Firstly is it possible and secondly if it is , is it really rude?

I don't know how easy it is to switch from regular MDR dining to MTD, but it's easy to change tables in the MDR. No, I don't think it's rude. Just talk to the headwaiter or Maitre D' and it's usually easy.

Once we were the only two people at a table for 8! We asked about our table mates, but it turned out we were the only 2 assigned to that table - weird! The headwaiter apologized, we asked to move to a table with people, and it was done.

Once we changed because our 6 dinner companions all spoke a different language - now that was awkward! No problem with our request to change, and our new table assignment was fine and linguistically appropriate.

The third time was pretty funny...we ended up not changing tables, but we (and 6 tablemates) convinced the 5th couple at our table for ten that THEY would be much happier at a table for two. The woman was a total PITA and complained constantly about the service. She was demanding, demeaning, and rude to the wait staff. So all of us started telling her that service was always slow at large tables. We were 8 people who had never met before, but we united against this lady, communicating with discrete eye rolls, raised eyebrows, subtle thumbs up signals, and smiles behind napkins. The suggestion (table for 2) was made by one guy at the table when the waiter brought our starters. The rest of us quickly agreed, jumped in, and took turns extolling the benefits of a two top. By the time they brought dessert that night she had already talked to the headwaiter and arranged to move to a two top for the rest of the cruise. We dodged the bullet on that one! Once that couple left, the rest of us had a great time at dinner.

So, it happens! Not everyone is compatible. If it happens to you, it's fine to ask for a change. They will accommodate you if it's possible.

Judy

OMG I think we cruised with that same couple!:eek::D

Only we couldn't get rid of them. Thankfully they did specialties on enough night that we all could cope. It did get awkward the last night they were late, thought they weren't coming, the rest of us were exchanging emails & FB info. Noone asked them :rolleyes:

We have been lucky that we have always had interesting table mates. Once we were seated next to a group that drank a lot and as they drank, their political arguments got louder and louder. One lady carried a stuffed elephant to the table... We were all happy not to be with them.

Once DH and I were the weird ones. We sat at what we thought was our table, was joined by a lovely multigenerational family from Puerto Rico. At the end of the night the waiter whispered in our ears that we had sat at the wrong table. We were so apologetic, but we got to see them multiple times over the week and had some good laughs. I still laugh at myself whenever I think of it.

We have been lucky that we have always had interesting table mates. Once we were seated next to a group that drank a lot and as they drank, their political arguments got louder and louder. One lady carried a stuffed elephant to the table... We were all happy not to be with them.

Once DH and I were the weird ones. We sat at what we thought was our table, was joined by a lovely multigenerational family from Puerto Rico. At the end of the night the waiter whispered in our ears that we had sat at the wrong table. We were so apologetic, but we got to see them multiple times over the week and had some good laughs. I still laugh at myself whenever I think of it.

So I should tell my guy to leave his Trump shirt at home!!!:D:D:p

So I should tell my guy to leave his Trump shirt at home!!!:D:D:p

My mother taught me not to talk about sex, religion or politics at the table....It has the possibility of ruining the digestion. I would have thought the woman was strange no matter what stuffed animal she brought to the table. I don't know if this group knew each other prior to the cruise but the arguments were very heaters!

WE LOVE having tablemates! So far, we've had none that "offended" us or took away from the evening meal. Most folks are VERY friendly...you all have cruising in common...so vacationing is a good topic to talk about!

Unless YOU are really particular, you'll get along with anyone for 2 hours....jeez.

"Bad" Tablemates will give you a good topic of conversation later. Go with the flow. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get along with humans...that's what we humans do!

Sorry, there are plenty of situations where I have to put a smile on my face and get along with people I don't care for. However, vacation isn't one of them.

Definitely ask to move. You're on vacation and should enjoy it! We had a 2 top and almost asked to be moved! The man at the next table was so opinionated and full of himself, rude to head waiter, complained about everything that we didn't want to listen to him anymore. We decided to amuse ourselves by calling on the head waiter etc and praising everything he's just complained about. Childish I know but someone had to let him know he was being an a**

As others have said you can do MTD and then if you like the people at the table you can all agree to meet there again at the same time every night. We've done that on 3 cruises so far. Or, if you don't really hit it off you can join with an entirely different group, even at a different time, the next night.

