volcano!

Hank

Just wanted to add my two cents (or Euros) in that we absolutely loved driving around Tenerife. And we also rented from CICAR. Driving through the National Park above the clouds was breathtaking. The trick with this island is getting out of town. We are talking about the worlds third highest volcano!

Hank

Hank

If you kept notes on your routing, would love to read them

Thanks

We do not have notes, but we do have our memory. I should add that we have our own Garmin GPS which was helpful (although some of the roads were not at the right place on the Garmin). We picked-up our car and immedately drove towards the National Park and Volcano. There is a main route that runs from Santa Cruz to the park (its designated TF24) or there is the alternative longer way of driving along the coast and then later cutting inland to the park (this depends on how much time you have and how you want to divide up your day). Once in the park there is primarily one route to the top (amazing) where you will be in good company with all the tour buses. There are a few rest stops up on the volcano (with a cafe) where you can catch your breath (literally). Where we deviated from most tours is that we decided to come back down from the volcano using the back (north route) (TF21) which takes you towards the town of La Orotavia, made our way over to the coast and then simply drove along the northern coast line (there are several towns) until we simply cut back across the island the main highway (TF 5) via San Cristobal back to the port. It was a wonderful day and we were pretty conservative and were back in town by 2:30. The GPS was helpful when we decided to explore some of the small north coast villages. Keep in mind that when you rent a car they will give you a decent road map and will even dispense advice on the best route. But, that volcano was simply amazing and for us, rivaled even Haleakala on Maui. As we said in the earlier post, those that found this island boring were those that simply stayed in town. I would also mention that our weather was really perfect. There was a cloud deck at about 7000 feet so as we worked our way up through the park we finally entered the clouds and then broke out above the clouds about 1000 feet further up...where the sky was crystal clear and the views amazing. The clouds below only covered part of the island (mostly like a rain forrest just over the park) so we could see forever. When we drove down the back road we went through several thousand feet of heavy fog (the clouds again) and then broke-out into the clear when we got down to perhaps 4000 feet where the entire north coast was in front of us in all its majesty. You must keep in mind that the highest point on the volcano is over 12,000 feet so its quite a trip. When we neared the top there were some hiking trails (its like the lunar landscape since not much can grow at this altitude) and we tried to take a walk. But at 11,000+ you quickly get exhausted. What fun. The next time we get back to Tenerife we will do exactly the same thing.

Hank

Sometimes the least planned ports end up being one of the most enjoyable and memorable stops. In Tenerife, we joined two other couples we met on the ship and took the train to San Cristobel de la Laguna. Train stop is walking distance from the ship's dock. As I recall, the cost of the return fare was very cheap, around 5Euros and train ride took only approx. half an hour or so. We enjoyed strolling through the town,having lunch at an outdoor cafe, browsing in the shops, and just taking in the architecture, scenery, etc.

Archived