Delayed Boarding Question

pfleer

Good morning!

My husband and I are taking a short, 3 day cruise on the Victory for our anniversary on April 28th. Just this morning, I received an email from Carnival that said boarding would be delayed due to "Beautification Project". They need extra time to load supplies, so we won't be departing Port Canaveral until 6, with boarding starting at 1:30. We're also returning to Port Canaveral a bit early, at 6am on Sunday. A little bummed since this is a short cruise anyway. Oh well, nothing I can do about that.

Anyway, my question is this. Our flights, of course, are already booked. We are leaving Columbus bright and early at 5:30am and get into Orlando at 7:35am. We are scheduled on a shuttle that leaves MCO at 9:15. Will they let us wait at the port until boarding?? I'm not sure, at this point, what else we can do other than loiter at the port.

Good morning!

My husband and I are taking a short, 3 day cruise on the Victory for our anniversary on April 28th. Just this morning, I received an email from Carnival that said boarding would be delayed due to "Beautification Project". They need extra time to load supplies, so we won't be departing Port Canaveral until 6, with boarding starting at 1:30. We're also returning to Port Canaveral a bit early, at 6am on Sunday. A little bummed since this is a short cruise anyway. Oh well, nothing I can do about that.

Anyway, my question is this. Our flights, of course, are already booked. We are leaving Columbus bright and early at 5:30am and get into Orlando at 7:35am. We are scheduled on a shuttle that leaves MCO at 9:15. Will they let us wait at the port until boarding?? I'm not sure, at this point, what else we can do other than loiter at the port.

I'm not sure about the "loitering" at the port, fellow Central-Ohioan :) You might look into spending a little time at the beach, since you will be on the Space Coast :) I know I would!

Port Canaveral is not a very good port to hang out at the terminal if it's not open yet.

I always rent a car at MCO. It's an easy drive (about 45 minutes), I usually pay around $75 for the car. Then I can drive around until the port is open.

Good morning!

You would be able to at least wait at the port, outside the terminal.

I would not be concerned about the earlier return to port; they are not forcing anyone off earlier due to it.

As for the delayed arrival; will the shuttle drop you off somewhere other than the terminal once you leave your luggage?

I agree with the advice to look into canceling your shuttle and renting a car. This will give you the freedom to walk on and around Cocoa Beach. Then return your car at one of the locations near the port and have them shuttle you to the ship.

Thanks everyone! I think we will get a rental. We've done that before. Maybe we can find somewhere to have a nice, relaxing brunch before boarding. We're gonna be tired after having to get up at 4am to get to the airport. :)

I would also recommend renting a car and returning it to Cocoa Beach. All the agencies there offer free shuttle service to the cruise terminal.

Rental agencies in Florida also don't slap you with a one-way fee like they do in other locations, so you'll typically pay just the daily/hourly rate and a little tax.

I had a car for 3 days prior to my cruise from MCO, returned it to Cocoa Beach, and it was just over $100 for the 3 days. You should be able to get a 1-day rental for around $50.

(Note: you "pay" for the complimentary shuttle to the cruise terminal if you rent a car on your return trip to MCO. Non-locals renting from Cocoa Beach are required to rent from "Cocoa Beach CRUISES," which are setup as second branches within the main branch. There is a $10-20 fee added, but that is only on the return rental. If you don't rent a car to get back to MCO, you don't pay it.)