Mobility scooters/rental/storing

bunchesofun

I searched the threads but despite the fact I know it has been discussed, I could not find anything useful.

We are booked on the Pride for an April 2017 cruise. Our friends are considering going, but the wife has Parkinson's and a bad knee and would do best with a mobility scooter of some kind.

Trying to decide if they should get one before hand and bring it (We are driving from Ohio) that way she could use it for boarding. Or alternately renting on in Baltimore. I've heard they do rentals.

Additionally I know that they have to fit in the room, i.e. through the doorway. What is the doorway width? We are in a 4K French Door Interior and they would probably get the same.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

We had rented a scooter from specialneedsatsea for my FIL and it worked out well. We used wheel chair service at port to get him on and off the ship. The scooter will be waiting at your room so you'll need the wheelchair service to get on and off. Had no issues with that service. The scooter did not fit in the room and had to stay in hallway. Now some will flame for this but, there was nothing we could do about it. Luckily we were very aft and it did not cause an obstruction in the hallway. I'm sorry I don't know the measurements of the 4j.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Cruzlover7

We have been using Scootaround Inc. for a very long time... Call Monique @ 1-888-441-7575 x 6224 and she should be able to help you. Mom rents an electric scooter and it is always in the cabin waiting for her. She will ask you a whole bunch of questions and help determine what size wheelchair or scooter is best for your friend and will fit in her cabin.

If your friend has a problem at the Port, there are wheelchairs there available for her to use to board the ship.

If you do decide to rent a scooter you will need a handicap room which is a bit larger and the door is also wider. Leaving a scooter in the hall/passage way is frowned upon and maybe forbidden. Call a Carnival representative and they can probably switch rooms for no additional cost. Call as soon as you can.

No you do not need a handicap room. The 4k are the same size as ov or balcony. We bring ours with, we take off the arms because it is easier. We park it right in front of the couch, backed in so as front wheel points out and there is still room to use the couch.

I searched the threads but despite the fact I know it has been discussed, I could not find anything useful.

We are booked on the Pride for an April 2017 cruise. Our friends are considering going, but the wife has Parkinson's and a bad knee and would do best with a mobility scooter of some kind.

Trying to decide if they should get one before hand and bring it (We are driving from Ohio) that way she could use it for boarding. Or alternately renting on in Baltimore. I've heard they do rentals.

Additionally I know that they have to fit in the room, i.e. through the doorway. What is the doorway width? We are in a 4K French Door Interior and they would probably get the same.

We were on the Pride in February; 4th time on the Pride and 3rd time with my mobility scooter. Same experience as a previous poster..... We were in an AFT Standard Balcony cabin on the Main Deck (a 4K) I think. We were the last cabin before the suites, plus there were no inside cabins across from our cabin, and a hallway next to our cabin, so it helped when getting the scooter into position to enter the cabin. DH removes the armrests, he enters the cabin, holds the door, and I drive right in. I then turn the scooter around and park it right in front of the sofa. If necessary, at night we plug the charger into the outlet near the mirror.

If your friend is thinking of using a scooter, she should practice on one first; get the feel of it, especially for her safety.

Also, the rental companies that can provide scooters, wheelchairs, etc. are:

Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea. There contact info is on Carnival website.

Here is other info:

Standard Cabins: These cabins have an entry doorway measuring approximately 22", an 8" lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4" lip into the shower stall and a 7" lip to the balcony (if applicable).

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

For some really good information, check out the disabled cruisers forum.

If she either buying or renting (I am an advocate of buying, but that's just my opinion), please make sure that the scooter is less than 21" in width. Otherwise, she will need a handicapped or modified cabin. BTW, it is really worth it to get at least a modified cabin. The doors will remain open and you don't have the stress of "will it fit or not".

Scooters CAN NOT be left in the hallways. This is a SOLAS regulation, not some arbitrary rule that Carnival made up. It is for everyone's safety.

As far as rentals, you have two options. She can rent from specialneedsatsea or carevacations, OR she can rent locally and transport it to the ship herself. It will cost less to rent locally, but then you have the added hassle of transporting it. If she were flying, I would recommend this. Since you are driving, you will have to decide if you have the appropriate space available to transport one (they normally will break down into pieces that can be stored in the trunk of a car, but they do take up a great deal of space).

Call the Special Needs department and work with them on this. They are extremely helpful.

Most of all, just do whatever is necessary to make her cruise easier for her. It will make it easier for those cruising with her as well :)

Please do not think you can leave a scooter in the hallway. It is against regulations and a fire/safety hazard. One cruise we took had so many scooters in the hallway where our cabin was that I could not get my son's wheelchair down it. I had to report them to the front desk and they were subsequently removed.

