12 year old on Allure/Oasis

We will be sailing on the Allure this summer and my 12 year old would like to be grouped with the 9-11 year old adventure ocean group to be with his brother. He is a well behaved and smart boy but rather sheltered so participating in the teen group would not be a good fit for him. Although AO is strict about ages I've heard of many families being successful at being able to age their kids DOWN (never up) a group. But, I know the ship is big and the summer is prime time for sailing with kids so it may be harder to get an exception. Anyone had any luck with this on a bigger ship in the summer?

I have never had a problem with AO staff moving kids near the transition age up or down. This is especially true if there is a sibling or friend involved. Plus depending on how you feel, you can allow the boys to sign themselves in and out of AO as they please. Most kids I know that cruise any at all are about done with AO around 10 years old, it becomes very repetitive. Its a great program for the young kids, but you can only take the ship so much as a pirate before it becomes old. What my 11 yo daughter does love is the late night pj/movie parties (of course those cost). Otherwise, she has no desire to go to AO anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
We will be sailing on the Allure this summer and my 12 year old would like to be grouped with the 9-11 year old adventure ocean group to be with his brother. He is a well behaved and smart boy but rather sheltered so participating in the teen group would not be a good fit for him. Although AO is strict about ages I've heard of many families being successful at being able to age their kids DOWN (never up) a group. But, I know the ship is big and the summer is prime time for sailing with kids so it may be harder to get an exception. Anyone had any luck with this on a bigger ship in the summer?

My youngest has been able to age up twice. Once 6 weeks shy of three and this time 1 month shy of 6. She told me it depends mainly on the number of kids in the age groups on board AND how close they are to the age groups

That said, there was two kids that aged down to explorers on our ship in addition to my daughter who aged up.

I would agree...easier to get them to age down than up in most cases