Dissapointed with RCI

See, I could understand cancelling a cruise over a port stop one doesn't consider safe. But why cancel three upcoming cruises - which presumably don't all three stop in Belgium - because a cruise line won't change the ports of the first cruise because you want them to (inconveniencing thousands of other passengers, the cruise line, the port and who knows whom else).

OP could have cancelled the cruise with the stop in Belgium and still have gone on the other (assuming those do not also stop in Belgium or probably Europe in general). OP could have stayed on the ship in Belgium. It's okay if he doesn't feel safe in Belgium (though I'd consider it as safe as every other country but of course he is free not to). It took me thirteen years to to find the confidence to fly to the USA again, after trying to fly into Detroit on 9/11 and stranding in Toronto. It's okay not to do something you worry about.

But if he thinks he can find a cruise line that does not stop at any port which is not safe for tourists (so not France, not Belgium, not Turkey, not the UK, not the US, not Tunesia, not Israel, not Bali, not St. Kitts, not St Lucia, not Mexiko, not Belize... when considering your personal safety, you cannot just look at the possibility of terrorist attacks, there is a travel warning for Mexiko, cruise ship passengers have been robbed in Caribbean ports) good for him. Even better for him if he can find a cruise line that changes their itinerary because he thinks they should.

In defense of the OP cancelling this cruise, I think it's next week. As for the others, I agree with you.

See, I could understand cancelling a cruise over a port stop one doesn't consider safe. But why cancel three upcoming cruises - which presumably don't all three stop in Belgium - because a cruise line won't change the ports of the first cruise because you want them to (inconveniencing thousands of other passengers, the cruise line, the port and who knows whom else).

OP could have cancelled the cruise with the stop in Belgium and still have gone on the other (assuming those do not also stop in Belgium or probably Europe in general). OP could have stayed on the ship in Belgium. It's okay if he doesn't feel safe in Belgium (though I'd consider it as safe as every other country but of course he is free not to). It took me thirteen years to to find the confidence to fly to the USA again, after trying to fly into Detroit on 9/11 and stranding in Toronto. It's okay not to do something you worry about.

But if he thinks he can find a cruise line that does not stop at any port which is not safe for tourists (so not France, not Belgium, not Turkey, not the UK, not the US, not Tunesia, not Israel, not Bali, not St. Kitts, not St Lucia, not Mexiko, not Belize... when considering your personal safety, you cannot just look at the possibility of terrorist attacks, there is a travel warning for Mexiko, cruise ship passengers have been robbed in Caribbean ports) good for him. Even better for him if he can find a cruise line that changes their itinerary because he thinks they should.

Well said. My first thought was "just stay on the ship!"It has nothing to do with trivializing safety and everything to do with just being rational. The OP's post reads like he just got panicky and decided to act on it. Yep, we all have our fears and concerns. And sometimes our fears and concerns are downright silly/unfounded/unnecessary and we need to be told that.

I believe the OP's cruise is next week. It was the only one I could find with a Brussels stop.

What´s the matter when the cruise is?

If the OP is that concerned about his safety it shouldn´t matter if he loses the cruise and the Money paid for it.

Afterall in the OP´s mind he´s gambling his life off going on this cruise and visiting this port. Shouldn´t the view of losing his life be more important than losing some bucks?

Well as the OP is still going the concerns can´t be too big. Why should RCI lose Money while the OP is not willing to do the same?

It's definitely a minority.

I get it. OP *DOES* have some legitimate concerns over personal safety. And they are likely caught between a rock and a hard place regarding sunk costs. So they are here on a forum to vent their frustration and maybe look for others to understand them or find some words of encouragement. Instead they are getting all the ones that crawl out of the wood work with insincere, dismissive, and rude comments; and worse, those that defend that sort of crap.

It's really no wonder that even cruise lines hate this place and won't post here anymore. Look at the audience...

I totally get OP's concern, even if I don't share it. They have every right to voice their concern here as well.

Sadly, there's probably no really safe place in the world any more. It seems like anywhere in any city could be the next target.

It might be nice if the cruise line had some sort of policy that allowed people to cancel cruises if this kind of concern exists.

I also agree with you that there is no reason to be rude to someone just because they are voicing a concern. I think it would be better not to comment than to post a rude remark. Just my opinion... of course.

Tom

I get it. OP *DOES* have some legitimate concerns over personal safety. And they are likely caught between a rock and a hard place regarding sunk costs. So they are here on a forum to vent their frustration and maybe look for others to understand them or find some words of encouragement. Instead they are getting all the ones that crawl out of the wood work with insincere, dismissive, and rude comments; and worse, those that defend that sort of crap.

It's really no wonder that even cruise lines hate this place and won't post here anymore. Look at the audience...

My post was stating my own opinions about safety when I travel. I don't go anywhere that there's a grave chance of injury or death, but I will go where there have been problems such as terrorism. I weigh the chances of a repeat bombing or massacre, and have so far decided that the police and military will be present in the tourist areas and extremely vigilant.

