NCL app?

The app usage on the ship is free. Book shows, book dinners, book shoreex. check your account. see daily program. etc.

The $7.95 charge is if you want to to make calls/text messages to other passengers while on the ship using the app.

Edited by BirdTravels

A lot more than on competitors (even though the unlimited package is priced by day, you need to purchase for the whole duration of the cruise):

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/internet-packages

Oh my! No thanks!! We only paid $25 for the social media package on Carnival for a whole week.

Thanks! I downloaded it. How much is the wifi package?

I may be misreading your question but if you're asking about the cost of wifi and the iConcierge app, there is no cost. You can use the app for free. My understanding is that the app utilizes a separate part of the ship's wifi, not the wifi that you have to pay for. If you want internet access (e.g., email, web access, etc.), then you do have to pay for wifi access. However, use of the app itself does not require the purchase of a wifi package. As noted earlier, if you want to be able to text/call others on the ship who have the app, you do need to pay $7.95 per device.

Oh my! No thanks!! We only paid $25 for the social media package on Carnival for a whole week.

We used it on carnival too and it was wonderful. I was really hoping for something similar on NCL. It really is smart for a cruise line to offer this so cheaply as passengers end up giving them free advertising by tagging themselves on the boat, ect. while on social media. NCL get with the program! :p

I may be misreading your question but if you're asking about the cost of wifi and the iConcierge app, there is no cost. You can use the app for free. My understanding is that the app utilizes a separate part of the ship's wifi, not the wifi that you have to pay for. If you want internet access (e.g., email, web access, etc.), then you do have to pay for wifi access. However, use of the app itself does not require the purchase of a wifi package. As noted earlier, if you want to be able to text/call others on the ship who have the app, you do need to pay $7.95 per device.

Sorry I wasn't clear. No, I was hoping they offered something similar to Carnivals inexpensive social media package. For only $25 for 8 days (or you could buy it daily for $5 per day), we had internet access for social media sites such as Facebook, Facebook messenger, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, etc. For $60 we could have checked email and such too, but facebook was sufficient for us. It gave me the opportunity to keep in touch with family back home. For $5 per device we could have texted others on the ship, which we didn't purchase since it was just my husband and myself. We were pretty much always together. On this cruise however, our 19 year old son will be with us so the $7.95 each to keep in touch with him on the ship would be worth it.

We used it on carnival too and it was wonderful. I was really hoping for something similar on NCL. It really is smart for a cruise line to offer this so cheaply as passengers end up giving them free advertising by tagging themselves on the boat, ect. while on social media. NCL get with the program! :p

Good point! I was just disappointed cruise critic wasn't included in their social media package.

We just got off the Jade and I found iConcierge app basically useless - it was a static brochure. It did allow me to review my account to see what charges had been posted, and allowed me to call or text other devices that were registered, but it was a $7.95 charge per device, not per state room.

This may be different on updated ships, but to me not worth it. It would have been nice to have the freestyle daily schedule on the app, and to be able to see what was going on at different places, but nothing like that on the Jade.

This may be different on updated ships, but to me not worth it. It would have been nice to have the freestyle daily schedule on the app, and to be able to see what was going on at different places, but nothing like that on the Jade.

The daily activities were listed on iConcierge on the Gem back in January. Maybe it was different on the Jade.

We just got off the Jade and I found iConcierge app basically useless - it was a static brochure. It did allow me to review my account to see what charges had been posted, and allowed me to call or text other devices that were registered, but it was a $7.95 charge per device, not per state room.

I am not sure it is much better on the newer ships. I was able to see some of the daily schedule but it did not appear to be the whole thing on Getaway. For the life of me I could not figure out how to view my booked items in the app. I used my room TV for that. We were not impressed with the texting or calling either. I probably won't pay for it again though I will use the free features that are available. It was handy to book shows and tenders.

The daily activities were listed on iConcierge on the Gem back in January. Maybe it was different on the Jade.

The daily activities were listed on iConcierge on the Gem for the March 22 cruise. However, it was an incomplete list. Activities were listed in the Freestyle Daily that were not included in the activity list using the app. I would not rely on the app for that purpose.

Since I was not texting anyone else on the ship, I found the app useful only for monitoring the charges on my account.

For our upcoming BA sailing, I just checked the internet package - unlimited use for 7 days will cost $209.93 (or $29.99 daily) must be purchased for the duration as I recall (day 2 at the latest, maybe) - it is the only ship in the NCL with a relatively faster satellite link for connnectivity (paid WiFi data, no ethernet port access). BA also offer paid WiFi data by MB - a 300 MB plan for $59 or 1 GB (1,000 MB) for $125, with the $3.95 activation fee waived when purchased pre-cruise.

Under the "Free At Sea" promotion - we have a 250 minutes plan to use, it cannot be purchased - however.

Other ships, including the Getaway and Escape, both newer - offer the unlimited plan and minutes plan only - paid WiFi data access not available by the MB used (which, given how slow the connections can be, can be a "better" package to buy).

Multiple devices can share the plan once registered - but only one device can be logged in to use at a time, log off and sign out to avoid the biling "meter" continuing to run.

Use of the free iConcierge App (most of the functionality) does not need paid WiFi data access to the inTERnet, as long as your device is registered & the account is activated by associating it with your stateroom. Using the texting or calling features to/from other registered devices on the ship do not use this WiFi data. Feel free to use it to monitor onboard account charges, posted menu and other ship-wide announcements from the bridge or CD, etc. as well as booking dining & show reservations. However, there is no way - yet - to check or see a full daily/weekly list of booked events - duh !! - which is a major shortcoming and feedback has been given to NCL directly and via the App Store by Apple & Android (it's disappointing, IMO, as how difficult can that be programmed into the "codes" with several revisions in the past year alone.

By most accounts, CCL has a much better deal on using paid WiFi internet, priced lower and RCI has faster internet connection. It is what is is, however.