Chef Table Gratuities

SadieN

(See post 2. Couldn't get it to quote in the opening post.)

Always thought gratuities were included in the Chef's Table. Looks like they're being added in.

Has anybody else seen this?

Edited by SadieN

Found this on the Imagination review. Post 20 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2337806

WOW! That means they are now having you TRIPLE tip.

The tip on the meal you are NOT eating in the MDR.

The tip IN the $75 that we all know was in there till now.

And now a tip on the $75 (tip/service charge)? I've yet to ever see a tip on a service charge ANYWHERE.

I'm hoping this is a mistake.

And now a tip on the $75 (tip/service charge)? I've yet to ever see a tip on a service charge ANYWHERE.

Uh, no, it's in black and white.

Think you double dipped on the last two. Have you done the CT?

Not a mistake. You can't look at it that way. As far as the chef's table is concerned it's an optional thing. It's technically an excursion.

I am sure as our friend alludes to, there will be posts on whether tip was included partially included or not included. All immaterial now as they will add it (as it should be). Still a very enjoyable way to spend an evening.

(See post 2. Couldn't get it to quote in the opening post.)

Always thought gratuities were included in the Chef's Table. Looks like they're being added in.

Has anybody else seen this?

See below

Here is a quote from my recent email exchange with the Magic Steak House Mgr.

Thank you for booking the Chef’s Table.

Your reservation request for 2 Guests is confirmed.

The final date and time will be finalized once you are on board

Should your plans change, please keep us advised at mcsteakhouse@carnival.com

We look forward to serving you!

Your Steakhouse Manager

Kristina Popic

Carnival Magic

Please note an automatic 15% gratuity will be added to your sail&sign account.

Please explain the Note regard the automatic 15% tip in your reply confirming our Chef's Table Reservations?

I have previously attended the chef's table, and they told us the TIP was INCLUDED in the $75 charge for the event????

Good day,

Unfortunately automatically 15% gratuity is from recently as per new procesures.

Before all charges were without tip but from now on is going automatically thru the system.

Best Regards,

Kristina Popic

Steakhouse Manager, Carnival Magic

Carnival Cruise Line

P:1179 | Cell32191 | e: mcsteakhouse@carnival.com

We did tip extra on our own on our previous Chef's Table Experience. We just would have rather had the choice to tip extra on our own on this one ....?? Another price increase I guess? ________________

Edited by jwjax

Bottom line is if you feel the 15% gratuity added in is too much, then don't go.

How's this any difference of having gratuity of 18% added on to parties of 8 or more when eating out at most restaurants and you don't even get to see their kitchen! ;)

They're only adding 15% for a party of 14 or so.

Something to think about....on other lines the

Chef's Table and Ship Tours cost more. I see Chef's table about 25

dollars more usually...on other lines.

These 2 things I am going to think about as special deals on a

Carnival Cruise...with or without the added gratuity.

Everyone who enjoys food says the Chef's Table is amazing and

truly shows what the Chefs can do for a smaller group and in concentrating

efforts....and quality of food. I think that amount before tips is very fair for a very fancy meal

and wine!!!

Edited by sjn911

Something to think about....on other lines the

Chef's Table and Ship Tours cost more. I see Chef's table about 25

dollars more usually...on other lines.

These 2 things I am going to think about as special deals on a

Carnival Cruise...with or without the added gratuity.

Everyone who enjoys food says the Chef's Table is amazing and

truly shows what the Chefs can do for a smaller group and in concentrating

efforts....and quality of food. I think that amount before tips is very fair for a very fancy meal

and wine!!!

We have done five ct's on Carnival and one on Royal. Enjoyed them all. Don't think u will be disappointed. About 3 hours, relax and enjoy and go hungry. Eclectic menu.

I am sure as our friend alludes to, there will be posts on whether tip was included partially included or not included. All immaterial now as they will add it (as it should be). Still a very enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Not enjoyable if you sit next to the lady I got stuck with. Her husband wouldn't even talk to her. She spent 3 hours HOURS talking about her houseboat trip on the Seine. Couldn't get a word in edgewise to change the subject.

Bottom line is if you feel the 15% gratuity added in is too much, then don't go.

How's this any difference of having gratuity of 18% added on to parties of 8 or more when eating out at most restaurants and you don't even get to see their kitchen! ;)

The whole point was that the $75 was supposed to include the gratuity, and now they are adding more.

I don't mind, since Carnival's Chef's Table is less expensive then any of the other ones I have done, and it's only like $11 more with the change. I just wish they wouldn't act like the gratuity was not included before. What they are really doing is changing the price of Chef's Table, and trying to cover it up by adding a gratuity. So now, the staff will get the 15% gratuity, and Carnival will keep the part that used to go to the staff.

Actually, I added 30% to my last experience!! its kinda like scheduling a resv at a high end place, and then finding out that last year, the flat rate price for a 5 course dinner included the tip.... Now it doesn't! But! They forgot to tell you when you reserved the table

I am sure others would agree, we prefer to tip AT OUR DISCRETION! Not the Cruise lines, but as you stated, if the amount is TOO much, Don't GO:cool::cool:

IMHO... the wait staff will end up up with less because of the auto tip!:eek::):)

Edited by jwjax

Actually, I added 30% to my last experience!! its kinda like scheduling a resv at a high end place, and then finding out that last year, the flat rate price for a 5 course dinner included the tip.... Now it doesn't! But! They forgot to tell you when you reserved the table

I am sure others would agree, we prefer to tip AT OUR DISCRETION! Not the Cruise lines, but as you stated, if the amount is TOO much, Don't GO:cool::cool:

IMHO... the wait staff will end up up with less because of the auto tip!:eek::):)

I'm with you all the way. If they are going to "raise the price" by adding a mandatory 15% gratuity and if I continue to receive outstanding service, I will add on another 15% to total my personal choice of 30%.

Oh, and to make the "double-dippers" happy, after deducting the $6 for the MDR gratuity already included in the daily service charge that the MDR servers shouldn't get because they didn't serve me dinner. :rolleyes:

We have done five ct's on Carnival and one on Royal. Enjoyed them all. Don't think u will be disappointed. About 3 hours, relax and enjoy and go hungry. Eclectic menu.

Thanks...and I do understand OP wanting to get facts straight...but is sounds wonderful...and a way to change up the cruise...thanks.:)

I see you were on NCL in 2006. If you want an eye opening experience regarding tipping in their pay for restaurants, go there now.