Deposit/Cancellation Clarification Please!

hlauburn

Looking at booking with the Early Saver reduced $49 deposit deal going on now. Wouldn't be sailing for almost a year, so just wanted to clarify the rules. This is the "fine print":

Deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee.

So even if you cancel before final payment, you basically you lose everything?

Looking at booking with the Early Saver reduced $49 deposit deal going on now. Wouldn't be sailing for almost a year, so just wanted to clarify the rules. This is the "fine print":

Deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee.

depends on your definition of 'lose'

you will lose $50.

you will have a credit for a future cruise (not to be used as the deposit) for the remaining balance

and

If you find a cheaper price and get the price match, you will lose the benefit of the lower deposit and have to pay the normal deposit rate immediately or they will cancel your cruise

The way it reads to me is you are assessed a $50 pp fee if you cancel before final payment. So if you only paid a $49 pp deposit, there is nothing to apply to a future cruise. :confused:

if that is all you paid, then you would be correct.

You will lose your deposit $49 because there a service fee of $50.

The way it reads to me is you are assessed a $50 pp fee if you cancel before final payment. So if you only paid a $49 pp deposit, there is nothing to apply to a future cruise. :confused:

Yes, there is nothing to apply to a future cruise. But, it's still a good deal. You pay far less now on your deposit. And if you do need to cancel, and let's say you don't take a future cruise for whatever reason, then you're not out any extra money. There's no worrying about using that future cruise credit before it expires. If you're okay with the restrictions & potential penalties with ES, then it's a great deal to go with, especially with the reduced deposits.

Looks like that promotion is gone (or a good April Fool joke).

Was looking at booking last night , this morning the price increased and the $49 deposit was gone.

Yep. :rolleyes: I called my TA and he pretty much talked me out of the reduced deposit anyway, but it was very tempting.

I didn't like the idea of booking a year out and the deposit being totally lost if we had to change/cancel, but I guess that's the risk you take for a small deposit.

depends on your definition of 'lose'

you will lose $50.

you will have a credit for a future cruise (not to be used as the deposit) for the remaining balance

and

If you find a cheaper price and get the price match, you will lose the benefit of the lower deposit and have to pay the normal deposit rate immediately or they will cancel your cruise

I agree with this completely. We just cancelled a cruise and lost $50 per person, but Carnival applied the rest of the deposit towards a future cruise.

I am glad for this info, too. I have a cruise booked for Feb and was planning on waiting til close to the final payment due date to decide for sure to take it. I don't mind losing the deposit but it's nice to know they will credit it if I pay the penalty.

I am glad for this info, too. I have a cruise booked for Feb and was planning on waiting til close to the final payment due date to decide for sure to take it. I don't mind losing the deposit but it's nice to know they will credit it if I pay the penalty.

They will only credit anything above and beyond the penalty. So if your deposit is $250, you lose $50 and the $200 will be held for a future cruise. But it cannot be used for the next deposit.

If your deposit is $49 and the penalty is $50, then there is no future credit. It is all forfeited.