What to do in Nassau?

argetni

We also have done the TruBahamian food tour and thought it was great fun! I am sure if you don't have a good guide it could be a problem. We were able to move right along and spend a good amount of time at each stop. Well worth it to try some of the local flavors.

Fish Fry is another good choice to eat some of the fresh catch of the day. We walked to it and took the local bus back. No problems.

Enjoy Nassau. I think it is an interesting port with lots of history; but to each his own!:)

I'm sure day pass will be well worth it. We thought about it but not much time in port and so took taxi ($4 pp each way) down to Cabbage beach. Very nice. The locals will try to sell you everything, including umbrellas for $50 and chair's for $25 or unlimited drinks for $20. We stayed for a few hours and enjoyed the ocean and then headed back onto the ship to enjoy that.

There is a new-ish restaurant between Senor Frogs and the British Colonial Hilton- Lukka Kairi. Try it, good food and a casual atmosphere!

Also I recommend shopping for rum cakes and a visit to Pirates of Nassau museum if you have never been, its a good way to spend a half hour or so. These things are all within a short walk of the cruise dock.

Edited by BlueWavesDreamer

Depending on your port time in Nassau, my daughter and I were just there last month, and we were in port until midnight, so had a full day there. We had tried to book a day pass to a few resorts, but they were all sold out, since last minute and was spring break.

We walked to Junkanoo Beach, was not bad at all, water was lovely and we stayed for quite a few hours. We then walked back to ship ( is maybe a 10-15 minute walk) grabbed lunch, showered and took a taxi for $4 each to the Atlantis. Good tip from the cabby, is that after 6 pm, you can roam around the Atlantis at no charge. Your kids would love looking at the huge aquarium and just walking through the gardens and walkways on the property. Is quite a bit to just look at and marvel at, especially IF you have never been to the Atlantis!

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the Blue Lagoon island excursion off of our cruise a couple of years ago and loved it! Beautiful, calm, water and a nice beach. They also have a water park with several blow-up type slides, bouncers, etc. You can add the dolphin swim but we didn't (just went and looked at the dolphins). Plenty of shade. They have a full bar (reasonable prices). The boat that took us there picked us up right off of the dock, so that was nice, especially with young kids.

The water in the Bahamas is beautiful and very clear, even around Nassau. Water activities are where it's at. Those who don't enjoy the beach or water excursions tend struggle to find things they like to to do in Nassau. If you don't want to go to a beach, I would suggest a snorkeling excursion, or an excursion that sails out to Rose Island.

If you want to take a snorkeling excursion I highly recommend Stuart Cove. Stuart Cove's snorkeling tour is one of the best snorkeling excursions I've been on. The last stop they even give you the option of swimming with reef sharks without a cage, which is was an incredible experience. Even if you are too scared to swim with the sharks, the other two stops are very good.

If you stay on the ship in Nassau you really are missing out on what the Bahamas has to offer.

Edited by mfeld

In December, grabbed a cab to Margaritaville on Paradise Island for a bite to eat and a couple of drinks, used the free wi-fi and then cabbed back to port to wonder around in the shops. Still had plenty of empty ship time too!

We were just talking about this. Not good for me because of walking problems and im not a foodie but it sounds like a good deal for $69. There is someone on FB that's advertising his excursions and one of them is the same he's charging $83 for the same exact excursion. I did point it out to him and ask why he says he's saving people money when he clearly is not saving people money but over charging them. Best off doing your own excursion bookings and doing research. If I could manage walking I would have went with the girls who want to do this. Did you do this one?

I've seen their Trip Advisor reviews. They are so skewed they make me laugh. I take that site with a large grain of salt.

TripAdvisor is very reliable. They average all the reviews and ratings. When they found too many reviews from one ip address for a restaurant I was employed at, they changed their ranking immediately. They take that stuff seriously so if it has 5 stars, i'd say it is good. though it may not be for everyone.

We all are beach lovers but are already doing cocoa beach at Port Canaveral and of course at GSK.
Every time we've gone to Nassau we've gone to Riu. $75 per adult, $50 for my young kids (your 12 year old would be $60)

Includes breakfast, lunch, unlimited drinks, their pool has a swim up bar, and access to the beach. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available at no charge on their beach. The water does not compare at all to Cocoa Beach in Florida!!! Makes Cocoa Beach look like mud! And I loved GSC but honestly I think Riu's beach was nicer. Takes about 15 minutes to get there by cab ($4 per person, I usually give $1 tip per person)

Last week, the waves were STRONG so we didn't spend as much time actually in the water on the beach, but other times we've been there and hardly came out of the water except to get a drink! (You do have to go up to the pool to get a drink, there's no service on the beach.) When the waves aren't rough, fish will come up and swim right around your legs. Super cool. We keep saying we're going to try somewhere else and we keep going there anyway. lol

No idea if they're available last minute though.

We leave this Sunday

I assume your sailing on the Breakaway out of Manhattan. If so your family should stop by our CC Meet and Mingle on Tuesday, 4/11 at 11am in La Cucina. Also swing by the Roll Call thread to see who else is cruising.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2125216

Edited by darrengs

So we have nothing planned for the day in Nassau and was wondering what to do?

Me -40

DW -39

DD -12

DS- -4 - bringing a stroller for him

DM -84, but very active and can walk miles and will be staying in the studios

We all are beach lovers but are already doing cocoa beach at Port Canaveral and of course at GSK.

So what to do?

I am assuming this is first time in Nassau? If so,then get off the ship and walk around. There are a few nice activities, beaches, The Manor, some good food. We rather enjoyed it the first two cruises...but, the last three we have stayed on the ship.

I am not sure about NCL, we have only done DCL and RCCL, but they have most activities on ship open at Nassau. The ship is a whole different experience when half empty. For us, cruising is just as much about the ship experience as the ports.

For those that are saying "Stay on the ship" and enjoy the half empty ship... I would HIGHLY recommend that if OP chooses a day to stay on the ship, he does that in Port Canaveral and goes to the beach in Nassau! I would choose a beach in Nassau over Cocoa Beach ANY DAY.

For those that are saying "Stay on the ship" and enjoy the half empty ship... I would HIGHLY recommend that if OP chooses a day to stay on the ship, he does that in Port Canaveral and goes to the beach in Nassau! I would choose a beach in Nassau over Cocoa Beach ANY DAY.

Which beach? Not Junkanoo Beach, right?

Never been to Junkanoo Beach. We've been going to Riu. Friends who have gone to other resorts with day passes have said the same thing, Cocoa Beach just doesn't compare.

I agree about Cocoa Beach. I've never been, but it doesn't look promising from the pictures. If you don't want to do (or already did) Kennedy Space Center and Seaworld, I'd rather stay on the ship than do any other excursion.

The other thing to keep in mind that most NCL cruises that got to Nassau also go to GSC, and it's awesome.

We're on the Breakaway in a couple of weeks and plan to hang out on the ship in Nassau. We've done Atlantis and the Blue Lagoon so for us it's expensive for a short time so our plan is to head over to Senor Frogs for a couple of drinks then right back on the ship

Us too !!! See you there !!