Trying to find Alaska Packing List to print

torybruno

I know there must be a list on here somewhere that I can just print off, but I can't seem to find one in my searches. We're going on a 5 day land trip before our cruise.

Can someone please help!

thank you :)

Not everyone's list will (or should be!) the same. You can look at the lists posted above, but don't feel that you need to follow them exactly. Take what works for you.

I looked at the packing list for women on the site that jimsig posted, and had to laugh. I have never taken a curling iron, hair gel, shower cap, hair spray, perfume, or many of the other things listed. :rolleyes:

Can't help you specifically on the land portion, and I'm also doing this from memory, but for a guy:

Boarded the ship wearing jeans, polo, sneakers, belt, and a "light" jacket (what I wear in Seattle down to about 45 degrees).

Packed:

(enough) undies +2

4 undershirts

3 white handkerchiefs

4 colorful handkerchiefs

2pr "good" jeans

1pr "yardwork" jeans

4pr black/dress socks

4pr white socks

4 t-shirts

1pr pajama pants

3 polos

2 dress shirts

1pr "Dockers"

1pr dressy pants

1 blazer

1 tie

1pr shoes good enough for dress-up

1 swimsuit

1pr hiking boots

1 warmer jacket (what I wear in Seattle for 30-45 degrees)

1 ski cap

1pr "glove liners" (good enough to keep my hands warm while flexible enough for me to pretend to be a National Geographic photographer)

4 snack bars (prepackaged)

All of the clothes comfortably fit into one suitcase, except the warmer jacket which is used to wrap a huge lens when it goes into a rolling duffel.

• 2 months later...

You didn't say when you are going to Alaska or what area your 5 day land trip might be covering: Therefore you may want to consider the following for your list.

A compact good quality flashlight for each of you

Gloves for sure, keep them in the pockets of your jacket

Full zipper polar fleece or similar style jacket to layer with

A warm hat, like a ski cap something you can pull over your ears to keep warm

Binoculars for each of you

Waterproof hiking boots or good quality running shoe

We took rain pants did not need them for rain, sure helped with the wind . Great for being on deck near the glaciers, during our whale watch excursion private boat with 10 passengers, hiking on the Matunuska Glacier, & Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour out of Seward over 6 hours on deck taking photos. ( of course these rain pants are optional ) They can be found at any major sporting goods store like Pro Bass, Cabela's, Dick's, etc.

A small towel or cloth to keep camera equipment clean Be sure to use fresh water to clean equipment & dry quickly when near or on the ocean.

Pack as light as you can, if possible separate land trip items from your cruise essentials, so you are not working out of 2 cases all the time. Our combination bag for the cruise stayed in the trunk of the rental car, as we did not need it for our 7 day DIY land tour.

Hope this helps, John

You didn't say when you are going to Alaska or what area your 5 day land trip might be covering: Therefore you may want to consider the following for your list.

A compact good quality flashlight for each of you

Gloves for sure, keep them in the pockets of your jacket

Full zipper polar fleece or similar style jacket to layer with

A warm hat, like a ski cap something you can pull over your ears to keep warm

Binoculars for each of you

Waterproof hiking boots or good quality running shoe

We took rain pants did not need them for rain, sure helped with the wind . Great for being on deck near the glaciers, during our whale watch excursion private boat with 10 passengers, hiking on the Matunuska Glacier, & Kenai Peninsula Boat Tour out of Seward over 6 hours on deck taking photos. ( of course these rain pants are optional ) They can be found at any major sporting goods store like Pro Bass, Cabela's, Dick's, etc.

A small towel or cloth to keep camera equipment clean Be sure to use fresh water to clean equipment & dry quickly when near or on the ocean.

Pack as light as you can, if possible separate land trip items from your cruise essentials, so you are not working out of 2 cases all the time. Our combination bag for the cruise stayed in the trunk of the rental car, as we did not need it for our 7 day DIY land tour.

Hope this helps, John

Thank you for making this short & sweet!

U answered some question that literally popped in my head at the moment.

Some thoughts...

Instead of rain pants, consider a pair of convertible hiking pants you then treat with a DWR product such as Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In DWR.

Spudz microfiber cloths are great for cameras and tuck back into their own little clip-on pouch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NZC8H8W

I really wished I'd brought a flexible rubber screw in lens hood for my primary lens. There were a few occasions where I was shooting through a bus or train window and this sort of hood really helps reduce reflections.

Bring more memory cards for your camera than you think you'll need. We met a couple on the Tundra Wilderness Tour who'd filled their cards and were shooting with their cellphones.

Unless you're going off on some serious hiking, skip any heavy hiking boots. Trail running shoes are more than adequate. (I've backpacked through the Smokeys in mine)

Look at a running store for thin, lightweight gloves that'll block wind yet still allow you to operate all your camera buttons and dials and levers.

Clothespins can be real handy for closing up any gaps in your room/cabin curtains when it's bedtime.

A couple big envelopes or plastic bags to collect all the various papers and pamphlets you'll receive can be handy.

Consider bringing a supply of Airborne or Emergen-C Immune+ to help ward off the nasties from Bronchitis Betty and Phlegmmy Phil.

A small / light luggage scale is handy at the end for avoiding surprises at the airline check in counter... We watched a lady do the unpack / repack / weigh / repeat cycle at FAI.

Some thoughts...

Instead of rain pants, consider a pair of convertible hiking pants you then treat with a DWR product such as Nikwax TX.Direct Wash-In DWR.

Spudz microfiber cloths are great for cameras and tuck back into their own little clip-on pouch. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NZC8H8W

I really wished I'd brought a flexible rubber screw in lens hood for my primary lens. There were a few occasions where I was shooting through a bus or train window and this sort of hood really helps reduce reflections.

Bring more memory cards for your camera than you think you'll need. We met a couple on the Tundra Wilderness Tour who'd filled their cards and were shooting with their cellphones.

Unless you're going off on some serious hiking, skip any heavy hiking boots. Trail running shoes are more than adequate. (I've backpacked through the Smokeys in mine)

Look at a running store for thin, lightweight gloves that'll block wind yet still allow you to operate all your camera buttons and dials and levers.

Clothespins can be real handy for closing up any gaps in your room/cabin curtains when it's bedtime.

A couple big envelopes or plastic bags to collect all the various papers and pamphlets you'll receive can be handy.

Consider bringing a supply of Airborne or Emergen-C Immune+ to help ward off the nasties from Bronchitis Betty and Phlegmmy Phil.

A small / light luggage scale is handy at the end for avoiding surprises at the airline check in counter... We watched a lady do the unpack / repack / weigh / repeat cycle at FAI.

Thank u! you folks are great!

Some really excellent practical tips.

Will used this in trying to convince my group with the right verbiage to describe what & why about certain items vs. what they 'think' Alaska is like.

Edited by OV8

• 6 months later...

Someone posted a very interesting packing list on this forum several years ago. It was posted after the person had returned from their cruise. They divided their list into three sections. The first section listed items they packed and actually used, the second section was what they took but and didn't use, and the final section was a brief list of items they would have used had they packed them. I haven't tried the search function to try to locate it, but at the time I thought it was one of the most helpful packing lists I have read.