I think the reason the response to OP that was a little strong was because most of us would not cancel 3 booked cruises because we don't agree with the cruiseline's policies.

I E-mailed RCI expressing my concern about the Ovation of the Seas stopping at a port in Belgium and their answer was that their ships are safe. I do understand that their ships are safe but the port is not safe. P&O skipped the port on the Britannia due to safety concerns, Not long ago RCI sailed the Anthem of the Seas into basically a hurricane without any concerns about the safety of their passengers. I have been sailing RCI since 1988 and reached a Diamond plus level but after this I have cancelled three more cruises that I had booked with them and will seek cruises in another cruise line.

Don't go then and stay home.....that way you won't feel the need to complain. There...problem solved!

I work in London, have just come back from New York, going to Brussels on a day trip next month and going to Paris on Navigator in May! I'm not letting these people win, only places I with not go now is Muslim countries, really wanted to try Tunisia and Turkey but I won't now. If the OP is going to worry that much it's their right to cancel, holiday should be exciting!

I don't think terrorist should rule my life and travel I lived in omagh survived the largest bomb at the height of the Northern Ireland troubles have visited London pre and post 7/7 and New York and I've also been to Paris and Belgium if I was to start thinking about what could happen I'd be chewing a lot of Valium and never go anywhere

I work in London, have just come back from New York, going to Brussels on a day trip next month and going to Paris on Navigator in May! I'm not letting these people win, only places I with not go now is Muslim countries, really wanted to try Tunisia and Turkey but I won't now. If the OP is going to worry that much it's their right to cancel, holiday should be exciting!

Good for u [emoji106]enjoy

I totally get OP's concern, even if I don't share it. They have every right to voice their concern here as well.

Sadly, there's probably no really safe place in the world any more. It seems like anywhere in any city could be the next target.

It might be nice if the cruise line had some sort of policy that allowed people to cancel cruises if this kind of concern exists.

I also agree with you that there is no reason to be rude to someone just because they are voicing a concern. I think it would be better not to comment than to post a rude remark. Just my opinion... of course.

Tom

We purchase cruise insurance and can cancel for any reason, any time with. 70 percent credit toward a future cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

I E-mailed RCI expressing my concern about the Ovation of the Seas stopping at a port in Belgium and their answer was that their ships are safe. I do understand that their ships are safe but the port is not safe. P&O skipped the port on the Britannia due to safety concerns, Not long ago RCI sailed the Anthem of the Seas into basically a hurricane without any concerns about the safety of their passengers. I have been sailing RCI since 1988 and reached a Diamond plus level but after this I have cancelled three more cruises that I had booked with them and will seek cruises in another cruise line.

Which port in Belgium was unsafe and why? You do know you have the right to not get off the ship at any port.

Did you take a poll of the people on the ship and see if the majority wanted to skip a port and just drift in the ocean?

My son survived Sandy Hook. Bad stuff can happen anytime and anywhere. Don't let fear grip you. Life is too short. He's going on his first cruise in a little over a week.

I am so happy your son survived. Like you said life is to short. Hope he has the best time of his life.

I E-mailed RCI expressing my concern about the Ovation of the Seas stopping at a port in Belgium and their answer was that their ships are safe. I do understand that their ships are safe but the port is not safe. P&O skipped the port on the Britannia due to safety concerns, Not long ago RCI sailed the Anthem of the Seas into basically a hurricane without any concerns about the safety of their passengers. I have been sailing RCI since 1988 and reached a Diamond plus level but after this I have cancelled three more cruises that I had booked with them and will seek cruises in another cruise line.[/quote

After you told them to cancel and also you were Diamond Plus they said the

port was Safe! How dare they! I agree with you! I would cancel too!

I live in Belgium and it is safe here. Nothing to worry about. We go out to town, go shopping, do everything we want without feeling unsafe. Why would it be more unsafe here then anywhere else. We still went to America after 9/11, we still go to Paris and London after the attacks there.

Tom

I disagree on this one.

Why should a cruiseline have this Kind of policy? Where would it start and where would it end?

People would use this as an excuse to cancel for any reason without insurance.

If a cruiseline had this Kind of policy someone would have to pay for this and we all know who this would be - all other cruisers. Sorry, I´m not willing to pay for someone cancelling for some sort of fear.

If someone is concerned about this, take out insurance for your trip, but not lay it on the cruiselines and thus all cruisers.

As I said it before, if the OP is that concerned it shouldn´t matter to him being past final payment and losing Money. He should stay home.

I just did:eek::eek::eek::eek:

o5vz3b.jpg

I think this is very well said

(and personally, I worry more about being shot by a random gun carrying person who is ticked off for whatever reason in a US port than I do about terrorists in Belgium --- if the cruise lines cancelled all ports that various passengers had safety concerns about, there would be nowhere left to cruise).