New dining package on Anthem -- BOGO 2 Night Dining Package - 2 meals for $30!

I'm sailing Anthem to Canada/NE at the end of August. I just logged into the Royal site to see if anything had changed, given all the talk about Dynamic Dining going away. They're still showing DD, but I was shocked (pleasantly so) to find something called "BOGO 2 Night Dining Package". It costs $30 per person and includes specialty dining the first two nights of your cruise. Unless I'm missing something, this is an amazing deal since $30 is the lowest restaurant price, with Chops and Wonderland costing more (so it could be worth as much as $88 if you go to those 2). It seems that they pre-book your dining, but you can change the times and restaurants (but not days) once you get on board. We ate at Wonderland in January and wanted to try Jamie's this time. This way, we should be able to do both for $30 total per person. I wonder if this is for Anthem only, or if they're offering it on all ships? I know that Diamond+ gets 50% off the first night, but I'm only Diamond. On Oasis last March they were offering 50% off specialty dining on the first night and both formal nights, but I did not see a 50% offer on Anthem (I did get 30% off the first night).

Here are the details from the Cruise Planner:

OVERVIEW

Experience two of our specialty restaurants for the price of one when you purchase the BOGO 2 Night Dining Package for your cruise vacation. Select your dining party and your preferred dining time and a courtesy dinner reservation will be made on your behalf once onboard in two specialty restaurants for the first two nights of your cruise. On Day 1, you will receive your reservations confirmation in your stateroom. If you would like to amend your dinner reservations, simply visit one of our Hospitality Desks or any specialty restaurant.

Kids ages 6-12 now dine at our specialty restaurants for a discounted price. Ages 5 and under eat free! Plus, little cruisers get their very own menu - a round-up of kid-friendly favorites from the "grownups" menu.

INSIDER TIPS

This offer requires dining on Days 1 and 2

You can make amendments or additional reservations on your first day onboard to guarantee preferred dining time and restaurants

Our staff can add your kids to your existing reservation at kids' prices once onboard

Edited by MisterBill99

Maybe this is one way to free up needed space in the free dining rooms?

For $15 a meal instead of $30-49, they can have our seats!

Presumably it also helps them fill the specialty dining venues the first two nights, while most people would book them later in the cruise.

Edited by MisterBill99

Just checked and this deal is available for our sailing on the 18th.

Very tempting - even though we were not planning to do any specialty dining.

My only concern is the kids (6,8). The deal says you must do it the first two nights but the kids club is even not open the first night so they will absolutely have to come with us. They come out to dinner with us all the time but I have heard wonderland in particular can be torturous for kids.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My only concern is the kids (6,8). The deal says you must do it the first two nights but the kids club is even not open the first night so they will absolutely have to come with us. They come out to dinner with us all the time but I have heard wonderland in particular can be torturous for kids.

Thoughts?

Are your kids adventurous eaters? Wonderland can be long but it's fun (or at least I thought it was). Hopefully you could get something other else the first night. Jamie's might be good for them.

Edited by MisterBill99

Also available on my May 14th sailing.

It does seem like a good deal, but with the D+ BOGO purchase on the first night, it would only be worth it if we wanted to do more than one specialty restaurant. I do love Chops and I was thinking about doing Jamies or Wonderland. Is Wonderland included in this?

EDIT: the way it's worded on the website, it sounds like they pick the two for you, right?

Edited by cot427

Also available on my May 14th sailing.

It does seem like a good deal, but with the D+ BOGO purchase on the first night, it would only be worth it if we wanted to do more than one specialty restaurant. I do love Chops and I was thinking about doing Jamies or Wonderland. Is Wonderland included in this?

EDIT: the way it's worded on the website, it sounds like they pick the two for you, right?

It doesn't say that Wonderland isn't included, so I'd certainly expect that it will be. It says they pick the restaurants but you can change it once on board. Now, it's possible that some times may not be available, but if you check early enough I'd think you will be able to switch. Wonderland wasn't busy at all when we ate there the first night of our Anthem cruise in January, so I'd imagine that getting a reservation there would not be a problem if they hadn't already assigned it to you.

Are your kids adventurous eaters? Wonderland can be long but it's fun (or at least I thought it was). Hopefully you could get something other else the first night. Jamie's might be good for them.

One of them is, give him steak and shrimp and he is good. The other one not so much, carb boy would be perfectly happy with a plate full of white rice, French fries or plain pasta. I really don't know where he came from lol. I would imagine any of the specialties could come up with at least one of his staples to keep him busy until we could supplement with watermelon from the windjammer. I was mostly worried about the time involved.

How will this work with the D+ BOGO for the 1st 2 nights?

Either/or, since this is prepaid. Given the $30 pricing, it's cheaper than the D+ offer, unless you were to eat at Jamie's both nights. And it could make it harder for D+ to get the BOGO reservations if this succeeds in making the specialties busier those nights.

It will be very interesting to see how this works once someone books it and is on board, although with the normal dining packages they pick your places after the first night, so this isn't all that much different (other than it needing to be both nights).

