Booked in March--price likely to come down?

lmintzer

Hi. I recently booked my first ever cruise (not including a terrible Greek Isles cruise taken as part of a European History Tour in high school--but that's a story in itself). We are an extended family of 6, sailing to Alaska on the Pearl trip to/from Seattle) at the end of July.

I was wondering if any of your experienced cruisers could tell me how likely it is for us to see a price drop for our staterooms (we booked a total of 2 mini-suites and 1 inside cabin for 6 people--midship MA) on deck 11.

I could post what we booked for here--not sure if that's allowed by Cruise Critic or not.

We booked through a TA, but honestly, I do all my own research and try to read up on as much as possible

TIA.

Prices may drop 30 days or 2 weeks prior to your cruise if it isn't full. Then you are past final payment and in the cancellation penalty period so the only possible option is to upgrade to a suite for the minis or into a higher category for the inside. Your TA would contact NCL and tell you what the options are, but be sure to ask if you would keep any promos you have with the original booking. Within the cancellation period, it probably would not be worth it to consolidate the inside and a mini into a suite - just depends on what the prices and penalties are at the time.

Edited by herdingdogmom

A price drop is possible once you get inside the final payment window and if there are rooms still available. Once you make final payment you can't take advantage of price drops...if you are still before final payment you can call the cruise line to adjust or possibly move up (the inside to ov or balcony, or the mini to a spa mini or regular suite). Not sure if you booked your rooms close together, that could complicate moving around if other possibilities open up. I'm not sure what the peak season for Alaska is...but I know that for many itineraries July and August are peak season and more likely to be at full capacity, so the price may not go down at all.

I recognize you from a parenting board!

I'm doubtful prices will drop until after final payment, if then (I think people some folks are doing AK instead of Europe this year). Keep an eye out and call if you see a lower price. You might be able to get the difference as onboard credit.

Since you have a group of 6, check for suite availability 30 days out. You might be able to get a Deluxe Owner's Suite or Garden Villa by calling the upsell number. (A search here will turn up the number.)

Lol. Small world. Or maybe it is that those who frequent one kind of message board often look to others too. : ) Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think we could bump up to a suite as a group because we all booked separately. Also we kind of would need/want more privacy than the shared accommodations would afford us. But it is an interesting thought. Would probably cost less than all of our separate bookings do and would be fun to have the luxury perks.

My PCC at NCL keeps track of my pricing, and will let me know if there's a price drop prior to my payment date, and will adjust my cost accordingly. I have a B2B aboard the Gem in a Penthouse suite coming up in October, and just got a $200 reduction on both legs just last week.:)

My PCC at NCL keeps track of my pricing, and will let me know if there's a price drop prior to my payment date, and will adjust my cost accordingly. I have a B2B aboard the Gem in a Penthouse suite coming up in October, and just got a $200 reduction on both legs just last week.:)

We have a b2b inside on the Gem out of San Juan October to November which we reserved last November and have seen the price go up $200 pp for each leg, a

total increase of $800.

Lol. Small world. Or maybe it is that those who frequent one kind of message board often look to others too. : ) Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think we could bump up to a suite as a group because we all booked separately. Also we kind of would need/want more privacy than the shared accommodations would afford us. But it is an interesting thought. Would probably cost less than all of our separate bookings do and would be fun to have the luxury perks.

We are a family of seven, and it's always cheaper to book multiple rooms in separate cabins than in one suite. I would think Alaska in July would be peak season, with high prices.

Price drops are possible at any time, not just after final payment, as some have said above. Just keep checking the prices, and if you see a drop, call your TA/PCC for an adjustment if before final payment. If it's after final payment, then call and beg.

We booked the Escape 16 months before sail date (coming up this May). 4 months before sail date the price dropped drastically. (This is despite all the talk on these forums about prices increasing so much.) We called our PCC and rebooked. It saved us several hundred dollars on our balcony cabin for 3. So it pays to make regular price checks. I usually look a couple times a week, and also on weekends.