Gratuities info please

twinaxell

Like everything else within the IRS, that's not the whole, convoluted code.

I have a sis in law that has been a waitress about 40 years. Let's just say most of her income is untaxed, where as every dime I make is taxed.

Her daughter is also a waitress. Same for her and from the spending spree she goes on every year after tax refund time, I would say she is getting a nice earned income credit too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here there is a very BIG difference in wages and the crew on ships have it worse earning room,board and about $50 per month. .

Really, $50 per month, this is one of the facts you are sharing. You know this to a fact how, lady??

Edited by nissach

Hi first time cruising with carnival, can anyone give me information on the options for paying gratuities on board please . thanks in advance:

You can go to Guest services and remove them from your account. Then pay only those who serve you in cash. They will provide envelopes to you if you want them. Just an option.

Thank you hog rider that's all I needed to know

As he said, you CAN ... the real questions should be:

• Is that the best way for YOU to do it
  • Will everyone who would be tipped using the Carnival auto-tip receive tips
  • Is this the way you SHOULD do it

Personally, although I know that I CAN remove the auto-gratuity and spread the cash in envelopes, WHY would I? This way it is taken care of, everyone who should receive the gratuity does so, and I can appreciate those who go above and beyond with a little extra.

It is absolutely acceptable. Guest Services used to keep envelopes just for that reason, but it's been several years since I've seen one on board. You may want to bring some small ones specifically for this.

I have cruised with Carnival 27 times -- most recently last November and this past January. I have always gotten envelopes at Guest Services to add additional tips for Wait Staff and Cabin Stewards, in addition to the $12/day/person.

I also add additional tips to bar staff who go out of their way to keep us happy. :D

Edited by tandemcruzr

I have cruised with Carnival 27 times -- most recently last November and this past January. I have always gotten envelopes at Guest Services to add additional tips for Wait Staff and Cabin Stewards, in addition to the $12/day/person.

I also add additional tips to bar staff who go out of their way to keep us happy. :D

Doesnt mean they are wrong because you over tip.

Doesnt mean they are wrong because you over tip.

I think that the poster was replying to the person that said they didn't think the envelopes were still available. I have also always been able to find the envelopes at the desk.

Yep, you can opt out of the automatic gratuities and get envelopes...however, please understand that those automatic gratuities may be distributed to those behind the scene that you may not realize are there. Typically we leave the auto grats on and leave extra if anyone has gone above and beyond...having worked in the service industry in the past, I know there are people that get a cut of tips that people may not think about and by removing the automatic gratuities, it could result in people that are deserving of those tips not receiving any.

Yep, you can opt out of the automatic gratuities and get envelopes...however, please understand that those automatic gratuities may be distributed to those behind the scene that you may not realize are there. Typically we leave the auto grats on and leave extra if anyone has gone above and beyond...having worked in the service industry in the past, I know there are people that get a cut of tips that people may not think about and by removing the automatic gratuities, it could result in people that are deserving of those tips not receiving any.

If tipping is to reward exemplary service performed for you, this would hardly be called a tip.

And the reason why one should NEVER allow someone else to do the tipping for them.

If tipping is to reward exemplary service performed for you, this would hardly be called a tip.

And the reason why one should NEVER allow someone else to do the tipping for them.

Good Point!

I have read in some other thread, (not sure of which cruise line), that in cases where people do remove their automatic gratuities, and give individual envelopes to stewards, waiters, etc.; that the recipients are required to turn over those envelopes to the ship for distribution....not sure how that works, or how they would 'know' how much the recipients actually received....

Has anyone any knowledge of this? It would be like waiters at restaurants "pooling" all tips.....