Taking alcohol- free beers on board?

Charlies Aunt

We are due to join the Neiuw Amsterdam at the end of this month. One of our party does`nt drink alcohol and I have two questions:

1) Is taking non-alcoholic beers on board permissible?

2) (more importantly) are non-alcoholic beers available for purchase on board?

I cannot answer question #1 but as to your #2, according to this beverage menu from last November, you can buy Buckler and O'Douls on board:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu.pdf

Many thanks joepeka

As long as we can get some on board the first question is not important.

Last summer, I purchased some NA beer in Ketchikan and brought it aboard without any problem. I just said they were non-alcoholic as they looked at them. They do offer NA aboard ship, but not the better stuff.

We are due to join the Neiuw Amsterdam at the end of this month. One of our party does`nt drink alcohol and I have two questions:

1) Is taking non-alcoholic beers on board permissible?

2) (more importantly) are non-alcoholic beers available for purchase on board?

Reply:

1) Yes (We have been able to do so on 3 different HAL ships, but it may depend on each ship's interpretation of the HAL rules, so you might want to ask when leaving the ship at your first port of call.)

2) Yes, but IMO none of the really good n/a brands (St Pauli NA, Clausthaler and similar) ...

Smooth sailing ...

Edited by avian777

;)Did you know that it DOES contain alcohol?

Just last Saturday I felt like a beer... normally done, but just felt like one with a pizza. So I did and rather enjoyed the taste. Sitting there with a silly grin... and not a coke in sight. After the pizza I ordered a great double espresso. Maitr'd... as usual, came over with a great large double grappa. Felt more 'normal' . :-) My point. I thought O'Dould was zero alcohol. I checked and the answer was not what I thought.

Best Answer: This is actually a valid question... though O'Douls is classified as a N/A (non-alcoholic) beer, it does contain alcohol.... US law says that in order for a beer to be classified as N/A it must contain less than 0.5% ABV (Alcohol by Volume)... keep in mind the average for US beers, including macrobrews and micro/craft breweries, is around 5.0% ABV

The answer is essentially... if you feel drunk after say, 5 regular beers, calculating that 1 O'Douls contains 0.5%ABV and a regular beer contains 5%ABV thats 10 O'Douls:1 Regular Beer.

So in order to put the same amount of alcohol into your system using O'Douls (considering it takes 5 regular beers) it would take about 50 bottles of O'Douls... I would definitely advise against this.

My point. I thought O'Dould was zero alcohol. I checked and the answer was not what I thought.

;)Did you know that it DOES contain alcohol?

Just last Saturday I felt like a beer... normally done, but just felt like one with a pizza. So I did and rather enjoyed the taste. Sitting there with a silly grin... and not a coke in sight. After the pizza I ordered a great double espresso. Maitr'd... as usual, came over with a great large double grappa. Felt more 'normal' . :-) My point. I thought O'Dould was zero alcohol. I checked and the answer was not what I thought.

Best Answer: This is actually a valid question... though O'Douls is classified as a N/A (non-alcoholic) beer, it does contain alcohol.... US law says that in order for a beer to be classified as N/A it must contain less than 0.5% ABV (Alcohol by Volume)... keep in mind the average for US beers, including macrobrews and micro/craft breweries, is around 5.0% ABV

The answer is essentially... if you feel drunk after say, 5 regular beers, calculating that 1 O'Douls contains 0.5%ABV and a regular beer contains 5%ABV thats 10 O'Douls:1 Regular Beer.

So in order to put the same amount of alcohol into your system using O'Douls (considering it takes 5 regular beers) it would take about 50 bottles of O'Douls... I would definitely advise against this.

My point. I thought O'Dould was zero alcohol. I checked and the answer was not what I thought.

Actually, O'Douls (And Buckler's for that matter) contain LESS THAN 0.5 ABV. In the same way that Coca-Cola or water does. It is just the way the FDA makes them label it. Please see attached photo

odouls.jpg.af7ac7c9f4c5689cd0be0af1d10535ed.jpg

Actually, O'Douls (And Buckler's for that matter) contain LESS THAN 0.5 ABV. In the same way that Coca-Cola or water does. It is just the way the FDA makes them label it. Please see attached photo

Thanks. I looked but missed it. Should use my glasses more!

Yes, you can be sure about that. You can also be sure that this alcohol content is about the same as your average dinner salad. Pretty tame stuff.

I have brought six packs of N/A on board at least three ships. I've never been refused.

Are you sure about that? Thanks.

From the LiveStrong website. It is in their large Nutrition section.

O'Doul's Nutrient Profile

O'Doul's is a golden-colored beer with a sweet, mild taste and a dry finish. A 12-ounce serving of O'Doul's contains 0.4 percent alcohol by volume, 65 calories and 13.3 grams of carbohydrates. Per 12 ounces, this type of beer is one of the lowest-calorie beers that Anheuser-Busch produces.

It has the same description for its Amber.

Edited by natty bumppo