What can family with kids do in Nassau?

michelle.zhang.90

We visited Atlantis last year so we will not go this time.

I know there are some resort like the Hilton or Melia, etc. Just curious if we do not go to the resorts, is there any other places we can go for the port day in Nassau? The ideal place for us is a nice beach where we can rent some beach chairs and umbrellas, and get some seafood and beers from the local vendors. Any suggestions?

Last time we walked from the ship to the Pirate Museum then over to Junkanoo Beach. The Pirate Museum is quite large and very interesting and Junkanoo is the beach on the other side of Senior Frogs, you can see the ships from there. Junkanoo is not the prettiest beach but itinerary above is cheap and easy for a family.

I know there are some resort like the Hilton or Melia, etc. Just curious if we do not go to the resorts, is there any other places we can go for the port day in Nassau? The ideal place for us is a nice beach where we can rent some beach chairs and umbrellas, and get some seafood and beers from the local vendors. Any suggestions?

So the ideal day for your family is to find a beach get some food and some beer. I wish I had you for parents when I was growing up :):):).

Kinda like the ideal beach day for the parents and hopefully the kids will be happy too.

If you want a family thing, try the Ardastra Zoo. http://ardastra.com/home/hours-and-ticketing

It is good for about 1/2 a day and the kids will love it.

(No beers there though)

Cheers

Len

We are going to try the Melia for a beach day. We thought about Atlantis (really wanted to do Blue Lagoon but we would have a very short time to enjoy all there is to do there) since it is close to the pier, but I couldn't stomach the price for literally just a spot on the beach so we saw recommendations for Melia and after looking into it, it seems like a good fit. We do not plan on getting the all inclusive package, just the beach/pool access. Our kids are 6 & 9.

We are going to try the Melia for a beach day. We thought about Atlantis (really wanted to do Blue Lagoon but we would have a very short time to enjoy all there is to do there) since it is close to the pier, but I couldn't stomach the price for literally just a spot on the beach so we saw recommendations for Melia and after looking into it, it seems like a good fit. We do not plan on getting the all inclusive package, just the beach/pool access. Our kids are 6 & 9.

I am also looking into Melia or RIU as they both look beautiful in pictures. We have a 7 year old who loves the beach and pool, so we figure it will be great for him and us. Have you found pricing on Melia? I am having trouble finding it's pricing. I want to compare them RIU.

I am also looking into Melia or RIU as they both look beautiful in pictures. We have a 7 year old who loves the beach and pool, so we figure it will be great for him and us. Have you found pricing on Melia? I am having trouble finding it's pricing. I want to compare them RIU.

I think $35 for adults, half price for kids, at Melia.

The Hilton British Colonial is a great choice. You can walk to it from the ship (about 10 Mins). You pay $60.00 dollars per adult and get $40.00 credit for food and beverage.

We have done this twice and enjoyed it both times. We took our grandchildren the last time and they had really good time. The beach is very nice and the pool was really nice, too.

Last time we walked from the ship to the Pirate Museum then over to Junkanoo Beach. The Pirate Museum is quite large and very interesting and Junkanoo is the beach on the other side of Senior Frogs, you can see the ships from there. Junkanoo is not the prettiest beach but itinerary above is cheap and easy for a family.

Thank you! I'll check out the pirate museum, it sounds interesting. Kids are really into pirate recently. junanoo beach I heard there were broken glass, etc, a little worried. Is there where tiki at? The one where we can get beer etc?

So the ideal day for your family is to find a beach get some food and some beer. I wish I had you for parents when I was growing up :):):).

Kinda like the ideal beach day for the parents and hopefully the kids will be happy too.

If you want a family thing, try the Ardastra Zoo. http://ardastra.com/home/hours-and-ticketing

It is good for about 1/2 a day and the kids will love it.

(No beers there though)

Cheers

Len

Thank you! Do you know if it's easy to get to the zoo from the port? I'll check with the kids if they want to go to the zoo. I know they really like the beach for sure.

We did Atlantis last time and it was good. The Dig was not as big as I thought but it's nice to see. I bet your 6 and 9 can do many water sports but I'm with you, for the short time on port, the price is not worth it. Melia has better price.

The Hilton British Colonial is a great choice. You can walk to it from the ship (about 10 Mins). You pay $60.00 dollars per adult and get $40.00 credit for food and beverage.

We have done this twice and enjoyed it both times. We took our grandchildren the last time and they had really good time. The beach is very nice and the pool was really nice, too.

I really thought about the Hilton British Colonial, great location, etc. but when I looked at the pictures posted on tripAdvisor, seems like it does not have a good view. I do not like to swim/kayak next to the cruise ships....How as the view from your experience?

Do you know how to get to Melia?

BTW, the price for kids is not 17.5 but 25 on the website. Strange. we'll check it out.

Oops, it must have increased. You can take a 15 minute cab ride for $4 pp, or take the jitney ($1.50 pp?).

