No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

LOL I probably would not actually argue all day . The Buena Vista is the original restaurant where Irish coffee was invented , 50 years ago. I believe it is located in San Fran. Bartenders do not feel like making coffee drinks often because it is a pain to locate coffee. I suspect that is why they would say it is not included:roll eyes:
Yes, the Buena Vista Cafe is in San Francisco. When I worked there, my office was right across the street from the cafe and I spent a lot of time there. Didn't go in for Irish Coffee, but had a lot of ramos fizzes there with breakfast.

And that can be dangerous because more and more trailer trash cruise every year.

First time trailer trash asks, if i just paid my 18% gratuities on my UBP , am i still expected to tip for my drinks??? Waiters and servers or does this apply to going to the bar myself? I sure dont want to offend all the snooty hoity toity cruisers with my ingnorant trash tendencies

First time trailer trash asks, if i just paid my 18% gratuities on my UBP , am i still expected to tip for my drinks??? Waiters and servers or does this apply to going to the bar myself? I sure dont want to offend all the snooty hoity toity cruisers with my ingnorant trash tendencies

You don't have to tip twice. Everyone using the UBP has had the tip taken care of already.

Some people tip extra but it's not required or expected.

nope. no requirements or expectations to tip a penny more. if you want to, you are free to do so but you should not feel pressured to do so by anyone.

• 1 month later...
To Hawkeyetlse

Thank you for the information & wine list aboard the ship. We thought I should share this information. We are active wine drinkers at home & on the cruise. We usually never find a suitable white wine at the bars or the house wine being offered by the cruise line. We are forced to purchase their beverage package just to get something drinkable. Even then we order bottled wine at dinner to complement the meal. So as a way by example: This is what we can purchase wine for at home in Arizona vs the ship charges.

White Wine on NCL similar to competing cruise lines.

White Zinfandel Beringer, Calofornia Ship $36.00 Total Wine Store $11.00

Chardonnay Meridan Vineyards, California Ship $36.00 Total Wine $7.99

Chardonnay Louis Jadot Pouilly Fuissee Burgandy France Ship $65.00 Total Wine $14.95

Chardonnay Robert Mondavi Private Selection Ship $ 40.00 Total Wine $8.95

My point is the mark-up on alcohol products is obscene & expensive. This does not include the usual 18% added as a service charge or gratitutity. Also as a consumer we are purchasing 1-6 bottles at a time. Imagine what discount the cruise line gets, for ordering thousands of cases of wine across all of their ships.

Understanding I am not complaining, just pointing out that drinking wine on any cruise can be expensive & of poor quality.

Happy Travels, John

Wow the White Zinfandel Beringer is only about 5-7 here in California. That's crazy

Candi

LOL I probably would not actually argue all day . The Buena Vista is the original restaurant where Irish coffee was invented , 50 years ago. I believe it is located in San Fran. Bartenders do not feel like making coffee drinks often because it is a pain to locate coffee. I suspect that is why they would say it is not included:roll eyes:

I know that this is not a thread about Irish Coffee, but "Irish Coffee" was first introduced in the US at the Buena Vista, however, it was not invented there. It was tasted by the owner of BV and a travel writer, whom tried to replicate what they had consumed. [see Buena Vista's website - http://www.thebuenavista.com/home/irishcoffee.html]

I must say I am utterly baffled at those who leave an extra tip when they have already paid it when booking the cruise. For me to leave something extra your service should be above and beyond - not doing the job you were hired to do in the first place. If i hunted down the waiter etc to even order a drink I am certainly not tipping extra.

Tipping is so out of hand in this country it is ridiculous. Most of us in one way or another work in a job where we serve someone else, or provide customer service etc. we don't receive tips for our jobs.

I haven't read through all of these posts -

My thoughts however, are - on drinks (and food for that matter!)

Its a cruise! We are on a ship!

I am a wine lover at home and can buy amazing wines of course far cheaper than on a ship. I can cook the finest Scotch beef there is on the planet - and dine in Michelin restaurants - I supply many of them! I am not going to get the finest wines on an all inclusive - neither am I going to get a slab of Buccleugh Beef - ITS A CRUISE SHIP! Its a drinks package - Just eat, drink and be merry!

I see they have Italian Prosecco, Australian Sauv - Argentinian Malbec - A wolf blass shiraz - Good grief - after the first couple who cares!

Leave your wine snobbery at home and just drink a few - might go down better than you think!

Absolutely agree. Although it wasn't the alcohol part that surprised me, it surprised me that tea/coffee or bottled water wasn't included! I'm sure these are beverages...

I never had a problem finding alcoholic drinks though. But I guess I'm not really a big wine drinker. I would definitely have the package again, if it was part of an offer. However, the actual price of it is mad! You would have to drink so much to make back your money...

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/10/ncls-unlimited-beverage-package/ :)

You would have to drink so much to make back your money...

Which I certainly intend to do when we sail in December :D

Threads like this are one reason I love CC. Apart from being full of helpful people it is also populated by others whose sole aim in life would appear to be to moan and complain at every little thing.

If I'm feeling a little down, I know I'm guaranteed a smile with some of the ridiculous comments people post.

Keep it up folks!!

Ha ha!! If you can drink $79 dollars a day of alcohol I am impressed!

Have a fabulous cruise I'm very very very very very jealous. :)

I'm sure we'll have a great time but coming off the QM2 and joining the Breakaway is going to be an experience in itself if I've read some of the reviews correctly :D

I'm sure we'll have a great time but coming off the QM2 and joining the Breakaway is going to be an experience in itself if I've read some of the reviews correctly :D

Yep! I just had this experience but in reverse, I usually cruise NCL but cruised Cunard for the first time this August. No unlimited drinks on there. Very different experience :)

(I'm glad we've turned this thread back onto the cruising topic haha)

Instead of the beer-snob troll post from Luddite, how about a real answer.

If you happen to be going on Escape, here is the beer menu from District Brewhouse.

Photos from TheDougOut

e688591eb55f426d10002ce27edbda7a.jpg

53445ded6739b7d0ad2e853ac328a145.jpg

0b1e40a0ed22eef2e10eece033ddb7d8.jpg

Thank you, thank you. This looks awesome. My hubby like American Bud and I'm quickly becoming a beer snob. I can't wait to start at the top of this list and make my way through it (1st couple pages anyways). Being from BC, I don't recognize most of them but they sound awesome. The couple I do recognize are good, to I'm a happy beer snob. Thank you.

Thank you, thank you. This looks awesome. My hubby like American Bud and I'm quickly becoming a beer snob. I can't wait to start at the top of this list and make my way through it (1st couple pages anyways). Being from BC, I don't recognize most of them but they sound awesome. The couple I do recognize are good, to I'm a happy beer snob. Thank you.

Our cabin was near the District. Went there at least once every day. Piano

player Beau was great

I must say I am utterly baffled at those who leave an extra tip when they have already paid it when booking the cruise. For me to leave something extra your service should be above and beyond - not doing the job you were hired to do in the first place. If i hunted down the waiter etc to even order a drink I am certainly not tipping extra.

Tipping is so out of hand in this country it is ridiculous. Most of us in one way or another work in a job where we serve someone else, or provide customer service etc. we don't receive tips for our jobs.

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app