We had rented a scooter from specialneedsatsea for my FIL and it worked out well. We used wheel chair service at port to get him on and off the ship. The scooter will be waiting at your room so you'll need the wheelchair service to get on and off. Had no issues with that service. The scooter did not fit in the room and had to stay in hallway. Now some will flame for this but, there was nothing we could do about it. Luckily we were very aft and it did not cause an obstruction in the hallway. I'm sorry I don't know the measurements of the 4j.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up about needing wheelchair service to board. That is very important information!

We have been using Scootaround Inc. for a very long time... Call Monique @ 1-888-441-7575 x 6224 and she should be able to help you. Mom rents an electric scooter and it is always in the cabin waiting for her. She will ask you a whole bunch of questions and help determine what size wheelchair or scooter is best for your friend and will fit in her cabin.

If your friend has a problem at the Port, there are wheelchairs there available for her to use to board the ship.

Thank you for the referral. I have copied and pasted info to my cruise file and will use it when the time comes.

No you do not need a handicap room. The 4k are the same size as ov or balcony. We bring ours with, we take off the arms because it is easier. We park it right in front of the couch, backed in so as front wheel points out and there is still room to use the couch.

Thanks for the tip about leaving the arms off!

We were on the Pride in February; 4th time on the Pride and 3rd time with my mobility scooter. Same experience as a previous poster..... We were in an AFT Standard Balcony cabin on the Main Deck (a 4K) I think. We were the last cabin before the suites, plus there were no inside cabins across from our cabin, and a hallway next to our cabin, so it helped when getting the scooter into position to enter the cabin. DH removes the armrests, he enters the cabin, holds the door, and I drive right in. I then turn the scooter around and park it right in front of the sofa. If necessary, at night we plug the charger into the outlet near the mirror.

If your friend is thinking of using a scooter, she should practice on one first; get the feel of it, especially for her safety.

Also, the rental companies that can provide scooters, wheelchairs, etc. are:

Care Vacations and Special Needs at Sea. There contact info is on Carnival website.

Here is other info:

Standard Cabins: These cabins have an entry doorway measuring approximately 22", an 8" lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4" lip into the shower stall and a 7" lip to the balcony (if applicable).

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter. Segways and other similar vehicles are not permitted on board our vessels.

Thanks for the info on the door sizes. For some reason I thought that they were 29" so good to know only 21". I tried looking for the info on the Carnival site, but it didn't come up.

For some really good information, check out the disabled cruisers forum.

If she either buying or renting (I am an advocate of buying, but that's just my opinion), please make sure that the scooter is less than 21" in width. Otherwise, she will need a handicapped or modified cabin. BTW, it is really worth it to get at least a modified cabin. The doors will remain open and you don't have the stress of "will it fit or not".

Scooters CAN NOT be left in the hallways. This is a SOLAS regulation, not some arbitrary rule that Carnival made up. It is for everyone's safety.

As far as rentals, you have two options. She can rent from specialneedsatsea or carevacations, OR she can rent locally and transport it to the ship herself. It will cost less to rent locally, but then you have the added hassle of transporting it. If she were flying, I would recommend this. Since you are driving, you will have to decide if you have the appropriate space available to transport one (they normally will break down into pieces that can be stored in the trunk of a car, but they do take up a great deal of space).

Call the Special Needs department and work with them on this. They are extremely helpful.

Most of all, just do whatever is necessary to make her cruise easier for her. It will make it easier for those cruising with her as well :)

We knew that they had to fit IN the cabin, so that's not news, but thanks for explaining WHY. We will probably pay for delivery just to make things easier. Yes, I want them to have a memorable trip. IT will be their first cruise. He has cancer (in remission) so twice as special for them. I was just remembering the long walk from one end of the ship to the other and thought that a scooter would make it more enjoyable for her. She's like a sister to me and I want her not to have to worry about getting around.

Please do not think you can leave a scooter in the hallway. It is against regulations and a fire/safety hazard. One cruise we took had so many scooters in the hallway where our cabin was that I could not get my son's wheelchair down it. I had to report them to the front desk and they were subsequently removed.

I did mention in my original post that I knew they had to fit INTO the cabin, so not to worry, we would NOT be leaving it in the hallway. Heck, departure night is bad enough with just suitcases lining the hallway!

There are 3 modified accessible 4K cabins - 4205, 4202, and 4203. With Parkinson's and a bad knee, they may benefit from some of the other features of the accessible cabin like the roll in shower with seat and grab bars, the raised toilet and the grab bars. Along with no step into the bathroom itself. Plus, the cabin itself has an automatic door (you put your key in and the door swings open for you).

Edited by meatloafsfan

• 1 year later...

Hello Bunchesofun !

You can carry or rent mobility scooters which are easily foldable as it would help in accessible through cabins. It will be also better for compact portability. It will perfect for traveling and can be used both indoors and outdoors. Ensure that it should be light weighted.

Have a happy trip !:)

Edited by REGoebel