No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

I am confused (sorry if I missed something). So we can no longer order any wine on the list under $ 12 (or pay the difference if over $ 12)? When we cruised last November, we were not limited to specific ones on our UBP. We could select any wine on the list. I am hearing that this is not the case any more?

Yes you can still order any wine on the (by glass) list.. Its just the list has seriously shrunk to bottom shelf supermarket blends.. If your a wine only drinker who prefers not to drink powdered oak smooth creosote I would take another perk ;)

If its a dual perk you could take credit and UBP and perhaps try to see if the math works for bottles with the discount.

However if you still enjoy the odd beer and cocktail in the afternoon and cocktails later the UPB perk still probably makes sense

Edited by ighten

I am confused (sorry if I missed something). So we can no longer order any wine on the list under $ 12 (or pay the difference if over $ 12)? When we cruised last November, we were not limited to specific ones on our UBP. We could select any wine on the list. I am hearing that this is not the case any more?

The wine lists are posted on this thread. The UBP covers up to $15 for a drink, the issue here is that the list of wines by the glass has dwindled down to very few available.

To Hawkeyetlse

Thank you for the information & wine list aboard the ship. We thought I should share this information. We are active wine drinkers at home & on the cruise. We usually never find a suitable white wine at the bars or the house wine being offered by the cruise line. We are forced to purchase their beverage package just to get something drinkable. Even then we order bottled wine at dinner to complement the meal. So as a way by example: This is what we can purchase wine for at home in Arizona vs the ship charges.

White Wine on NCL similar to competing cruise lines.

White Zinfandel Beringer, Calofornia Ship $36.00 Total Wine Store $11.00

Chardonnay Meridan Vineyards, California Ship $36.00 Total Wine $7.99

Chardonnay Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuissee Burgandy France Ship $65.00 Total Wine $14.95

Chardonnay Robert Mondavi Private Selection Ship $ 40.00 Total Wine $8.95

My point is the mark-up on alcohol products is obscene & expensive. This does not include the usual 18% added as a service charge or gratitutity. Also as a consumer we are purchasing 1-6 bottles at a time. Imagine what discount the cruise line gets, for ordering thousands of cases of wine across all of their ships.

Understanding I am not complaining, just pointing out that drinking wine on any cruise can be expensive & of poor quality.

Happy Travels, John

I have to tell you, the mark up on wine and alcohol on the lines that charge for those things is obscene and expensive across all of the cruise lines. It's nothing to pay $30+ for a bottle that costs $10 or less at home. That kind of crazy mark up isn't really unusual on a cruise. Also cruise lines charge $18 or more per bottle for the privilege of drinking our own wine that we bring, above and beyond the first bottle. Cruising is a fun vacation, but if you like your luxuries, it sure isn't a cheap vacation choice. [/i]

LrgPizza--I really like your posts and think you provide some great feedback, but, this post rubbed me the wrong way. I think you didn't understand what I was referring to in my post. Has nothing to do with Escape.

First of all, I never said we would cancel our vacation. I said we would have cancelled our NCL cruise. Believe me, we would still take a vacation, it would just be somewhere else.

Secondly, I don't need anyone telling me what I need to be paying attention to here on CC or any other site. If you knew me, then you would know I have been reading EVERY single thread on Escape I can find. There are many negative things as well as positive. I'm not referring to the ship itself, I'm referring to their overall experience whether it be Escape or NCL in general.

When you have booked a vacation, whether it be a cruise or something else, and you have paid, literally thousands of dollars for it, there's nothing wrong with having certain expectations. Booking a cruise and having certain things included and then turning around and finding out some of these things are now charged, fees increasing numerous times, lots of slow service, etc., that tends to put a damper on things.

So, please don't judge me and accuse me of only focusing on the negative things. :( I realize there are folks out there who absolutely love their cruise line and will sail it no matter what, but not all of us feel that way.

I appreciate the more in depth explanation. I guess it's just that I've sailed this ship. It's got more to offer than wine, which is why I thought you might cancel. So you're right that I didn't know to what you referred.

I'm not an NCL loyalist, nor am I a cruise loyalist. I prefer land trips, and take way more than cruises. I shop around looking for value. Nothing is perfect. If I expected perfection, I'd never be able to leave the house. I just like having fun, and this ship is fun, despite limited wine.

