Princess Kids Club = Very So-So (review of four different kids clubs)

croozen

I would love any advice anybody has about the kid's clubs on Princess. I read here somewhere that it's a good idea to bring your kids the first day, as friendships are formed early. Does that mean the day you board? Do you need to tip the kid's club staff individually? (Ok not NEED to, but does it help if you do?)

I've never cruised before, nor has my six year old son. I want him to enjoy the kids club and make friends, as he's very into playing with other kids. Any tips are appreciated.

My 10 year old and 6 year old have been cruising since they were 6 months old, primarily on Princess. They both LOVE the kids clubs and I literally have to drag them out of there! I can only compare to Disney and Carnival - Disney they both HATED and refused to go after the first day. This was mainly because there was no routine/schedule. It was literally just a babysitting service and the age ranges were mixed together - meaning my 3 year old was in the same space with the same activities as 12 year olds. It just didn't work for my kids. Carnival was a lot of fun for them and was similar to Princess. Princess is very structured and you will get a list of all activities/times in the stateroom for the whole voyage. This lets the kids know ahead of time what is planned and whether they are interested in doing it. They can pick and choose to attend the activities they want to (though mine just go all the time!).

There will be a registration time when you first board - we always register online but usually pop in to the onboard registration just to make sure they have all the info correct. At that time, you and the kids can look around the clubs and get oriented (all other times, the area is off limit to adults unless you have a child under 3 that you are staying with). The first evening will have an intro time and that is when most kids get to meet and bond - my 10 year old usually comes back after the first night with new "best" friends so I definitely recommend the kids going to that.

I have never tipped staff at the start of the cruise but usually tip extra on the last evening just because the kid staff are usually amazing (we only had one cruise out of over 20 where there was an issue with a kids club staff member!) I don't think they would expect it at the beginning of the cruise but it is definitely appreciated as a thank you at the end if you think they gave great service!

My 10 year old and 6 year old have been cruising since they were 6 months old, primarily on Princess. They both LOVE the kids clubs and I literally have to drag them out of there! I can only compare to Disney and Carnival - Disney they both HATED and refused to go after the first day. This was mainly because there was no routine/schedule. It was literally just a babysitting service and the age ranges were mixed together - meaning my 3 year old was in the same space with the same activities as 12 year olds. It just didn't work for my kids. Carnival was a lot of fun for them and was similar to Princess. Princess is very structured and you will get a list of all activities/times in the stateroom for the whole voyage. This lets the kids know ahead of time what is planned and whether they are interested in doing it. They can pick and choose to attend the activities they want to (though mine just go all the time!).

There will be a registration time when you first board - we always register online but usually pop in to the onboard registration just to make sure they have all the info correct. At that time, you and the kids can look around the clubs and get oriented (all other times, the area is off limit to adults unless you have a child under 3 that you are staying with). The first evening will have an intro time and that is when most kids get to meet and bond - my 10 year old usually comes back after the first night with new "best" friends so I definitely recommend the kids going to that.

I have never tipped staff at the start of the cruise but usually tip extra on the last evening just because the kid staff are usually amazing (we only had one cruise out of over 20 where there was an issue with a kids club staff member!) I don't think they would expect it at the beginning of the cruise but it is definitely appreciated as a thank you at the end if you think they gave great service!

I SHOULD add that, having cruised with Princess for the past 10 years, I have definitely noticed standards slipping in the clubs. Little things that made them more special are no longer included - the talent show at the end of the cruise used to be a highlight for us and the kids but it is no longer offered. Others have mentioned that they have been permitted into the clubs - this used to be the case when we first started cruising (and certainly is still allowed if you have a child under 3 as they are not permitted to stay alone). However, in the past 5 years or so this is strictly frowned upon and you aren't even allowed past the main entrance at drop off or pick up. Not an issue for my kids, but I could see why this would be a problem for kids that might have a tougher time separating from parents.

I am really looking forward to our cruise on Star over Christmas as we will be experiencing the new and shiny kids clubs/camp discovery! I think I am more excited than my kids!

Others have mentioned that they have been permitted into the clubs - this used to be the case when we first started cruising (and certainly is still allowed if you have a child under 3 as they are not permitted to stay alone). However, in the past 5 years or so this is strictly frowned upon and you aren't even allowed past the main entrance at drop off or pick up.

Not on Princess. Two weeks ago on Regal both my DH and I walked in with our kiddo in the middle of the day and felt very welcome. Now, DS didn't stay (he never does), but still. And last year on Caribbean princess we actually stayed with the kiddo (he was 6), and other parents were also in the club with their kids. Most of us were playing computer games, and nobody ever told us to leave until it was time to close for lunch.

Not on Princess. Two weeks ago on Regal both my DH and I walked in with our kiddo in the middle of the day and felt very welcome. Now, DS didn't stay (he never does), but still. And last year on Caribbean princess we actually stayed with the kiddo (he was 6), and other parents were also in the club with their kids. Most of us were playing computer games, and nobody ever told us to leave until it was time to close for lunch.

Interesting...I haven't sailed on either of these ships but every Princess ship I have sailed on (Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond, Golden, Crown, Star, Emerald) have had the "No Adult" rule in place. Are the clubs maybe bigger on the two ships you mentioned and better equipped to deal with additional bodies in the rooms? The past year or so, we haven't even made it past the door as they set the sign in/out table in such a way that you CAN'T get in the area!

Are the clubs maybe bigger on the two ships you mentioned and better equipped to deal with additional bodies in the rooms?
I don't know, since Regal and Caribbean Princesses are the only ships we've been on.

What was hugely disappointing about Caribbean princess is that the jungle gym was in the room for 8-12 year olds, instead of the much younger crown that would enjoy it more.

I don't know, since Regal and Caribbean Princesses are the only ships we've been on.

What was hugely disappointing about Caribbean princess is that the jungle gym was in the room for 8-12 year olds, instead of the much younger crown that would enjoy it more.

That's odd about the jungle gym! It's always been in the younger kid area on the ships I've been on! My 10 year old would totally roll her eyes at the prospect of going on something so "uncool" LoL! ;p

I would love any advice anybody has about the kid's clubs on Princess. I read here somewhere that it's a good idea to bring your kids the first day, as friendships are formed early. Does that mean the day you board? Do you need to tip the kid's club staff individually? (Ok not NEED to, but does it help if you do?)

I've never cruised before, nor has my six year old son. I want him to enjoy the kids club and make friends, as he's very into playing with other kids. Any tips are appreciated.

On the Regal Princess my three grandchildren loved the Kids club.

They couldn't wait for the doors to open

38215834176_f11dd23559_z.jpgThree of the best_2263 by Howard , on

It is a good idea to visit the kids club as soon as you board and sign them up.

And yes the staff received tips. They take very good care of the children.

Howard