What's with the Grandeur out of Baltimore for 2017

What is up with the Grandeur out of Baltimore for 2017? I know it is going in for dry dock in April or May 2017, but there are no cruises scheduled for the rest of the year. Is the Grandeur leaving Baltimore and why? Is there another ship coming in it's place?

I know, too many questions, but I would appreciate some answers, if anybody knows anything. I think our cruising days are numbered if Royal leaves Baltimore. Will not pay the prices of the Anthem in NJ. And we don't like to fly to Florida either. I guess we will be stuck with cruising Carnival from Baltimore or not cruising at all. Will be a tough decision. And one I am not looking forward to making. :(

Gwen :)

What is up with the Grandeur out of Baltimore for 2017? I know it is going in for dry dock in April or May 2017, but there are no cruises scheduled for the rest of the year. Is the Grandeur leaving Baltimore and why? Is there another ship coming in it's place?

I know, too many questions, but I would appreciate some answers, if anybody knows anything. I think our cruising days are numbered if Royal leaves Baltimore. Will not pay the prices of the Anthem in NJ. And we don't like to fly to Florida either. I guess we will be stuck with cruising Carnival from Baltimore or not cruising at all. Will be a tough decision. And one I am not looking forward to making. :(

Royal is scheduled to release more cruise itineraries for the Northeast sometime next week.

Royal is scheduled to release more cruise itineraries for the Northeast sometime next week.

Thanks Bob. I heard a rumor that the Grandeur was leaving Baltimore, so I thought I would come and ask the experts......

I'll check back with RCCL next week and see what happens.

Thanks Bob. I heard a rumor that the Grandeur was leaving Baltimore, so I thought I would come and ask the experts......

Have not heard that particular rumor yet.

Until they complete scrubber installations on more vessels, I don't think Grandeur is going anywhere.

RCCL does very well with the Baltimore cruises.

IF Grandeur was to leave Baltimore, it would be replaced by another ship of the same class, OR better. Thinking, could there be a Radiance class ship available to fill in at Baltimore while GR is in dry dock? Can't leave that vacancy for CCL. Would be a good trial to sea how that class would work in Baltimore. All of those Baltimore cruisers would love to sea a step up in the class of ships.

And, yes. Radiance class ships can fit under the two bridges.

Rick and Deirdra

RCCL does very well with the Baltimore cruises.

IF Grandeur was to leave Baltimore, it would be replaced by another ship of the same class, OR better. Thinking, could there be a Radiance class ship available to fill in at Baltimore while GR is in dry dock? Can't leave that vacancy for CCL. Would be a good trial to sea how that class would work in Baltimore. All of those Baltimore cruisers would love to sea a step up in the class of ships.

And, yes. Radiance class ships can fit under the two bridges.

Rick and Deirdra

When is the Grandeur dry dock Rick?

Last cruise scheduled is April 17, 2017. Nothing listed after that.

That may just be the end of last year's itineraries. We will know more when the new itineraries come out.

Last year bookings for 2017 winter did not open until April 23.

I really hope and seriously doubt that this is the case as there are very few ships small enough to go under the bridge here. I don't know what ship they would be able to put in her place to be honest.

Just trying to squelch the rumor (from a reliable source) that it would be going elsewhere after dry dock. That's why I came here, because we all know that everything on CC is true......:p:rolleyes:

Just got off the Grandeur March 12, and there was all kinds of talk about what Baltimore will do about the cruise ships that are home ported there. This rumor is just more recent than at that time. Time will tell. Can't wait until the new bookings come out and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

I am new to all of this, but I do hope that Grandeur doesn't leave Baltimore without being replaced by something interesting. Honestly, I would probably not be trying cruising if I didn't find a great price on a ship that I feel comfortable with that is also really convenient for me. I considered going to Bermuda by air/hotel but this was a better price and a good way to control the high costs in that country.

I thought about Carnival but it is just not really my style to be honest. I looked at a lot of photos and reviews and I felt way more comfortable with the Grandeur, personally. Given that I was curious about trying the cruising experience, everything lined up and I am now really excited and I think it's a good fit for me. I would be disappointed if it were to leave Baltimore.

I am also close to good airports and I am open to lots of kinds of travel. I would probably not go out of my way to cruise if there weren't a good convenient option nearby. Never say never, because I might try cruising out of NJ but I wouldn't say it's something I would particularly seek out doing. I'd rather go out of Baltimore or maybe Boston unless I were wanting an itinerary that is not Northeast US-based. I could also easily be tempted to choose a different type of vacation though if cruising were too inconvenient.

• 2 weeks later...
Itineraries for Grandeur after April 2017 have been released.

We booked another 12 nighter for December. :D

Yep, was happy to see that....so much for reliable sources that said it was leaving Baltimore. Booking the December cruise today.

Gwen [emoji3]

Was anyone else disappointed to see the 9-night Bermuda / Bahamas itinerary? Arrive Bermuda Saturday afternoon, and leave Sunday afternoon. One day at Nassau, and one at Cocoa Cay.

:(