laundry

babs135

From other posters here it's typically 35 - 45 min. depending on brand of machine and which cycle is used.

You cannot have it both ways in a communal laundry room. If you really don't want anybody else handling your clothes you have to resign yourself to being there when the wash cycle finishes.

Consider budgeting for the ship do your laundry. On QM2 they do an excellent job weather it's cotton shirts or a delicate silk dress. And there are many more pleasant things to do on board than engage in laundry room warfare. :D

Edited by BlueRiband

I've never seen anyone remove laundry from a machine in action but it does amaze me that anyone can put theirs in and think they can come back hours later. I've almost always been just down the hall from the laundry room and will nip back to the cabin for a few minutes but I am always back well before my machine stops.

I've only witnessed one episode:eek: but there have been postings over the years of laundry room fights.

There is one cycle that most of the machines are set at that takes approx 45 mins but say 40 the washing machine cannot be opened untill it has finished. I think instructions are posted on the wall, Never seen any of the horror stories and I have used the machines a lot. Sometimes you are lucky and can get a machine and other times its busy, just like anything else in life.

I like to do my wash keeps me in realality esp on a long trip. 🌺

How long is a wash cycle? I don't really want to hang around in the laundry but equally I don't want to return to find my washing has been removed by someone who wants the machine :eek:

Unless you're there when the wash is finished that's what will happen.

David.

The real horror stories involve the dryers. When they are running, they are fairly quiet so if you do not put your hand on the machine you can not tell if it is running or stopped. Therefore many people will simply open a running dryer, see that the clothes are not dry and shut the door and move on. Here is where the problem lies. The dryer does not automatically restart when opened and then closed, you must push the start button.

So you put your clothes in the dryer, someone opens the door and closes it does not push the button, you return in the proper time only to find your clothes still quite wet and the time run out (the timer part of the machine does not stop) or better yet once it stops, out come your wet clothes which are plopped on what ever surface is empty at the time and these are not always as clean as one might wish. That is when the fireworks go off. Not pretty but amusing if it is not your wash.

You best bet is to plan on spending two hours in the laundry room and you will be fine. Pick a port day that is not all that interesting and you will have the place to yourself early in the day.

Edited by Lakesregion

On QM2 they take 45 mins and have a sticker stating not to change the cycle. Make sure you are back at the 40 mins and you will be fine. The drying is a bit trickier as several cycles available.

One other issue is that a load of wash at 40 minutes, takes about 1.5 hours to dry, and so when washers are full, and an equal number of dryers to washers, there is a mismatch in that many wash loads are waiting for dryers. Best time to do laundry is during evening meal times.

So you put your clothes in the dryer, someone opens the door and closes it does not push the button, you return in the proper time only to find your clothes still quite wet and the time run out (the timer part of the machine does not stop) or better yet once it stops, out come your wet clothes which are plopped on what ever surface is empty at the time and these are not always as clean as one might wish.

The laundry is much more popular on longer voyages than on a crossing, but still can be fairly busy.

Lakesregion makes a good point about popping back to check periodically because people do (unwittingly) stop the dryers and not restart them. And, it's not that difficult to pay attention to the time and arrive back to transfer clothing to the dryer or gather them when dry. As others have reported--it's about 40-45 minutes for the washer.

Rather than observing fist-fights, we have met some lovely people in the laundry and had time pass quickly because of interesting conversations. But, typically, we don't hang around in the laundry because it isn't a very large (or comfortable) room.

The only times we have seen people remove other's laundry was when no one returned at the time the laundry was finished.

We always bring hand-washing soap, as well as clothes pins, and use the line in the shower for smaller items. And, if needed, Cunard's dry cleaning service is excellent and not over-priced.

Jimmybean

I think if you get breakfast or lunch in Kings Court and come back 35 minutes later that will be about right. No need to stay there all the time and better to be a little on the early side than late. I've always had satisfactory dryer results in the same 45 minutes.

Roy

I don't know if things have changed but the last time I used a laundry room there was nothing to tell you how long the cycle would take.

It would be so helpful if they could put a sign up giving people an idea and also perhaps asking people if they could be sure to restart the dryers if they open them and find them full of damp washing.

British washing machines tend to have very long cycles (my most commonly used programme runs for 2 hrs and 40 minutes) so the first time I used the washing machine I didn't return for well over an hour and, of course, found that my washing had been removed (not a problem in my eyes) so that might explain why people don't come back quickly enough.

We always bring hand-washing soap, as well as clothes pins, and use the line in the shower for smaller items. And, if needed, Cunard's dry cleaning service is excellent and not over-priced.

Jimmybean

That always works for me as well.......though I never have the foresight to bring soap........I use the shampoo. ;)

Thanks for the replies. Here's another related question.

When is the best time to use the laundry? I'm thinking about embarkation day as (assuming we have actually booked the cruise!!!) we will have been away for nearly 2 weeks without any washing facilities. Will the laundry be open?

I think you mean disembarkation. It may be closed on that day, and no one would want to use it anyway. On the last cruise day though it will be open and probably busy.

The best time to use the laundry, as stated is when everyone else is eating.

David.

Thanks for the replies. Here's another related question.

When is the best time to use the laundry? I'm thinking about embarkation day as (assuming we have actually booked the cruise!!!) we will have been away for nearly 2 weeks without any washing facilities. Will the laundry be open?

I think it was open on embarkation day as we had been travelling beforehand as well. I think it was one of the first things I did but we are talking a few years ago now and I can't be certain.

We separated our laundry before boarding and brought it onboard in hand-carry bags---that way we didn't have to wait for our suitcases to be delivered and literally did laundry first thing.

By the time we finished, the laundry had became very active.

I don't know if anyone mentioned, but soap and machines are free on Cunard. No hassle search for the right coins. ….Gotta love Cunard :)

• 2 weeks later...

All sorts of things happen in the laundry room, some fun, some stressful, some downright dangerous! Others have confirmed the washing time, and it's a good idea to return close to the completion time since anxious washer-people will remove your clean clothes if you are not there. The mis-match with the drying times is an issue and the dryers are in demand. In my experience, it has all worked out, but I do a little celebration dance when it all comes together. Otherwise, just be patient and forgiving, or just hang out in the laundry room area, You might meet interesting passengers. Or not. Or spring for the cost of the laundry service and you can cruise/cross without stress.