Norwegian Joy to feature a Racetrack!

Topo Gigio

We have a branch office in Shanghai that I have visited a number of times. Driving there is different.

Picture a divided highway. 3 lanes in each direction. Driving along and all of a sudden a chain link fence is blocking all of the lanes in your direction. No warning signs, no detour, just the fence. So what do you do? Simple, just make a u-turn and drive back the way you came. Yes, you will be going the wrong way against traffic. Get to the nearest exit and make another u-turn to get off.

That was just one of a number of "interesting" experiences while in a car in China. When I asked our Shanghai manager why people drove so badly, she explained "We haven't been doing it that long."

Good thing they'll be contained on the ship.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of space? I have two young boys, but I can see them getting bored of this very quickly, and it burns off zero energy...unlike the stairs you climb over and over to get to the water slides. Considering the space required on the ship, it's low entertainment value for a lot of space. JMHO and I'll probably get roasted for it ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste of space? I have two young boys' date=' but I can see them getting bored of this very quickly ... low entertainment value for a lot of space. JMHO and I'll probably get roasted for it ;)[/quote']

Not at all, DW & my reactions alike ... say what. If it's free, the line would go around the deck and if there's a surcharge, it can add up quickly even they don't get bored. Not to mention maintenance.

Roller skating ring, rope course, rock climbing, maybe even full-sized virtual simulations of roller coaster rides or river rapids, Maybe their Feng Shui consultants knew something the rest of us don't, LOL.

That's a major deviation from the most recent builds.

The demographics of China's aging population is different than those of the Western culture, as you might know, and in a few more years - the changes in getting rid of the official one-child per household policy will be felt & seen ... I hope they are planning for some oversized family staterooms (with more square footage) in different categories that will fit 5 or 6 vs. connecting ones with the door in between.

Bumper cars? Grassy area? Looks like NCL is taking pages from RCCL and 'X's books...

What I really like about the new layout is less cabins and apparently more public space, albeit in two exclusive area's.

I am especially jealous of what are otherwise known as 'Spinnaker' observations lounges in the older NCL ships...would love to see them at least restore that to all future NCL newbuilds....

I'm guessing most of these new venues will come with a fee.

In general cruises out of China fir chinese people are sborter than American/European/aussie cruises. So for everyone to get a chance to try these features I'm thinking they will cost.

Just as Royal have done with Quantum. Things in asia cost, rest of the world - free.

I associate racetrack with horse racing, and couldn't believe NCL was going to these lengths to attract Asian gamblers!

That was my initial reaction without reading the details too ... say, what - dog racing like in Macau. Then, oops - misleading in a way.

Well, with interactive TV systems onboard, they can add cyber slot machines in every stateroom & guests can play online in the privacy & comfort of their own cabins ... interesting, no ?? Quick & easy and surely good for revenue ... I'll take partial credit if NCL adopt this idea :D ... best to not give them more ideas on boosting revenue.

Edited by mking8288