Dining with a saver fare booking

torty

If the dining time is so important to you, may I ask why you booked a saver fare? (Apart obviously from saving money...:D) The Terms and conditions are clear at the time of booking.

Whilst I have nothing against you personally , it does irritate me a little that so many people are booking saver fares and then complaining - sometimes quite loudly - about the fact that they may not get the cabin and or dining that they want!

Im not keen on the system that P &O use for their fare pricing structure, but it is what it is and you know when booking what you are getting for your money.

I am booked on a saver fare for my next cruise and we will accept graciously what we are allocated.

Completely agree Mm. I've read the various threads about this recently with interest and like others I find the moaning just a bit much. When we were still working we did a couple of last-minute guarantees and knew we had to accept what we got. One cruise worked out fine, the other less so. We now always book Select fare because choosing the time we eat and the location of our cabin is important to us. For example, eating at 6:00 just wouldn't suit us at all and we'd hate to be above a bar. Why should I then pay full price, even if it's just by £50, if people can then come along, choose the cheapest price fully aware of the Ts&Cs, then expect to get the same benefits as me?

We don't only cruise with P&O and cruise with the other lines mentioned here. Whilst the base price may be similar our on-board account is always higher on US based ships because of the on board prices and gratuities. There is no such thing as the perfect cruise line but we mainly choose P&O because overall they suit us best. However if there was anything about Celebrity, Princess, Cunard or RCI we really didn't like we wouldn't choose them again. If people feel strongly about P&O's policy on saver fares then they can do the same and not expect the best of all worlds.

Deep breath and ..... rant over!!!! :) I need to go and cuddle my cats and play with the dog!

Edited by tartanexile81

It doesn't matter what you want, it's what the shareholders of P&O want, bigger profits.

P&O are not charging a higher price for select fares to meet their customers wishes and lower prices for saver fare customers to deny their preference.

They are preying on the fear that you won't get something you want, early sitting, late sitting, etc. They are charging a fee to remove that fear.

Why would P&O now want to pointlessly annoy saver fare customers by refusing to accommodate a reasonable request. Even if they meet the request, select fare customers will still pay the premium because of the fear that if they booked saver their request might not be met.

It doesn't matter what you want, it's what the shareholders of P&O want, bigger profits.

P&O are not charging a higher price for select fares to meet their customers wishes and lower prices for saver fare customers to deny their preference.

They are preying on the fear that you won't get something you want, early sitting, late sitting, etc. They are charging a fee to remove that fear.

Why would P&O now want to pointlessly annoy saver fare customers by refusing to accommodate a reasonable request. Even if they meet the request, select fare customers will still pay the premium because of the fear that if they booked saver their request might not be met.

Indeed, their incentives to book early seem to be based more on stick than carrot ;)

Of course even with a select fare their dining request might not be met, only so many can fit in one sitting in the mdr.

They do not pointlessly refuse the request. If it can be accommodated it will be.

We do not go over to the American boards moaning how their ships operate that we do not like, we accept it does not suit us, and do not go on them. For the few on these boards (and on a full ship how many people do you actually think read CC) why don't you stay with the lines that accomate your wishes in a way you want, and leave with with pando that operates how we want.

An example : P&O Azura June 14 nights Baltics- Balcony-Saver Fare £1699. No choice of cabin or dining. £2031 for a select fare with choice of cabin and dining.

Celebrity Eclipse departing the same day £1407 for a guarantee balcony but with a free choice of dining or

£1683 with a choice of cabin and dining choice and free alcohol drinks package.

So £348 cheaper for an unrestricted fare on Celebrity with a drinks package included.

It's a no brainer.

Having sailed with both Celebrity and P&O I have to say the £1638 deal with drinks and choice of cabin and dining really is a no brainer! There are some really good things that Celebrity provide over P&O and I don't see how the difference can ever be justified, plus with the drinks package included you are saving your on board bill, far more than £348 saved.

Yes, of course shareholders want bigger profits. That's how capitalism works (but come the revolution ?)

All this is so easy to understand, those who have paid more get first choice, if there is anything left the cheaper payers get what's left.

I'm sorry if you can't get your head round the logic of this but it's not going to change anytime soon so best to get used to it.

David.

You don't get the chance at all, kruzgal. You just have to wait and see what you are allocated when on board.

Sorry, but that is just crazy. You should at least be able to state what your preference would be, whilst accepting there is no guarantee. How hard would it be for there to be a tick box where you say what your first choice would be and then they try and match it if they can.....madness.

I have booked on each of the different fare bases over the years. I think it is appropriate to think that whatever basis your fare is booked you are not guaranteed to get your dining option. You only increase your chances of obtaining the preferred option.

My current thinking is that it is better to book a cheap random balcony on a saver fare and hope to get a good dining option than booking a specific oceanview cabin on a select basis and know you are more likely to get your dining preference confirmed and hope you get upgraded to a balcony.

