Hygiene on P&O - Oceana failed inspection, Oriana cockroaches

HygieneWatch

As far as I know, on all my cruises there has been a notice saying if you want your towels changed then leave on floor, if not, they wont be. I don't have a problem with that. Do you change your towels every day at home? I certainly dont.

Er, don't they tell you that to start with, like most hotels nowadays?

No need for sarcasm. My point was that even if we left them on the rails for further use they have always been changed on our other cruises. This is the first time they haven't been changed. Perhaps we've just been lucky before with our cabin stewards.

Went on Oriana over 10 years ago and loved it, went back 5 yrs later and were very disappointed. Having been on Britannia last year the improvement in cabin design, menu & food and the ship itself means that we no longer book the older ships. Don't like the adult only ships either, too many old people, and not just in years but outlook. However I'm sure many will disagree with my views.

Sweeping generalisation of older people. We are "older people" and I like to consider myself modern in my thinking. I just don't want hordes of kids on my holiday, so cruise adult only. One of the reasons for choosing Oriana again is for the itinerary. She seems to go to different ports. I also like her lovely wide prom deck, and other open decks. We sailed on Azura and disliked her. too crowded and noisy.

Don't like the adult only ships either, too many old people, and not just in years but outlook. However I'm sure many will disagree with my views.

Ha ha, I don't want to disappoint you Will. I am disagreeing with your views and I agree with Jean ;)

Edited by Scriv

I just wish we had the same required reporting structure as in the US. I'm not sure of the percentages but above X number of Noro cases on a ship docking in the US requires the CDC to be involved. They inspect and report. I don't think we have anything similar here but maybe we do.

To be honest a list of the officially cleanest ships in order would be extremely interesting. However very few of the general public would know anything about the reports mentioned in this thread and P&O would probably just wait for it to blow over..

We were impressed when we boarded Britannia last year that we were directed to the sinks on entering the buffet, until we realised some skipped that request and those of us that entered the hand washing area found that it was impossible to keep the water running and wash your hands at the same time as the sensors were too far back on the taps and the soap dispensers were empty. Surely someone checks these things? Mum got Noro for the first time ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Having had both elderly parents in care homes and seen the distress this causes I would say that I would prefer the company of the other residents there with them than many other younger cruisers we have met on land and at sea. They have been elderly gentle gems. I find it offensive when we find the company of our elderly generation something to find offensive and such flippant comments seem ok on here. If you have ever had elderly parents then you will know what I mean ...These comments wind me up.

It's mind-blowing reading some of the comments on here. I have never seen Oriana as a care home. I am 69, my husband is 77 and our friend who travels with us is 80. She goes to the gym twice a week, visits elderly people on a voluntary basis, most of whom are younger than her. She is an ex dancer and singer and could put some of the obese, younger generation to shame. We love to dance, stay up late, we join the choir, if there is one, play quoits and table tennis.

In short, we have a great time in this carehome called Oriana!

I agree with you Presto2. We have sailed on the Oceana, Ventura and Azura and enjoyed all of them, but last year we went on the Adonia Amazon cruise and I must admit I was a little concerned as I knew the age group would be older than the other cruises. It was however the best cruise ever, the vast majority of the passengers were really friendly and we had great fun, the atmosphere was super and the ship was lovely, just needed some TLC:) It certainly wasn't like a floating care home, a good proportion of the passengers could put the younger cruisers to shame, their energy was boundless.

Molly

Hi, could you give some examples as we are due on her in August after a fabulous cruise last April. Don't want to be disappointed. ..

Extremely slow service in the dining room as the waiters seem to cover around 9 tables. When food is served they rush off immediately before you have the chance to ask for anything extra and refuse to catch your eye when you need them. This was Ligurian and on several different tables. Two hour plus dinners were common.

Balcony door leaks in several cabins not dealt with & all being left with soaking carpets overnight. Workmen not showing up at all when you are told they are due and problems not resolved such as toilet flushing issues on portside staterooms for duration of the cruise.

I could list more but I will start looking like a complainer. I was just a little surprised that overall there seem to be less care, attention and organisation that I have experienced on other cruises. That being said P&O prices reflect what they offer, I believe.

Edited by Jools.s

Sweeping generalisation of older people. We are "older people" and I like to consider myself modern in my thinking. I just don't want hordes of kids on my holiday, so cruise adult only. One of the reasons for choosing Oriana again is for the itinerary. She seems to go to different ports. I also like her lovely wide prom deck, and other open decks. We sailed on Azura and disliked her. too crowded and noisy.

I am still south of 50 and I wish I had booked adult only. There is only so much swimming pool dive bombing and being run into in hallways, and so many screaming fits in lifts, coaches and charter planes that you can take on a holiday.

Bah humbug :D

Continuing the age theme, I am early 60s and my husband 65, so younger than Will who started the age comments.

On Oriana, we have found lots of lovely people in the same age range and mindset and a lot of older ones who have put us to shame by their outlook to life and also their amazing energy. We have had some of our best conversations and fun with these older people.

I am still south of 50 and I wish I had booked adult only. There is only so much swimming pool dive bombing and being run into in hallways, and so many screaming fits in lifts, coaches and charter planes that you can take on a holiday.

Bah humbug :D

Jools,

I am not sure you should be having screaming fits and dive bombing the pool, not at your age.

:) :) ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree with you Presto2. We have sailed on the Oceana, Ventura and Azura and enjoyed all of them, but last year we went on the Adonia Amazon cruise and I must admit I was a little concerned as I knew the age group would be older than the other cruises. It was however the best cruise ever, the vast majority of the passengers were really friendly and we had great fun, the atmosphere was super and the ship was lovely, just needed some TLC:) It certainly wasn't like a floating care home, a good proportion of the passengers could put the younger cruisers to shame, their energy was boundless.

Molly

To be honest we would happily sail with those lovely, wonderful elderly ladies and gents from the care home my parents were in any day on any ship when we compare them to some of the cruisers we have seen on P&O and Celebrity who were much younger! (That's another thread ;-))

Does anybody know what, if any, the consequences are for Oceana of failing her CDC inspection (other than generating bad publicity and embarrassment for P&O)?

The same as for all the other ships which have failed form pall the other major lines over the past few years including the QM2.

They get it fixed and then it is rechecked.

The same as for all the other ships which have failed form pall the other major lines over the past few years including the QM2.

They get it fixed and then it is rechecked.

Basically just a wake up call then to out it right ??

Have to say we have done the 'Behinds the Scenes Tour' of Oceana (and Britannia) and I wish our kitchen was as good ................

Jools,

I am not sure you should be having screaming fits and dive bombing the pool, not at your age.

:) :) ;)

That's the end of my fun, then! Not even a little play fighting on the Le Club dancefloor?? :p