It's the best of everything. You can also take a night off to have just two of you if you'd like.

We also don't mind sitting with different people on different nights.

I'd just do MTD if I were you (or if I was me).

Tom

Edited by tserface

OMG I think we cruised with that same couple!:eek::D

Only we couldn't get rid of them. Thankfully they did specialties on enough night that we all could cope. It did get awkward the last night they were late, thought they weren't coming, the rest of us were exchanging emails & FB info. Noone asked them :rolleyes:

Oh dear...if it was the same couple, you endured them more than we did and I admire your patience. One night was about my limit with those people!:eek:

Definitely ask to move. You're on vacation and should enjoy it! We had a 2 top and almost asked to be moved! The man at the next table was so opinionated and full of himself, rude to head waiter, complained about everything that we didn't want to listen to him anymore. We decided to amuse ourselves by calling on the head waiter etc and praising everything he's just complained about. Childish I know but someone had to let him know he was being an a**

What do you bet he was related to the woman in the couple above...:rolleyes: I think it's a hoot that you neutralized him with the headwaiter - great idea!

Judy

I talk to customers all day, some of which I would not want to spend any time at dinner with, but I get paid for that, so i put a smile on my dial. So when I am paying for a holiday I am not obliged to put up with people whose company I am not enjoying. They are probably not that keen on me either lets face it. Some people you just don't click with in life, so, unless you are related, move on and enjoy yourself.

a question, just to clarify how MTD works (we had traditional dining on our first RCI cruise). If I make reservations for a specific time (for our group of 5) will we get a table for 5 or is there a chance we will be seated with others? Or with MTD are you only seated with others if you request that??

a question, just to clarify how MTD works (we had traditional dining on our first RCI cruise). If I make reservations for a specific time (for our group of 5) will we get a table for 5 or is there a chance we will be seated with others? Or with MTD are you only seated with others if you request that??

You are only seated with others if you request it.

Most of our tablemates have been interesting people but we've had a few "stinkers". We've always asked for late seating at a large table, but, more and more, we're finding there seem to be fewer people dining in the MDR and we are often alone. It is a little awkward to be the only ones seated at a table for 8 or 10 but we still enjoy each other's company, even after 43 years, so we make the best of it.

Sherri:)

We've done MTD several times as a couple and requested a table for two. Tables for two are often placed parallel to each other; you're close enough to converse ( or not!) with the tables near you. Only problem we ever had: we were third in a row of three tables for two. On the 4th night the waiter sat us at the middle table; the couple that sat there previously were quite indignant -they thought we "stole" their table! We didn't choose to sit; the waiter put us there! Tables were identical; never understood why it was so upsetting to them.

Only cruise DW and I went on alone (we usually cruise with a group of friends or our kids ) We took on a whim , short notice , and just wanted a leisurely getaway . We knew we didn't want to do formal nights and it was just for some alone time after a little hectic time we were having that was finally over .

This was before My Time, Any Time etc dining . We got a table for 6 ...fine whatever its just for dinner.

one couple nice enough , pleasant company . The other couple had to be the inspiration for Liz Taylor and Richard Burton in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

This was a marriage that disintigrated years ago , but they only stayed together because they didn't want to give each other the satisfaction of meeting someone else and being happy :)

She was actually worse. You asked a question (especially the husband ) you got this snotty sarcastic answer and some long rant and rave. My ex wife's mother was exactly like this , so my tolerance for this kind of behavior is zero, zip, zilch. Why do these kind of people even go on a cruise ?

I always say stupid people were put on this earth for my personal entertainment. But you could see the other couple were almost afraid of her and very uncomfortable .

After dinner that night , DW and I agreed just hit the buffet the rest of the cruise . The second night of the cruise we did just that and who is in line a few people away , but the nice couple at the table.

The rest of the cruise we met at the buffet every night and had a wonderful time.

Our tablemates have all been pretty decent. One couple couldn't figure out why my 8 year old had never had a mojito before (yes, they were cruising with a child as well)...exactly how does one answer that other than "Uhhh, because she's 8" But I guess they decided we weren't interesting enough for them because they either didn't eat MDR again or switched tables.