Recommendations for tours in Florence, Rome and Sorrento without much walking?

les37b

I'm actually asking this for another member who asked within our Roll call thread.

One of the party wont be able to do much if any walking, but doesnt want it to stop his wife (in the safety of the tour group) being able to walk with the others to some of the famous monuments and scenery within the above locations.

Looking at the various online tour companies, they will often say there will be lots of walking. The husband would be happy for his wife to go walking, but not able to join himself. So basically in this scenario, would this mean its not suitable? The cruise is in August, so obviously we can expect it to very hot - and possibly not a good idea for him to simply pass the time waiting in the car.

I know there are a few coach tours that involve no walking - and probably not even getting off the coach. This I think might be an option, but I think ideally they would like for her to be able to go inside the coliseum for example.

Previously they have waited until getting on the ship to get advise on whats on offer only to miss out on trips being fully booked! So hopefully we can get some sound advice to help them.

Any recommendations or options? I'm guessing even if its not something that affects you personally, you may have been on tours where this scenario has played out.

Anyway, hopefully we can get some suggestions that may help them. None of the tours in our Roll call would be any good that I can see.

I suspect as long as the tour driver could drop him off in a restaurant to watch the world go by, that very much could be an acceptable option. (I expect the drivers can be accommodating?)

Edited by les37b

In Sorrento you can do the tour of the Amalfi Coast. You can see a lot without walking. If traveling with others the person could stay back and just sit while the others walk the towns.

In Rome, you can book a highlights tours that does not have to involve any walking. Those who want to get out can stop for those photo shoot opportunities or to walk around for awhile.

I would do small private tours. Much easier to make everyone happy and the driver can do closer drop-offs and wait with the person at the vehicle.

Florence is a bit tricky. I think I would pick a tour that involve somewhere like Pisa where the person could walk outside for a little bit. Or some other place other then Florence but with a small tour one might be able to sit at some of the venues. But to me a bit trickier there plus it can be very crowded.

Keith

In Sorrento you can do the tour of the Amalfi Coast. You can see a lot without walking. If traveling with others the person could stay back and just sit while the others walk the towns.

In Rome, you can book a highlights tours that does not have to involve any walking. Those who want to get out can stop for those photo shoot opportunities or to walk around for awhile.

I would do small private tours. Much easier to make everyone happy and the driver can do closer drop-offs and wait with the person at the vehicle.

Florence is a bit tricky. I think I would pick a tour that involve somewhere like Pisa where the person could walk outside for a little bit. Or some other place other then Florence but with a small tour one might be able to sit at some of the venues. But to me a bit trickier there plus it can be very crowded.

Keith

Thanks Keith, I agree with the Amalfi bit completely and was going to be my suggestion. Though I just realised I said Sorrento (my one next week goes there) but the August one is Naples! No harm - its all the same. I know there are some in the roll call booked that is doing positano and sorrento.... but also Pompeii. I suspect that may work for them as I think she really wants to see these interesting sights, but obviously needs to be sure her husband also gets a fair trip too. He wont be able to walk Pompeii but would enjoy the rest and happy she gets to see somewhere interesting. But will there be somewhere he will be ok to sit with some shade? I'm sure there will be somewhere and the drivers will be more than happy to look out for his guests - but I'd never make those assumptions.

The Rome trip, I suspect that might be ideal. I've seen a few that cover this, but was under the impression they didnt get off the coach at all. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefully we can get some ideas of available tours for Florence and Pisa.

I've posted a link in our roll call pointing them to the thread, so hopefully she can post and specifics that might be necessary, though I think as long as they find some great trips where they can get too see some wonderful sights and both be looked after they will be happy.

Thanks again

We will be in Rome in October and we booked a 6hr golf cart tour that will take us around Rome except for the Vatican. We will travel down some narrow streets that some vehicles can't travel.

Stefano Constantini owns Stefano Rome Tours and Rome cabs

http://Www.romecab.com http://www.stefanorometours.com send him an email at either info@romecab.com or romecabs@yahoo.com. He can customize tours to your level. He can handle all over Italy. My family has used his companies for over a decade and can't recommend him enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions - I am the one inquiring about tours that will allow us to see the sights from a bus or van with stops where my husband can sit on the bus or on a bench while I go around and take pictures and see the things I enjoy.

We do this on most of our trips and it works well, but this seems to be a more physically challenging area as even the bus tours say "difficult with lots of walking". If those drop off and pick up at the same place, we can handle how much walking he can tolerate (and how far away I can get to look around and still find my way back) as long as walking isn't the primary part of the tour.

Ideally we look for a bus or van to drive us around and make periodic short stops where I can get out and explore and he can find a place to sit and wait for me.

Sue

Thanks for the suggestions - I am the one inquiring about tours that will allow us to see the sights from a bus or van with stops where my husband can sit on the bus or on a bench while I go around and take pictures and see the things I enjoy.

We do this on most of our trips and it works well, but this seems to be a more physically challenging area as even the bus tours say "difficult with lots of walking". If those drop off and pick up at the same place, we can handle how much walking he can tolerate (and how far away I can get to look around and still find my way back) as long as walking isn't the primary part of the tour.

Ideally we look for a bus or van to drive us around and make periodic short stops where I can get out and explore and he can find a place to sit and wait for me.

Sue

We are two older ladies with mobility issues. Rome was our biggest challenge, as there just weren't many places to sit at all. We did purchase a HO HO bus ticket and rode around the city. Buses do a lot of sitting in traffic and don't really get you right to the site (Trevi, Colloseum, etc). So there was still a LOT of walking involved.

In Naples, we had planned to do the ferry to Sorrento and Circumvesuviana train back to Naples. Plans didn't work out as our ship was docked at the opposite end of the port and we couldn't walk to the ferry pier and the taxis didn't want such a short fare. We ended up hiring a taxi (the driver was very persistent). It was expensive at 100 EUR pp but it was the best day of our 21 day trip. He drove us where we wanted to go, waited for us at Pompeii, and was so worried about two older ladies travelling alone in Italy.

Then we joined another couple from our Roll Call for a taxi in Athens and paid 50 EUR pp for an all day tour.

We did do a number of ship excursions that said EASY.

Only you know your husbands limitations, but I would think the private tours would work best as the driver would know where your husband could wait for you. They are expensive, but worth every penny if you really want to see and explore. Roll call would be a good place to start and try to schedule with another couple to save a little.

When we were with my elderly mother, who was not able to walk any measureable distance, or stand for very long, we used a tour company that picked us up in port, and then did a 6 hour golf cart tour in rome, and then took us back to port. It was customized for us, because their regular tour was 4 hr golf cart and 3 hour vatican tour, but my mom couldnt do vatican and we didnt want her sitting outside in sun for that long. So, they worked with us. It was very pricey, but worth it.

terry

Terry

Honesty, I have never found any of my tours having a lot of walking. I think everything will be fine. And you can just sit in the van too, if you are tired. You do not have to do all the sites ( listen to your own body). Do not try to keep up with the young spry ones, lol... The only one I have found because of the hills, a bit more challenging would be cinque terre. You could also book a totally private tour and do not do a share tour. More expensive but they would suit your needs specifically. There are several listed on this board. I have personally use Joe Bananas Limos (excellent) the first year I went to Europe. Now I do the tour sharing.