Beverage Package.

bjcruiser

We booked with the first 2 get the booze pkg for free. There is no service/tip charge on our bill. But now when we want to purchase for the others on our trip the service charge is there.

I was thinking that since it was not charged to the free ones at time of booking should we be getting charged for the other ones now? I'm just not familiar with how it is supposed to work.

Thank you

Bobbie

Did you book a long time ago? We booked over a year out and got the UBP with no gratuities...but as everyone has said now it is added when you book.

The question was regarding PURCHASING the UBP. In that case, gratuities always have been added to the purchase price.

Did you book a long time ago? We booked over a year out and got the UBP with no gratuities...but as everyone has said now it is added when you book.

Ditto.

I booked long time ago and did not pay the grat. on top of the UBP and UDP :)

Ditto.

I booked long time ago and did not pay the grat. on top of the UBP and UDP :)

That's because you didn't purchase them - you received it as a promo. For the umpteenth time, gratuities have always been charged on the purchase price of the UBP ever since NCL first introduced it.

The question was regarding PURCHASING the UBP. In that case, gratuities always have been added to the purchase price.

The OP said they received theirs for free and no gratuity.

Yes she was asking about purchasing 2 more and would she be charged.

That is OP's statement.

So no need for you to scream!

The OP said they received theirs for free and no gratuity.

Yes she was asking about purchasing 2 more and would she be charged.

That is OP's statement.

So no need for you to scream!

Not screaming, just trying to highlight the word that people in this thread seem to want to ignore as they try to confuse the simple answer to a simple question. It really grates my last nerve to see people give bad info.

Not screaming, just trying to highlight the word that people in this thread seem to want to ignore as they try to confuse the simple answer to a simple question. It really grates my last nerve to see people give bad info.

Is there a difference between purchasing or receiving "free promo's"?

I received the "free promo's" when the choose 2 was available and 18% gratuity was charged.

I received the "free promo's" when the choose 2 was available and 18% gratuity was charged.

At one time, those receiving the free promos did not have to pay the gratuities. That changed roughly May or June of last year. Unfortunately I did not book in April/May and waited until June because there was a really bad offer in between. So I have to pay the gratuities for our promo UBP.

Yes. If you receive the UBP as a promo, you pay just the gratuity on the price of the package. (Although, as some have pointed out, the gratuity used to be included with the promo, but that is completely irrelevant to the OP's question.) If you purchase the UBP package, you pay for the package and the gratuity. The current price is $79/day plus 18% gratuity, or $652.54 per person for a 7 night cruise.

Edited by LrgPizza

That's because you didn't purchase them - you received it as a promo. For the umpteenth time, gratuities have always been charged on the purchase price of the UBP ever since NCL first introduced it.

I really did not mean to bug people. I am new to the beverage pkg. When we booked no servce charge showed up for the free pkg. But when trying to price out another cruise for the hubby and I the free beverage pkg show up with the gratuities as an extra charge...this does not show on our cruise for Febuary 2017 which we booked about a year and a half ago. I was just asking to see if the gratuity charge should be getting added to the ones we are buying for the additional guests since there was no charge at the time of booking. Like I said I am new to the beverage pkg. sorry for asking for the umpteenth time.

Bobbie

Bobbie

I really did not mean to bug people. I am new to the beverage pkg.

Like I said I am new to the beverage pkg. sorry for asking for the umpteenth time.

The "umpteenth" comment clearly wasn't directed to you but to other members "helping" with completely irrelevant information.

Just think that you only got the first two replies - as those are all you need - and then this thread died. ;)

I really did not mean to bug people. I am new to the beverage pkg. When we booked no servce charge showed up for the free pkg. But when trying to price out another cruise for the hubby and I the free beverage pkg show up with the gratuities as an extra charge...this does not show on our cruise for Febuary 2017 which we booked about a year and a half ago. I was just asking to see if the gratuity charge should be getting added to the ones we are buying for the additional guests since there was no charge at the time of booking. Like I said I am new to the beverage pkg. sorry for asking for the umpteenth time.