Good luck in your travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by LrgPizza

So we can no longer order any wine on the list under $ 12 (or pay the difference if over $ 12)? When we cruised last November, we were not limited to specific ones on our UBP. We could select any wine on the list. I am hearing that this is not the case any more?
You can still pick any wine from the list, up to $15. The problem is, they have shortened the list drastically.

OH, I really hope that they keep the White Zinfandel on the list (preferably the Vendage brand)................

.....or perhaps they could bring back those delicious wine-the-box........

You don't even need to be a "wine lover" to suffer from the change. This is pretty much the same if they told people that only available rums were two well brands like Bacardi Superior and Captain Morgan and only vodka available would be Smirnoff – but as already said, they are already testing limited selection across the board on Sky (see here) so it can become reality on other ships too.

Ok, so maybe I'm not a sophisticated drinker, but Captain Morgan and Smirnoff are fine with me. I was just offering an opinion - and I don't drink wine due to it giving me headaches - as to possible alternatives.

I can see that if people are extremely discriminating as to their liquor, it could be a problem... But as a mass market line, I expect selections to be akin to what's available at a chain restaurant like Chili's or similar. If I want the experience equivalent to a 5 star restaurant in Napa, I'd do something different in terms of cruise lines.

Maybe I'm weird. I just don't understand what makes Johnny Walker Blue better tha JW Black. They both taste like whiskey and both will get someone drunk. Is it just being able to say "hey I only drink this super expensive stuff"? I mean, sure, fancy Mac and cheese with truffles is good, but I can eat Kraft dinner and be just fine.

Besides, doesn't viva vino give bottles of wine that can be chosen? That was my understanding of it.

Edited by Starflyr3

First, I'd like to thank the OP for this thread. To get the best value for our money in all aspects of life we must be given access to information to be able to make the best choices for ourselves. The OP wanted to let others know of her experience as a wine drinker and due to the limited/restricted choices offered during her cruise, she felt the UBP was not the best value for her. She wanted to pass this information along to allow others access to information to make their own decisions. Why this has turned into a "why didn't she just drink shots, mixed drinks, beer to receive a better value" discussion is beyond me. She is a WINE drinker.

Secondly, I experienced a a huge reduction of wine choices as well on our cruise in March. After reading this thread, I decided to do more digging into the NCL wines included in the UBP. The links are provided below.

As posted by NCL,on their website in 6/15, there were 41 wines by the glass being offered with the UBP. They were categorized as White, Red and Dessert. https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/WineList_Fleetwide_07092015.pdf

On February 27, 2016 as posted on Cruise Critic, there are photos showing the NCL wine menus. The category types have changed to Whites Sparkling, Sweet Off Dry, Light, Medium and Full. Reds Light, Medium and Full. There are now 7 White Wines to choose from versus 20 in 2015 and 7 Red Wines to choose from vs 20 in 2015. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49227301&postcount=37. The UBP selection has been cut by nearly 2/3rds. There are zero options under the UBP if your preference is a White or a REd Medium or Full Intensity wine. ZERO choices for free under the UBP.

If you are a wine lover and enjoy trying different wines based on the food selection, or your mood or for whatever reason, picking the UBP will greatly reduce the value you will receive from this selection. Yes, there is the options of purchasing a bottle of wine with a percentage discount, but you have already "paid" for "free wine" and purchasing a bottle comes with additional costs to your shipboard account.

Going back to my personal cruise experience in March: We are NCL suite cruisers and although I was offered the "free" wine in the suite dining, I pressed to see the wine list and once presented with it, saw for myself the limited choices. My preference was no longer allowed on the plan but our server sought out different wines that she thought I would enjoy as a replacement. I found one that was fine, but it was not my first choice, as it was for two weeks we spent cruising in December. Again, thank you OP, for allowing us to take your experience and seek out information on our to make our own decisions to receive the best value!

How do you "pay" for something that is "free"? Yes you pay the beverage service charge, if you purchase a bottle w/the discount they should waive the added gratuity because you have pre-paid that in the service charges. Does anyone know if they do that?

Yes you pay the beverage service charge, if you purchase a bottle w/the discount they should waive the added gratuity because you have pre-paid that in the service charges. Does anyone know if they do that?
No, they do not. You have pre-paid service charges on everything that is included in the package. If you purchase something beyond what is included, you should (and you do) pay the 18% on that additional purchase.

