Gym on the ship

shipbound2

Do you go to the gym while on a cruise?, if so what do you do.

Gary

I use the elliptical. I plug in my iPod, watch an action packed movie on the screen, and work off the chocolate chip cookies I so enjoy.

The gyms have been mostly empty when I went late in the day, say 4:00 or 5:00. I always had to wait for a machine when I went early in the morning.

My oldest son and wife hit the treadmill HARD everyday. The youngest son will just do some weights and basically get in the way. Me... I prefer to walk around the outdoor "track" as the sun continues to rise. The I go to the very front stairs, take the elevator down to the lowest possible deck and then climb the stairs to deck 14 (this was the Magic X 2)....then repeat 5 times. Hit the buffet and get a snack to enjoy on the upper deck while I cool down. Then to the adult area in the spa for some fruit water, shower in the Spa and meet the family for brunch about 9am. Love it!

My goal is not to lose muscle tone while on a cruise so that I don't have a ramp-up period at the gym when I get home. On the cruise I'll just do a half hour on the treadmill, some stretching, and then cycle through some of the weight machines. Usually just on sea days.

Do you go to the gym while on a cruise?, if so what do you do.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm at the gym daily, just as I am at home, and for last 30+ years:eek:

Most gyms onboard open at 6am they're crowded late morning on first day or 2... and more so on sea days.

The newer ships have the more up-to-date equip. Check with those who have been on the specific ship you're sailing.

Mike

I went--but not enough!--on my recent cruise. Did a treadmill run one day, cycled another, and did weights another. I was really annoyed the spin bikes were locked up, so I had to use one of the other exercise bikes, and I just don't like the position they put me in. But, the spin classes were $12 and at weird times, so I didn't bother to attend. I go in the morning, around 6:30 or 7, and it was pretty busy every time.

Getting back to my regular workout routine this week has been rough!

I usually just go on sea days, hit the treadmills and get a lot of different work outs in with just dumbbells, some machines for tri's/legs.

The gym was always packed though on the Pride, no matter what time of the time I seemed to go. I noticed there was a lot of employees working out in the gym which I didn't really appreciate. It was already a packed gym, and the employees got to work out in there too? Don't they have their own gym?

Yes, I enjoy getting in a 30 min strength training workout every other day, walk briskly on the track talking to other walkers and taking the stairs more often then not. I've had people ask "why do you work out on vacation?" and I answer "because it makes me feel good":D.

They have Life Fitness machines and a fairly adequate amount for different body parts. Free weight/dumbell section is small but you can still improvise something to hold you over. Then there's the amount of walking I do on the ship and in port. It's better than nothing.

Every day. Usually the 5-10th person in the gym at 5:50AM:eek:

Row 20-30 minutes, if rowing machine is available and after a 10 minute bike warmup. Then a rotating weight set with free weights or machines, then use the gym showers, and go have breakfast:D

I agree with a previous poster that it's too bad the spin cycles are locked up as they are much better than the Lifecycle machines. One time I found them NOT chained and pulled one out and used it. Some gym "instructor/useless supplement salesperson" chided me for using the equipment. Gave them a:p and went about my business. Never seen them unchained since.

My oldest son and wife hit the treadmill HARD everyday. The youngest son will just do some weights and basically get in the way. Me... I prefer to walk around the outdoor "track" as the sun continues to rise. The I go to the very front stairs, take the elevator down to the lowest possible deck and then climb the stairs to deck 14 (this was the Magic X 2)....then repeat 5 times. Hit the buffet and get a snack to enjoy on the upper deck while I cool down. Then to the adult area in the spa for some fruit water, shower in the Spa and meet the family for brunch about 9am. Love it!

I'm stealing this workout regimen for my next cruise. I don't like being cooped up in the gym- even on the ship with those views.

I like the stairs part of this! Which stairs go all the way down to the top deck? Is it the ones in the middle?

At least on the Dream, I felt that the ceiling over the treadmills was low. I am 5'9" and thought anyone over 6'3" might have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I completely agree! I'm about 5'9" too, and it's a little close for comfort, especially if the boat is rocking!

I ran 4 miles on the treadmill two days out of our 5 day cruise. The first was a sea day and the place was packed.. but I was lucky to get the last machine. The second day I went was a port day we decided to stay on the ship, and I was the only one in there. The gym on the fascination was really nice and had everything you needed. I had every intention of going more.... but the second port day we were out on an excursion, and the last sea day was really rough and I could barely walk around the ship, much less run on the treadmill. lol