In terms of a dining allocation - they have got to give you one of the options.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Sorry, but that is just crazy. You should at least be able to state what your preference would be, whilst accepting there is no guarantee. How hard would it be for there to be a tick box where you say what your first choice would be and then they try and match it if they can.....madness.

You can do that for Early Savers, but not the Late Savers.

On the website it just says 'Saver Fare' - not early or late. Sorry, but I will never understand why they don't ask you what your preference would be, no matter what fare you are booking. People booking late on a saver fare are filling cabins that would otherwise be empty and the guests will be spending money onboard - they get a lower price but they do have the inconvenience of not having long to get ready, in addition to not having any choice of cabin. It would cost P&O nothing to ask what your preference would be for dining to try and make you happy - by not bothering to ask they give the impression of not caring whether you enjoy the trip or not. Very odd for a service industry.

Edited by kruzgal

On the website it just says 'Saver Fare' - not early or late. Sorry, but I will never understand why they don't ask you what your preference would be, no matter what fare you are booking. People booking late on a saver fare are filling cabins that would otherwise be empty and the guests will be spending money onboard - they get a lower price but they do have the inconvenience of not having long to get ready, in addition to not having any choice of cabin. It would cost P&O nothing to ask what your preference would be for dining to try and make you happy - by not bothering to ask they give the impression of not caring whether you enjoy the trip or not. Very odd for a service industry.

That about sums it up. If I book a saver on another line I am asked my dining choice at booking time. P&O could do this - they just don;t because they want to sell inflated Select fares as they know that customers will pay the premium to get what they want, or more chance off getting what they want.

I think they may have got the pricing structure wrong on some cruises. We've found that we've saved enough through saver fares to easily cover eating in the speciality resturants throughout a cruise - which seems unfair on those who pay full price and are stuck in the MDR with worse food. The benifits of the select fair really come down to a choice of specific cabin + possible upgrade. It doesn't seem worth it.

Unless things have changed in the last few months P&O do give you a chance to select your dining preference when you book a Saver Fare. Once your booking is confirmed and your Cruise Personaliser is running you go to the Dining option and there is a link to select you dining choice.

There is a very simple answer to this but you won't like it.

P&O have terms and conditions - they are theirs. You have a choice. Either accept their terms and conditions or book another cruise line. You do not have the option to change their terms and all the continual bleating about it wont make a scrap of difference. If you do not like what P&O offer then do not book with P&O

Unless things have changed in the last few months P&O do give you a chance to select your dining preference when you book a Saver Fare. Once your booking is confirmed and your Cruise Personaliser is running you go to the Dining option and there is a link to select you dining choice.

Only with an Early Saver, there is no option to do this with a Saver fare.

Sorry, but I will never understand why they don't ask you what your preference would be, no matter what fare you are booking.

This does surprise me as by asking which dining option people prefer you are not saying that you will get that option. You are simply increasing the amount of information P&O has about your booking and you. In fact the chances of getting your preferred option are higher on a Select Fare structure booking. However if the cruise line knew which dining option people preferred, when they booked the budget fare structure, they could put most if not all into the opposite option to the one people said they wanted and tell everyone this can never be changed. In this way the next cruise people book a higher percentage of people will book Select fares increasing the revenue to the cruise line.

Lol John

Edited by john watson

There is a very simple answer to this but you won't like it.

P&O have terms and conditions - they are theirs. You have a choice. Either accept their terms and conditions or book another cruise line. You do not have the option to change their terms and all the continual bleating about it wont make a scrap of difference. If you do not like what P&O offer then do not book with P&O

I don't think I am bleating......a forum is a place where people can express their opinions and that is all I was doing. I was simply surprised, having never booked a saver fare before, that P&O did not bother to ask their customers to express a preference in terms of dining, no matter what the fare. It is well known that all cruise lines have staff who monitor these boards and it is possible that my comments, and others expressed on this forum, will be read and fed back. Of course, whether it will be acted upon is another matter. If we don't express our opinion how will they know what potential customers are thinking?

This does surprise me as by asking which dining option people prefer you are not saying that you will get that option. You are simply increasing the amount of information P&O has about your booking and you. In fact the chances of getting your preferred option are higher on a Select Fare structure booking. However if the cruise line knew which dining option people preferred, when they booked the budget fare structure, they could put most if not all into the opposite option to the one people said they wanted and tell everyone this can never be changed. In this way the next cruise people book a higher percentage of people will book Select fares increasing the revenue to the cruise line.

Lol John

..... or cruise with someone else !!

- which seems unfair on those who pay full price and are stuck in the MDR with worse food. The benifits of the select fair really come down to a choice of specific cabin + possible upgrade. It doesn't seem worth it.

Some of us pay full price in order to choose the MDR dining option and do not feel that we are 'stuck with it' ;)

OK for all the posters on here who think pando are doing things soley to annoy THEM.

How about everyone expresses their pref when booking.

What you end up with you cannot change at all whatsoever.

Will that keep people happy. You would have a cheap fare and the option to state a pref. Of course not everyone who books late will get their preferred option. But hey people get their wish to be asked.

At least with the way it is, if it can be changed on board it will be.