This would be mainly for older kids and adults if its still available: A few years back my adult son & I booked a bike tour of Nassau through Bahamas Outdoors. The guide picked us up in her car, drove us to her home and we biked from there. I never liked Nassau until we did this tour. It was just the two of us and our guide; she took us to the beach, through neighborhoods where we saw houses and locals, and spent a lot of time explaining the area, and expressing her love of Nassau. I know she does bird & nature tours, but I loved the bike excursion. It gave us a true appreciation of Nassau - not something you're likely to get from a place like Atlantis. As the guide said, "Why pay to visit fake ancient ruins when you can see the real Nassau?"

PS: I should mention I don't do much biking, and she allowed us to go at our own leisurely pace.

Thank you! Do you know if it's easy to get to the zoo from the port? I'll check with the kids if they want to go to the zoo. I know they really like the beach for sure.

The zoo isn't far, about 1 1/2 miles. You could take a taxi or use the #10 bus. The bu8s would leave you off about 2 blocks from the zoo. If you have a family and if the taxi is just for the ride and not per person, that would be your best option. Again, the zoo is about a 1/2 day adventure, after that, beach time would work well.

Cheers

Len

This would be mainly for older kids and adults if its still available: A few years back my adult son & I booked a bike tour of Nassau through Bahamas Outdoors. The guide picked us up in her car, drove us to her home and we biked from there. I never liked Nassau until we did this tour. It was just the two of us and our guide; she took us to the beach, through neighborhoods where we saw houses and locals, and spent a lot of time explaining the area, and expressing her love of Nassau. I know she does bird & nature tours, but I loved the bike excursion. It gave us a true appreciation of Nassau - not something you're likely to get from a place like Atlantis. As the guide said, "Why pay to visit fake ancient ruins when you can see the real Nassau?"

PS: I should mention I don't do much biking, and she allowed us to go at our own leisurely pace.

Nice! Very good saying! We will definitely give it a try when the kids are a little older. Any contact info you could share?

The zoo isn't far, about 1 1/2 miles. You could take a taxi or use the #10 bus. The bu8s would leave you off about 2 blocks from the zoo. If you have a family and if the taxi is just for the ride and not per person, that would be your best option. Again, the zoo is about a 1/2 day adventure, after that, beach time would work well.

Cheers

Len

Thank you Len!

Nice! Very good saying! We will definitely give it a try when the kids are a little older. Any contact info you could share?

http://www.bahamasoutdoors.com/

That's her website. Not sure if she's still into the biking part. I think what I enjoyed most was her passion for Nassau. She actually stopped while we were biking to scold some men who were cutting down branches for no good reason - very protective of the environment. She also published a book about birds of Nassau, which we ordered, She sent us the book when it was published along with a nice note saying she remembered us and asking about our family. The bike tour started from her home (which she drove us to - other side of Nassau); we played with her dog - it just had the feel of, not so much an excursion, as being a guest at someone's house. Again, I never cared for Nassau until I did this excursion.

How would I book my all day package for Melia beach? I've tried searching but I get hotel included. THANKS!

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. You can't just book the beach. Melia is a hotel and if you get a day pass, it includes the use of hotel property (pools, chairs, towels) and beach access.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. You can't just book the beach. Melia is a hotel and if you get a day pass, it includes the use of hotel property (pools, chairs, towels) and beach access.

Ha I totally understand that. I was looking for the link to book the all day pass or who you bought it from. When I tried doing a search, all I get is booking for the hotel rooms themselves. I don't see any offers to book the day pass.

I Just returned from my cruise this past Sunday. We have done Junkanoo beach in the past, but I would suggest Blue Lagoon. I had shorex credit on my cruise and this was a fun place. Nice ride over, my teen and I played volleyball, enjoyed the shallow water, beach on ocean side, live music and the lunch was included(choice of hotdog, hamburger or grilled chicken breast+ bbq chicken, peas n rice or French fries and salad fixins). There are plenty of hammocks in the shade, we got one on the waters edge. There was also water slides, trampoline in water for the children and adults to enjoy. We stayed until the 4pm ferry left. I would do this again. It was a great day.

Ha I totally understand that. I was looking for the link to book the all day pass or who you bought it from. When I tried doing a search, all I get is booking for the hotel rooms themselves. I don't see any offers to book the day pass.

Gotcha. Try this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2307300

We do not plan on getting the all inclusive package, just the beach/pool access. Our kids are 6 & 9.

You might want to consider one of the food packages. The options we had at booking would've added ~$70 for the buffet and much less for the O'grille cafe. The buffet onsite was $36 for adults and $18 for kids. It was a nice looking buffet, but no high dollar items to justify that price (even given the location).

I booked no food and had planned to buy something, thinking a it would be a snack for $20 or $30. I did not realize that there would be almost nothing to buy ala carte. We wound up with the last two small-ish $10 sandwiches from Starbucks in the lobby. At 11:30am! It might be possible to walk somewhere, but I did not come prepared with that knowledge. Next time I'll probably buy the O-Grille option to have some reliable food at a controlled cost.

Oops, it must have increased. You can take a 15 minute cab ride for $4 pp, or take the jitney ($1.50 pp?).

It was $18 each way for the cab 2 weeks back. We got stuck with an inconsiderate couple who didn't know where they wanted to go so we made a few side trips before we finally got dropped off. Should have taken the jitney, at least on the way there. No problem getting a cab to come back.