Bobbie

Bobbie

Bobbie...no reason to be sorry. There is much confusion regarding the UBP program and there are some posters that have a clearer vision as to what has transpired in the past than other posters and sometimes wrong information gets spewed on the boards and it can be irritating to some. :) Since the time you booked your cruise, there has been the inclusion of the gratuity charge that came into effect last Spring and then there was the recent increase in the purchase price of the program if you were to purchase it.

I am inferring that the additional guests are staying in your cabin because if they had their own cabin, they could have chosen the UBP as their perk. Watch the boards to make sure that there is not another price increase in the program between now and next February because you would obviously want to pre-purchase the program to save some money. And if you have the SDP as a second perk, make sure you make your reservations at the 90 day mark. You could be shut out of prime time choices if you wait until you board.

Edited by SNJCruisers

You could be shut out of prime time choices if you wait until you board.

That is absolutely not true. Only a fraction (maybe a third) of the tables are available for prebookings online, rest are available for booking onboard and they always reserve some tables for walk-ins (because of Freestyle).

At one time, those receiving the free promos did not have to pay the gratuities. That changed roughly May or June of last year. Unfortunately I did not book in April/May and waited until June because there was a really bad offer in between. So I have to pay the gratuities for our promo UBP.

Exactly :) We booked in March 2015 and did not have to pay it.

That is absolutely not true. Only a fraction (maybe a third) of the tables are available for prebookings online, rest are available for booking onboard and they always reserve some tables for walk-ins (because of Freestyle).

We never had a reservation at all and our group got seated in the MDR and a couple specialty reservations. We didn't understand the hubbub on cc about getting reservations. The person at Savor told us exactly what you said.

Bobbie

Bobbie

Looks like you booked before NCL started charging 18% gratuity. Savings for you. If you purchase now the 18% will be added, so extra expense.

When booking any new cruise now NCL is adding the gratuity on.

You have it figured out correctly now. LOL

I am inferring that the additional guests are staying in your cabin because if they had their own cabin, they could have chosen the UBP as their perk.

This may be worth clarifying, because the OP never said either way. If they are in the same cabin, and they have all been listed on the booking from the start, then the additional guests should already have the soda package as part of the Freestyle Choice promo of early 2015. But if they want the UBP, they have to purchase it at the current price, with the current service charge.

If they are in a different cabin, and for some reason did not choose the UBP when they booked (for example, if their cabin category did not qualify for this perk at the time), they should consider rebooking now instead of purchasing the UBP, if the cruise itself hasn't gone up in price.

But in every case, no matter how these additional guests end up acquiring the UBP, they will have to pay the 18% service charge on the current price of the package ($14.22 per person per day). The fact that the OP did not have to pay any gratuities/service charge a year and a half ago is of no consequence; this benefit does not carry over to everyone else in the travel group today.

What I don't understand here, is that the OP is stating that if the other 2 PAX purchase the UBP they will also then be charged the 18% gratuity on their promo package that did not require it when they booked. To me that doesn't make sense.

Edited by darrengs

Wasn't talking about MDR reservations, was talking about those who have the SDP and have 4 nights out of 7 to be utilized at specialty restaurants. I said that you "could be shut out", not that you will be shut out.

In late 2015 bookings on the Escape, you got to choose 2 different perks no matter which type of accommodations you had. This is still true for balconies and above. Because of the higher percentage of people having the SDP, sometimes people have been shut out completely getting a reservation for certain specialty locations. This has been reported on the boards repeatedly. It is better to be forewarned and have your reservation reserved before you disembark then have your heart set on a certain restaurant and drag your feet and assume it will be no problem obtaining a reservation. The Allure and Oasis changed how things operate on the new mega ships and the Escape is just following suit.

What I don't understand here, is that the OP is stating that if the other 2 PAX purchase the UBP they will also then be charged the 18% gratuity on their promo package that did not require it when they booked. To me that doesn't make sense.
It doesn't sound to me like they were saying that the charge was being added retroactively for the original two passengers, only for the additional guests for whom the OP now wants to purchase the UBP. This is normal and expected. But hopefully the OP will come back and clarify if there are misunderstandings.

In the meantime let's keep discussing the dining package and how restaurant reservations work :rolleyes: