No more "Free Beverage Package" for us

Mikkar

Posts about wine always make me laugh. There have been many, many studies that have shown there is very little difference between wine that are labeled as "cheap", and the "expensive" wines. It's also funny because people think they are being fancy, but 9/10 they would be fooled by a blind taste test.

It appears that you have an uneducated opinion. Do you drink wine? If you did you would know (as others have stated) that tastes have nothing to do with price/cost. Wine drinkers drink the wines they like.

IMHO the big discussion and disappointment is that NCL now has taken away the value of the UBP for wine drinkers by limiting the wines available by the glass. It has left wines that we have tasted and do not like necessarily; for example, not all Cabs or Chards taste the same. Cost is never really a player in this.

Secondly, can you tell me what studies you are referring to? I would love to read them. Could you post where I can find them? In the wine industry wine is not labeled 'cheap or expensive'. :rolleyes: It is judged on a whole list of things that give it its quality.

Also, what does 'being fancy' even mean? Seems like a jab based on naiveté which should make me laugh but I recognize that you may have limited knowledge, so I won't laugh.

Thanks in advance for the information you send me.

Safe sailing all!!

Edited by Cruisercl

Your best bet is to bring your own on board, pay the corkage and save a lot of money.

That's my plan for next time. The $160.00 that we paid for the beverage service charge will go a long way toward the corkage fees.

http://costcowineblog.com/2013-kirkland-signature-sonoma-county-old-vine-zinfandel/ Pours a dark purple with a nose that jumps out of the glass with notable pepper and spice box aromas to a degree it almost makes you sneeze. That spice comes back in the finish but in between you have a succulent, fruit packed, jammy, and all together nice wine. I was really impressed at this price point. 9.99

I brought this on board. Paid 9.99 at Costco and paid the corkage fee. This bottle would be comparable to $60+ on board NCL (not including 18%). I saved money and also enjoyed the wine I LOVE.

I can't stand some wines that cost more than that and below that price point either. So it's not about cheap wines or expensive wines. It's about quality wines.

I ALSO brought in two 1500 ML OF Kirkland chardonney. Again. Saved me at least $150- $200 (even with corkage fee).

Edited by renata102

As someone who cruises all lines I think the quote is so true as there would be negativity and "I'm not cruising ABC line again!" no matter what thread it went in. If it went in:

Princess - What a beverage package, why the change! It was not like this 10, 20, 30, years ago! Why can't they keep well enough alone!

Celebrity - Beverage packages, shhh don't tell anyone we are just like NCL

RCL - I can't get a drink delivered to me on the on board merry-go round

Cunard - They were wearing informal wear while trying to order a drink-gasp!

Holland - Please nudge the person on the right of you awake and ask if they have a package

LOL I hear you.

Our May cruise will be our first with UBP....I can only say I am very disappointed with the posted list....I truly feel that NCL is "shortchanging" wine drinkers . Guess..I will be ordering more cocktails:eek: instead of wine.

Our May cruise will be our first with UBP....I can only say I am very disappointed with the posted list....I truly feel that NCL is "shortchanging" wine drinkers . Guess..I will be ordering more cocktails:eek: instead of wine.

They've been short-changing beer drinkers for years.

There are a number of simple, inexpensive wines which exceed the few selections which seem available on NCL. Yellowtail Shiraz, for example, is a great ordinary red - probably $8+/- for 750 ml. or Barefoot Pinot Grigio - comparably priced dry white - even adding corkage, you will save $ and have a much better wine than anything other than NCL's over-priced decent stuff.

Sadly, enjoyable Cabernets are harder to find priced much below $25.

There are a number of simple, inexpensive wines which exceed the few selections which seem available on NCL. Yellowtail Shiraz, for example, is a great ordinary red - probably $8+/- for 750 ml. or Barefoot Pinot Grigio - comparably priced dry white - even adding corkage, you will save $ and have a much better wine than anything other than NCL's over-priced decent stuff.

Sadly, enjoyable Cabernets are harder to find priced much below $25.

Agreed. A 12-15 dollar bottle plus corkage fee is superior to anything by the glass or any 35$ bottle on the ship.

Something about having the UBP for the first time, I don't want to haul wine bottles in carryon and pay corkage. For the wine drinkers out there, what's the most drinkable cab can suggest from the standard wine menu by glass and same question for wine cellar on escape, ok if need to pay a little over $15 limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Something about having the UBP for the first time, I don't want to haul wine bottles in carryon and pay corkage. For the wine drinkers out there, what's the most drinkable cab can suggest from the standard wine menu by glass and same question for wine cellar on escape, ok if need to pay a little over $15 limit.

There isn't any. Unless you have a ship that has a wine bar

In February, on the Dawn, there was one-count'em-one Cab to choose from.

Just to present an alternative viewpoint... I quite enjoyed my glass of cabernet at Cagney's on the Escape! Granted, I'm more of a beer guy - but if this is what people are referring to as "nasty"... I'll simply smile and shake my head.

I've also been known to enjoy a "nasty" beer if that's all that's available. :)

f3c94105ec171e14a02a4c57fee63ebf.jpg

Well, not a problem :D for us since we don't drink - DW might do 1/2 glass of wine at most. Sailing with another couple next month so we will probably pick from the (revised/new ??) list of complimentary wine for Platinum members :rolleyes:, LOL - bring one bottle home (use it for cooking, etc.) and open one bottle.

Sounding as if I can probably barter or trade with someone for 2 larger bottles of water onboard (like the ones in the stateroom, overpriced for sale + 18%, LOL) - save the trouble of bringing it home, last 2 bottles went to one of the nephew, for dropping us off at the pier with his car (a/k/a family limo)

Upscale freestyle cruising experience as promised a year ago, for our convenience, simplified selections with more paid choices - how exciting, hmmm :p

Edited by mking8288

It appears that you have an uneducated opinion. Do you drink wine? If you did you would know (as others have stated) that tastes have nothing to do with price/cost. Wine drinkers drink the wines they like.

IMHO the big discussion and disappointment is that NCL now has taken away the value of the UBP for wine drinkers by limiting the wines available by the glass. It has left wines that we have tasted and do not like necessarily; for example, not all Cabs or Chards taste the same. Cost is never really a player in this.

Secondly, can you tell me what studies you are referring to? I would love to read them. Could you post where I can find them? In the wine industry wine is not labeled 'cheap or expensive'. :rolleyes: It is judged on a whole list of things that give it its quality.

Also, what does 'being fancy' even mean? Seems like a jab based on naiveté which should make me laugh but I recognize that you may have limited knowledge, so I won't laugh.

Thanks in advance for the information you send me.

Safe sailing all!!

Ha- hilarious that you call me uneducated, when you lack the basic reading comprehension. I clearly posted a link in a previous post. Maybe you should read a little more next time. ;)

I do drink wine, and the link I provided clearly backs my opinion. Obviously taste has very little to do with cost, which is the point I'm trying to make. It's funny that you say that, yet you act like my argument is wrong. :confused:

Where did I say that win is labeled as cheap and expensive?? Hence the quotes around them. You clearly lack some basic understanding.

If you don't know what being fancy means, then you might have a problem. It was a jab, directed towards people who put on airs that they may be better than someone else, simply due to the cost of something. It is quite ironic that you say I have limited knowledge, when you can't even click on a link. :rolleyes:

Absolutely absurd: while a fool might pay $200 for a bottle of caustic Muscatel, the reasonably aware know that, while you might not get what you pay for, you sure as h..l will not get something you do not pay for.

Good wines are generally recognized as such and are in sufficient demand to command the higher prices which the rarity of the crop, the care of the vines, the timing of the harvest, and all the steps between vine and drinking require.

Your post is not very clear, however if you are referencing mine as absurd, please go read the link that I provided. It has more than enough evidence to back me up.

Anyone who drinks wine should be aware of the Brochet study.

Your post is not very clear, however if you are referencing mine as absurd, please go read the link that I provided. It has more than enough evidence to back me up.

Anyone who drinks wine should be aware of the Brochet study.

I drink a lot of wine at home, and my inlaws own a winery in the Napa Valley. I am very familiar with the studies you have referenced, as are most people involved with wine. I'm laughing that some seem to be taking offense for some reason. It's kind of funny.