If you have the UBP and decide to purchase a bottle of wine that costs $50:

• The UBP includes 20% of the price of this wine = $10. You have already paid a service charge for this part of this price.
  • The remaining 80% is not included in your package, and the service charge you paid does not cover this.
  • You pay $40 + 18% = $47.20 for this bottle of wine.
  • Without the UBP, you would have paid $50 + 18% = $59 for the same bottle.
  • $47.20/$59 = 0.80. You save 20% with the UBP, just as advertised.

I agree! Although, I'm surprised to see Dogfish Head 90 Minute on tap. You think they'd have 60 Minute IPA instead. DFH 90 is awesome, but I don't know how many I could drink as opposed to DFH 60 minute. Not complaining, just a bit surprised. :D

We'll be on the Jewel in Sept. and I hope to see a few good beers on tap...

Jim

Hope into one hand, wiz into the other and guess which one needs washing.

That menu isn't fleetwide.

We were on the Breakaway September 2015 with ubp and just recently on Escape with ubp.

The changes in wine by the glass were striking. I was drinking Oberon cab and savignon blanc by the glass on BA, only now available by the bottle on escape. Many venues don't even give you a wine list, they only have about one of each varietal available.

Got Veuve Cliquot on the BA, $15/glass at le bistro. It was $23.75 on escape.

Mondavi Wine Cellar on escape was sad mostly the same limited wines by the glass as everywhere else. A few others from $18 to $30 a glass.

I'm afraid this change will spread to other venues with craft beer and premium liquors no longer available. Every great beer I got in the District Brewhouse, I wondered how long until this gets excluded from ubp. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mondavi Wine Cellar on escape was sad mostly the same limited wines by the glass as everywhere else. A few others from $18 to $30 a glass.

Could you have a look here and let us know if this is still the menu at The Cellars? Sounds like it probably is not. It is dated August 2015, so I wonder if it has also been the victim of recent cutbacks.

We got off the breakaway on the 27th. This was our first ncl cruise so nothing g to compare to but we figured out changes had been made to the wine list by the glass choices the first night in mdr. I don't know which one dh asked for but the server came back and said we do not have that by the glass. Dh Pointed to the wine list and said it says right here you do. She looked puzzled, took the menu and came back a minute later and said she checked again it's not offered. She handed dh a wine list again and he looked and sure enough it was a different menu. He was really disappointed because the wine he wanted was one he likes. It only makes sense that ncl will cut back on wine by the glass prices to make it more profitable for them (free packages and all). They are here to make a profit and keep investors happy afterall.

Could you have a look here and let us know if this is still the menu at The Cellars? Sounds like it probably is not. It is dated August 2015, so I wonder if it has also been the victim of recent cutbacks.

No, that is not the current menu. I think most of those wines are still available but only by the bottle. If I remember correctly there were about 5 reds and 5 whites by the glass under $15/glass. And they are mostly the same ones available at every bar or restaurant. for example North and South (ncl house brand) is the only sauvignon blanc anywhere by the glass.

I think venues like the Wine Cellar and the District Brewhouse were planned before they decided to give everyone the ubp. And now they want to walk it back.

Similar to Margaritaville restaurant on the escape.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sorry but District Brewhouse is an Escape specific venue, on all other ships the selection is less than one of those pages and really mostly consists of "big brewery" brands and items, you probably have additional NY local brewery added in the mix (available only at O'Sheehan's) like Getaway has one from FL.

Thank you for the heads up Demon... Going to run to O'Sheehans to check it out once onboard 😁

Maybe I'm weird. I just don't understand what makes Johnny Walker Blue better tha JW Black. They both taste like whiskey and both will get someone drunk. Is it just being able to say "hey I only drink this super expensive stuff"? I mean, sure, fancy Mac and cheese with truffles is good, but I can eat Kraft dinner and be just fine.

Not everyone drinks to get drunk. Some people have a favorite drink that they choose because of the taste. As I've gotten older, I've learned how good pairings of wine and food can enhance the dining experience. So a reduction in available wines (or brands of a particular liquor) do diminish the value of the UBP for some.

Not everyone drinks to get drunk. Some people have a favorite drink that they choose because of the taste. As I've gotten older, I've learned how good pairings of wine and food can enhance the dining experience. So a reduction in available wines (or brands of a particular liquor) do diminish the value of the UBP for some.

Agreed, dijid. Regardless of the UBP, limited wines by the glass are a deal breaker for me. Unfortunate that they chose this area to make cutbacks. Where I live, it is standard to pay $10 to $15 for a good glass of wine. I pay it because it is worth it. If you are having an exceptional entree, you want an exceptional glass of wine to go with it. Should be an option for those willing to pay for it.