Edited by MisterBill99

It doesn't say that Wonderland isn't included, so I'd certainly expect that it will be. It says they pick the restaurants but you can change it once on board. Now, it's possible that some times may not be available, but if you check early enough I'd think you will be able to switch. Wonderland wasn't busy at all when we ate there the first night of our Anthem cruise in January, so I'd imagine that getting a reservation there would not be a problem if they hadn't already assigned it to you.

Thanks for the info!

I have never not ate in the MDR the first or second night...usually like to get to know the wait staff and set expectations/get expectations before leaving a night. I feel that somehow missing the first 2 nights doesn't set a good tone when you start to go on night 3. Has anyone had experience with this?

I have never not ate in the MDR the first or second night...usually like to get to know the wait staff and set expectations/get expectations before leaving a night. I feel that somehow missing the first 2 nights doesn't set a good tone when you start to go on night 3. Has anyone had experience with this?

Well, I had normal Dynamic Dining booked (which presumably will become My Time Dining when they finally announce that DD is dead), so it doesn't apply to me. What I've done in cases where I had normal dining and ate somewhere else the first night was stop by the MDR the first night and say hello and explain that I was eating somewhere else that night.

Now, if you're only on a 5 night cruise, and value getting to know your server, this is probably not a good deal for you. For a 12 night cruise it would probably still work.

Edited by MisterBill99

GTY booking for upcharge venues - if it's good enough for your cabin it's good enough for dinning.:cool:

Interesting analogy! The good news is that it seems to be a little more flexible than GTY. But maybe they're seat people next to the kitchen :).

Edited by MisterBill99

Well, I had normal Dynamic Dining booked (which presumably will become My Time Dining when they finally announce that DD is dead), so it doesn't apply to me. What I've done in cases where I had normal dining and ate somewhere else the first night was stop by the MDR the first night and say hello and explain that I was eating somewhere else that night.

Now, if you're only on a 5 night cruise, and value getting to know your server, this is probably not a good deal for you. For a 12 night cruise it would probably still work.

Great tip - I was actually thinking about doing that if I purchase the package. We're on a 7-night so we would still have 5 nights in the MDRs.

Interesting analogy! The good news is that it seems to be a little more flexible than GTY. But maybe they're seat people next to the kitchen :).

Like with a GTY cabin, you can move within the same category, unless you booked in the UK in which case you are stuck next to the kitchen..:cool:

Edited by Biker19

Thanks for posting this. I just added it to my dining - I chose DD on our Anthem sailing so it doesn't matter that it's for the first 2 nights. I doubt we'll get to know any servers or develop a preference for any specific wait staff over the course of our cruise, so this works out perfectly!

One of them is, give him steak and shrimp and he is good. The other one not so much, carb boy would be perfectly happy with a plate full of white rice, French fries or plain pasta. I really don't know where he came from lol. I would imagine any of the specialties could come up with at least one of his staples to keep him busy until we could supplement with watermelon from the windjammer. I was mostly worried about the time involved.

Just off the Oasis (3/26/16 sail) and eldest grandkids had steak for 5 nights in the MDR and the other nights in Chops and Giovanni's. The steaks were a very good size and cooked close to perfection. The price for the 2 specialty restaurants for kids, was $10 per and worth every penny--I'm sure the same applies to the Anthem SR. The finicky one should do ok also.

Ps. Some nights the MDR dessert menu wasn't to my liking and I ordered the brownie sundae form the kids menu. LOL

Just off the Oasis (3/26/16 sail) and eldest grandkids had steak for 5 nights in the MDR and the other nights in Chops and Giovanni's. The steaks were a very good size and cooked close to perfection. The price for the 2 specialty restaurants for kids, was $10 per and worth every penny--I'm sure the same applies to the Anthem SR. The finicky one should do ok also.

Ps. Some nights the MDR dessert menu wasn't to my liking and I ordered the brownie sundae form the kids menu. LOL

Thanks! I did book the deal - hoping we get assigned Chops and maybe Jamie's. Wonderland looks a little scary even for me lol. Izumi would probably be fine too but I don't really want to worry about staying within $30 a la carte. I still feel like we are paying again for food we already paid for (which is why we weren't going to do any specialty dining at first), if we ended up with an additional bill I would be annoyed [emoji12].

Thanks! I did book the deal - hoping we get assigned Chops and maybe Jamie's. Wonderland looks a little scary even for me lol.

I really enjoyed Wonderland. There's enough different stuff that even if you just eat the entrees you'll do OK at $15 per person (much harder to justify at $49). See if they'll give your meat eater the huge short rib on the bone!

I really enjoyed Wonderland. There's enough different stuff that even if you just eat the entrees you'll do OK at $15 per person (much harder to justify at $49). See if they'll give your meat eater the huge short rib on the bone!

He would absolutely love that! He is part carnivore I swear[emoji3]. If only I could combine him and his carb boy brother we could have one very healthy eater. They both love fruit other than that if one likes something you can bet the other doesn't. One of the biggest things I'm looking forward to this trip - not having to figure out what to cook for dinner [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]