Chef Table Gratuities

SadieN

Why should a tip be included? What happened to the days of tipping because you got good service?

I wouldn't dine anywhere that forces a tip on me. And I was once a waiter and Bartender who relied on tips. But I damn well earned them.

Guess your taking lots of places off your list. Chill out its only a couple of bucks.

If the standard daily charge includes gratuity for all dining services I don't see why they are charging a separate additional one for Chef's table.

Is there another cruise line that does it differently

who is that?

Holland America

Royal Caribbean

Princess

On MSC last week when I was presented my slip in specialty dining there was no surcharge, in fact there was no line to write in a tip. I asked for a reprint to write one in and they said they can't print one that way, my daily charge includes service in all venues, so I left cash. But it was my discretion.

There are probably others

Edit: Regardless of who does what; if a company says that the service charge includes all dining venues, that should mean all dining venues. If they charge you a separate gratuity for service in a specialty venue on top of your regular service charges (nevermind the food and service you are skipping in the venues included with your fare), I view it as double dipping. That's just my personal view on it and no one elses view will change my opinion there.

Edited by LMaxwell

Holland America

Royal Caribbean

Princess

On MSC last week when I was presented my slip in specialty dining there was no surcharge, in fact there was no line to write in a tip. I asked for a reprint to write one in and they said they can't print one that way, my daily charge includes service in all venues, so I left cash. But it was my discretion.

There are probably others

While I have not done all of those, I do remember there being a tip line (and an explanation before we got the bill was customary to tip). on Oasis when we did the CT (which was $95 I think before tip). MSC is a European cruise line which one would expect

To be different in many respects, tipping one of them.

How was MSC cruise?

While I have not done all of those, I do remember there being a tip line (and an explanation before we got the bill was customary to tip). on Oasis when we did the CT (which was $95 I think before tip). MSC is a European cruise line which one would expect

To be different in many respects, tipping one of them.

How was MSC cruise?

I did Chefs table on Royal Caribbean in 2014 and there was no addtl gratuity charged then.

MSC cruise was very, very good. I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars. The ship is immaculate and gorgeous, service and food were very good, and entertainment was varied and good caliber. Their prices are outrageously low as they are trying to drum up business and build their name in the US. I barely paid more for 7 days on the Divina than I paid for 4 days on the Victory, and since MSC has a status match program I was given their black card with some comped specialty dinners, comped wine, cocktail receptions, spa time, bunch of other goodies etc...I am sure your Carnival status would get you their black card.

I have a write up on the MSC forum if you are interested. The value can not be beaten and if one is willing to try something new they are likely to be favorably impressed.

I did Chefs table on Royal Caribbean in 2014 and there was no addtl gratuity charged then.

MSC cruise was very, very good. I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars. The ship is immaculate and gorgeous, service and food were very good, and entertainment was varied and good caliber. Their prices are outrageously low as they are trying to drum up business and build their name in the US. I barely paid more for 7 days on the Divina than I paid for 4 days on the Victory, and since MSC has a status match program I was given their black card with some comped specialty dinners, comped wine, cocktail receptions, spa time, bunch of other goodies etc...I am sure your Carnival status would get you their black card.

I have a write up on the MSC forum if you are interested. The value can not be beaten and if one is willing to try something new they are likely to be favorably impressed.

On oasis they had it,not mandatory but it was asked for. I would

Like to read your review of MSC, we did the Orchestra when they first came over, they struggled some back then but they were. Deal

Even back then.

Guess your taking lots of places off your list. Chill out its only a couple of bucks.

Not really. And I don't worry about the money, I tip very well actually, I just prefer to do it based on service I receive. I also think mandatory service gratuities can hurt workers as well..some think that they have tipped already when maybe the service team earned 20 or more % as a tip.

But again,

Tipping always has and always should happen AFTER service.

Not really. And I don't worry about the money, I tip very well actually, I just prefer to do it based on service I receive. I also think mandatory service gratuities can hurt workers as well..some think that they have tipped already when maybe the service team earned 20 or more % as a tip.

But again,

Tipping always has and always should happen AFTER service.

Can't argue that but I can only guess what prompted them to do this.

Every time I have attended the CT the attention to detail and service has been impeccable and deserves well over the 15% tip. If you do not like the idea of the auto tip don't attend simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can't argue that but I can only guess what prompted them to do this.

Money of course. Same reason they pay staff a lower wage and expect us to pay the remainder of the salary for staff under the guise of "gratuities" and then repeatedly remind you to tip the staff on top of that.

But that's just my opinion.

Money of course. Same reason they pay staff a lower wage and expect us to pay the remainder of the salary for staff under the guise of "gratuities" and then repeatedly remind you to tip the staff on top of that.

But that's just my opinion.

I would bet that salaries are equivalent. That line about subsidizing salaries is hogwash from my point of view (oops did I say hog, I am sure he will chip in with some anti tipping points now). More likely it is people not tipping that brought it on.

Every time I have attended the CT the attention to detail and service has been impeccable and deserves well over the 15% tip. If you do not like the idea of the auto tip don't attend simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would agree, they work hard and earn that and more.

I would bet that salaries are equivalent. That line about subsidizing salaries is hogwash from my point of view (oops did I say hog, I am sure he will chip in with some anti tipping points now). More likely it is people not tipping that brought it on.

You remind me so much of my mom. Always expecting and seeing the worst in people. Its very sad.

Your suggesting salaries are the same on the ship for dining room staff as they would be for a waiter in a land restaurant?

Surely you don't believe that to be true?

As for not tipping, if people thought it was included before, then I could see why they would not tip on top of that. I have only eaten in the steakhouse once and I was told the fee I paid included gratuities. Now we had great service so I left extra, but others may just think they paid it already and leave...so there may be some truth in that.

Your suggesting salaries are the same on the ship for dining room staff as they would be for a waiter in a land restaurant?

Surely you don't believe that to be true?

As for not tipping, if people thought it was included before, then I could see why they would not tip on top of that. I have only eaten in the steakhouse once and I was told the fee I paid included gratuities. Now we had great service so I left extra, but others may just think they paid it already and leave...so there may be some truth in that.

Actually I was suggesting that salaries were the same cruise lines, not land based restaurants. Who told you that the tip was included in the price at the steakhouse?

bottom line; if they are charging an autotip in specialty dining it is new and is double dipping. If you are okay with it, fine. If you want to add even more to it, fine. If you want to go to GS and remove a portion because you aren't using services you've been charged for elsewhere, fine. Whatever you personally feel like doing is fine.

bottom line; if they are charging an autotip in specialty dining it is new and is double dipping. If you are okay with it, fine. If you want to add even more to it, fine. If you want to go to GS and remove a portion because you aren't using services you've been charged for elsewhere, fine. Whatever you personally feel like doing is fine.

No argument it is in the cruisers control.