Saving of lounge chairs

Wow, the people being described are incredibly inconsiderate.

I'll admit I was nervous about myself because I like to swim a lot. I like going back and forth between the pool and a sun lounger when I am using the pool. There's no way though that I'd want to just mark a chair and leave it unattended if I'm not using the pool.

It sounds like maybe this behavior begets more behavior because people think that because others do it that they need to do it too. There's no way that people should be able to go off and leave the pool area for hours while hogging a chair.

I would not want to leave my stuff unattended that long.

I might want to use the pool during two different stretches during the day but I'd have no interest in holding the same chair for it. I would bring my stuff whenever I want to use the pool and then leave with my stuff. Hopefully it won't be difficult to do that.

CHogs are a way of life on cruises and at pools everywhere. Someday anthropologists will study their habits and try to determine what kind of mental condition caused their behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sure would be a fun study to read/conduct. They do it on land at resorts too. As I'm watching the sun come up on my balcony, sipping coffee- there they are coming out of their rooms 1/2 asleep and slovenly dressed to put a towel on a lounger. Then, go back to sleep!

This issue (chair hogs) comes up over and over again but little gets done about it, although the Cruise Compass usually includes a statement that saving of seats is not permitted. My suggestion is that the cruise line place in each room a 30 minute timer for each occupant, the kind that you can buy from Amazon for $5.69 (last time I checked). Then anyone wanting to reserve a seat short term could set his or her timer and leave it on the seat. If there were no timer on the seat or the timer was expired, anything left on the seat would be removed and sent to the Lost & Found.

If I see a seat with no one in site, I grab an attendant, tell him I've been watching the chair for 30 min and to remove the items. I usually slip them a cool $2 bill.

If they refuse, I've been known to empty all the contents in to the nearest trash can, or rest it on the bar and walk away...

If I see a seat with no one in site, I grab an attendant, tell him I've been watching the chair for 30 min and to remove the items. I usually slip them a cool $2 bill.

If they refuse, I've been known to empty all the contents in to the nearest trash can, or rest it on the bar and walk away...

Gangsta' !

I'm not condoning chair hogging, by any means, but isn't stealing their stuff and throwing away kind of wrong too?

Tom

On my last cruise on grandeur in February, one day we went to the solarium pool, found a lounge chair that just had towels and a cruise compass on it. So I took it. I think I was there over an hour when a guy came and said where are the towels that were her. I had been leaning on them so I gave them to him.

Maybe some kind of automatic spring that flicks up after 30 minutes? Wouldn't have any effect if the lounger was occupied, but would get rid of any towels/books/flipflops? Or is that too mean? ;-)

I like that idea.:)

On the flipside, I had someone take my lounger in the solarium while I was gone to the bathroom. Literally, 5 minutes MAX. My book, my half finished drink, my towel and my coverup all there. The guy next to me told them I just left and went to the bathroom (cuz I told him I'd be right back). When I came back he said, "See, told ya". They left without issue, luckily.

Seriously, people gotta pee! LOL

Wow, the people being described are incredibly inconsiderate.

And they probably are 1 in 1000, but on a ship like the Oasis class you will run into them, but I run into so many more nice people that I have fond memories of that I can laugh at these.

I'm surprised that RCI hasn't seized the opportunity to generate more revenue by pre-renting/reserving those chairs to those passengers who want their own lounge chair for the entire length of the cruise.....whether they use it or not. ;)

We pre-reserved a cabana on a sea day on X Silhouette summer of 2014 Italy/Greece cruise. We like to sunbathe with occasional shade and knew the ship would be full so we thought we'd try it.

And were glad we did, there was not a chair to be had.

I think it was somewhere between $100-$150 for the entire day from 9am to 9pm.

We would definitely do this on RCCL if they decided to try it again AND if the price was still reasonable.